Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I just finished school for my undergrad and I am looking for work. What's making it a bit weird for me is that I'm 32 years old. I worked as a customer service rep at an insurance company for about 5 years, moved to CT, worked as a paralegal for 3 years. Then I started going to school while working part time as a paralegal for a couple years before going to school full time for 2 years to finish my degree.

I am currently applying to paralegal positions in NYC. My qualifications as a paralegal are pretty good, and I have lots of things to work with there. My work at the financial company is not particularly relevant to paralegal positions. Also, I feel that it ages me. It makes it more obvious that I'm in my early 30s. I already have a middle-eastern name, and I don't need anything else working against me.

My main fear is that I'm going to date myself by putting in work experience from 2001-2005. I would rather look about 5 years younger based on my resume by avoiding listing the experience. Also, there is a gap in employment from August 2005 to February 2007 as I worked various small or temp jobs and was changing states.

Should I just avoid mentioning my work at the insurance company and just have my education and paralegal experience listed? I feel I should, but my wife disagrees with me.

Edit: Is there a major downside to not mentioning prior experience? Would an employer think you are dishonest if the job shows up on a background check?

walruscat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I got a connection request (which I accepted) from a recruiter who works for a firm I really want to work for and who has previously posted jobs similar to what I'm interested in, but he has not sent me a message. Would it be improper to message him and tell him I would be very interested in applying for any suitable openings he has? Just to be clear he requested a connection early yesterday.