Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I feel like we're due for something Bildungsroman.

Maybe they could work at a mushroom farm where they experience formative abuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please tread carefully, your name's on that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mustang posted:

Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

Yup, those are definitely Amazonian attributes.

Mustang posted:

Said they're considering me for other roles and they'd get back to me Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

This is very promising and I would follow up on it as well as possible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Had a fairly high level amazon meeting today. My god I've never seen any other company inculcate corpospeak so hard. I also didn't realize they've actually loving internalized "Amazonian" for both employees and their tendency to use corpospeak. Every other indicator of their internal practices was similarly dire.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

True, but on the other hand: no power point decks. Ever.

All I can tell you is that this is definitely false, per what we suffered through today. What does appear to be true is that the powerpoints will be a source of psychic damage for everyone involved, speaker and audience, other than the presumed attorney review that's responsible for the final product.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If a company wants a writing sample as part of an application, is submitting my dissertation too much?

:haw:

Give them your poasts

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Your amazonian attributes are showing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

After every interaction I've had with Amazon, including fairly senior folks, I'm more confused at the idea that Amazon has a "pedigree." What would having Amazon on your resume show? Permanent personality damage?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My comment was largely tongue in cheek- I understand that having a FAANG on your resume is helpful professionally. My sentiment is more that the company's profitability probably shouldn't be considered a shorthand for individual credibility or aptitude, especially for Amazon, where the actual experience of working within the company structure seems to approach parodic levels of dysfunction and toxicity, and a lot of their capacity for growth or innovation seems to be a product of insurmountable marketshare and resources. If I saw an Amazon work history of any length crossing my desk at the midlevel, I'd prep additional STARs about work-life balance expectations (including for others) and sharing credit and resources with lateral colleagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Habibi posted:

Had an interview last week that turned to salary expectations. I was pretty comfortable giving my range because it overlapped with the posting, only to have the recruiter tell me that the starting range was $30k less, and the posted range was the entire payband for the position. Okay, sure, except as I pointed out, the JD explicitly stated "salary at commencement of employment." She replied to this with a noncommittal "we'll try to fix that" (??) and I proceeded to cut the conversation short.

The next day I got an alert that they reposted the role. Ah, I thought to myself, I'm glad they fixed the language.

They did not fix the language.

Apply again.