Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

C-Euro posted:

Is it OK to take notes during a job interview? I did so during my last interview and the people who were interviewing me seemed confused, or at least I thought it slowed the interview down in an odd way.

Yes it is....

I once interviewed a guy for a MD/ED role at an investment bank and he opened his folder and in it was all of the interviewers' bios from our website copious other notes taken own - pages from the site highlighted and notated as well as his pad and pen.

He took copious amounts of notes and was the most prepared candidate I have ever interviewed.

It also depends what you are writing down - if the guys are telling you details about how things work which is not necessarily public then that's fine to write down. If you are writing down the questions they ask you then it is a bit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

^^^^^^ A good breakfast.

You are most likely not screwed. Amazing to see the adrenaline kick in in a real interview.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 15, 2013

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

hooah posted:

In the fall, I'll be returning to my alma mater to pursue a degree in computer science. I would like to get a job in the university IT department to supplement my GI bill stipend. I have a degree in music education and spent four years in a military band, during which time I also worked in our unit's Information Services section. I recently got a Network+ certificate.

I have some accomplishments I can list from the IS section, but it seems that my resume will be pretty empty. Do any of you see anything in my experience that I might be able to look into for related accomplishments?

Also see what the deal is with being a lab supervisor / tutor - most are 2nd or 3rd year undergrads....

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

RoboSpy posted:

I've recently decided to drop out of my PhD program after almost four years. Does anybody know a good way to indicate that on a resume? Should I mention it under education at all, or just list my research under experience, or both? I've read before that it's acceptable to mention something about "Graduate Studies, 2009-2013" that then says something like "Withdrew in good standing". Anyway, I did all my courses, passed all my quals, and did a few years of research, so it seems silly not to mention it just because I didn't finish my thesis. How do I do this?

After four years of research and experimentation the results were inconclusive and would have required an additional three years of research down a new line of reasoning which was unaligned with my area of interest and expertise and would have required an additional year of bridging courses......

You could say that if it is true....

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I know... I'm just saying that I think, among serifed fonts, something like Garamond or Bookman gives a nicer impression than TNR.

For sans serif I'm in love with Segoe UI recently, but unless your recipient has Windows 8 it's just gonna morph into Arial, which is not nearly as appealing.

Calibri is now the norm for business writing in most things I see.
TNR looks out of fashion (unless you are applying for a government job) Anything else - (except maybe Veranda for headings) is just too gauche to be Goon.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Are you perfectly confident that it's going to be perfectly groomed - I don't mean neatly, I mean perfectly - 100% of the time when you're working or in any way associated with the company?

Alright now are you perfectly confident that this guy you just met is going to keep his beard perfectly groomed 100% of the time for the next five or ten years?

I am perfectly confident that someone with hair will cut it if in a social sense it gets too long

this goes for beards ad well as mullets. It applies if they have any manners and grace. I am also almost perfectly confident that someone might change their hairstyle over time.

on reflecting on this I think it doesn't matter in a job Interview that a bearded guy might have a bad hair week sometime 5 or 10 years in the future.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

A good friend of mine applied for a job not so long ago. It was a bit out of his reach but he thought he'd go for it anyway. Needless to say, he didn't get it, but the interviewers loved him, so a few weeks later they offered him another position that had just come available. So it's not impossible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Most of the time the reason is that if they keep all names on file then when a head hunter refers them a candidate for a role they don't have to pay the fee - because they had the candidate on file.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

0zxy posted:

I'm having trouble finding advice on what to do for a specific issue I'm having with my education background on my resume. I was in school studying mechanical engineering from 2006-2010, but I had to change my major because of declining grades during a particularly rough time of my life (death of immediate family member in the middle of a semester that was completely out of the blue). The school took no mercy on my situation and disallowed me to finish my engineering degree. I was 80% of the way through and only had a few electives and a senior project remaining. I took one semester off and then moved to the college of arts and sciences in 2011 where I'll be finishing BS in geophysics this December and I've made nothing but A's and B's since I've changed majors. However, I began a research assistant position in the mechanical engineering department at the university in 2008 where I've been employed since and have been promoted to a facility and operations manager for the past three years. My boss was very understanding of my need to change majors and kept me on as I'm a huge asset to the program and have definitely helped it stay alive during some hard times with funding and staffing and I have extensive knowledge of the systems we're working with.

My question is whether or not I should list 'Mechanical Engineering 2006-2010' below my 'B.S. Geophysics 2011-2013' in my education section. If it makes any difference, I'm aiming at management positions as I've very much enjoyed my role as a manager in my current job.

Thanks in advance!

Yes but caveated with the word incomplete or some other such thing. Or completed 4 of 5 years in Mech Eng.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I'm looking at an application for a tutoring position and their application has a section for entering your own standardized test scores (in my case ACT, SAT, and GRE). The thing is, it's been seven years since I took the ACT/SAT and three years since I took the GRE so I don't remember any of them (and wouldn't know where I kept the scores that were mailed to me). The section says "Please fill out as many scores as you can. If you are selected for an interview, we will verify your test scores"

--How much do you think I'd be screwing myself by not including scores?

--Where could I look those scores up? I took a glance at the ACT's website and there's no obvious way to look up scores from before 2008.

This is interesting.

If there is a place anywhere in the application process for freeform text, I would:

• Put in estimates for the scores you sat
  • Declare them estimates with words to the effect that "I completed my SAT in XXXX and received a score of approximately YYYY or I completed my SAT in XXXX. The grades I included are approximations

If the hiring company says they want to verify the scores I would say "Do you need me to supply a notification - if so I am going to have to find out how to get one. If not great can I get a copy too....

This way if they ding you they at least have to make it a personal ding.

Or try this: http://www.actstudent.org/forms/ or call 319.337.1313

Hypation fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2013

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

toe knee hand posted:

I have an interview tomorrow for a paid internship with a research institute attached to a university. I have a Masters and some of the leads in the institute also only have Masters so it's not a place where everything is done by people with PhDs which I found interesting especially considering the university affiliation.

What are they likely to ask me? I spent some time thinking about interview questions and I came up with knowledge-based ones like "tell me what factors can influence this process that you'll be working on" and "what do you know how to do with R" and "what skills have you gained at your current job [I got a job in consultancy straight out of uni but we don't do Real Science there and I hate it] that would help you work for us" which is what I would ask, but a co-worker of mine generously went through a mock interview with me and she asked me things like "tell me about a time when you had to overcome a communication challenge" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "tell me about a time that you've used statistics" and now I don't know what to expect. I'm going to be interviewed by two technical people who I will be working with (one of whom is a former professor who probably doesn't remember me because I didn't really like his class) not HR people. Any ideas?

I got a comp Sci internship waaay back when.

The questions were primarily around research interests and how I expected to use those skills over time. There were other questions about my understanding of how the research organisation fit with the uni and which bits of it I thought were more interesting than others etc.

What the research institute did not want to see was someone coming in with straight A's and only doing it for the line item on the CV. They'd rather give it to someone who is still competent but is interested in the research they are doing.

If the institute is attached to the university they can get references and can talk to people about your academic qualifications easily.

Anyway this is only one example. I am quite sure it is possible your interview could be entirely different. But the underlying advice of demonstrating an interest and an inquisitive mind etc is universal.

Good Luck! :D

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Grumpwagon posted:

So I got a job offer today, pending a background check. I've never been worried about a background check before, but I'm freaking out about this one a little bit. I really want this job.

The reason is, in a move that seems incredibly stupid now, and definitely not something I'd do again, I fudged the date of my first job to make it more recent. I'm just out of school, and I don't have much relevant experience, so I moved this job up to occupy a time that I held an irrelevant job.

The background check form explicitly says that they may interview former employers. How likely is it that they actually do this, and will uncover this? I have to imagine it won't reflect well, but is that enough to rescind the offer?

Should I just hope it doesn't come out? Admit it now to get ahead of the issue?

Either way, lesson totally learned. The moral of the story: In what should be obvious, don't lie on your resume (at least not about things this easily checked up on).

From the employer's perspective (My experience is in doing grad recruitment and other investment banking job interviews) by the time you get to the point where you have gone through all of the process and found someone you want to hire; it is going to have to be pretty bad before you rescind the offer.

Typically the background check is a basic fact check - verify identity, criminal record and immigration status. They may or may not ask employers the date - likely they will. If it is an external screener or HR they will be more likely to take a formal approach. If they do ask, the bad news is all of the screening reports I've seen contain an exception report. The screener lives for the exception report because it proves they have actually done something. This assumes your old employer remembers the dates too - "Yes that sounds about right" could well be the answer. Sometimes they will get you to agree for them to do a screening report and just not complete it beyond the basics. Here with 1 past job they will be more likely to call.

If they call you on the year of the job then tell them the correct information - it was between X and Y. Agreeing on the spot basically hoses down the whole issue. But it may prompt the next question: So what were you doing between Y and today? This is the question that could screw you over. The tactical answer is to lie and risk getting found out again. The better answer is to say "[helping out.....[stuff]....by doing [this] [at this place]; while [doing this other thing] before pursuing a career. (If that's true of course). Make sure you have this answer ready to go.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 1, 2013

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

in_cahoots posted:

I got the offer! The recruiter is the one who called me and will email the terms. It turns out somebody was out sick so it just took them an extra day to regroup.

Congrats!!! :rock:

Hope it all goes well and it is fun.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Mondlicht posted:

I've been keeping myself up at night lately trying to think of ways to make my employment gap easier to swallow for the people that interview me. I am pretty sure it's what cost me my last interview, since even they admitted they were desperate to fill the position.

Short story is that I quit my 3 year job where I was a star employee because it was a miserable place to work, and found a job at a new opening restaurant much closer to home. I was told the pay would be the same, because they had other restaurants that they opened and they are some of the most well liked in the city. They opened and business was not even remotely busy enough, and my hours were cut from full time down to 10 hours a week. They tried to put me in a hostess position, which I had never done before, on the really busy brunch shift. I couldn't keep up, and my managers were nice to me and seemed understanding, but when I came home they called and fired me. They told me it was performance related, but I know that in reality they just didn't have the room to keep me. The other two baristas (my position) were hired from their other restaurants, so it didn't surprise me that they preferred to keep them over me, who had no history with them. I got another job a month after this, that I had to walk out of because of the owner yelling in my face/taking money from me/not paying me overtime. Neither of these jobs are on my resume, and I pretend that the second job didn't exist.

I think you have played it 80% correct....

I'd definitely put the job you moved to on your CV. Although I would not name it.

In two minds about the second - potentially that one too.

The first change is very well explainable by you... its black and white. The key is to get the interviewer to realise why you were no longer working there without explicitly saying it.
Focus on what attracted you to the move and then make comments about the number of staff and customers and the effect on your hours.

We would have [20+] tables with [5] wait staff. The busy period was between x and y. Then we'd have z many covers. For the rest of the time we'd do A covers. As a result my hours were cut back. I was happy to [do the hostess part] but even after a 75% 80%? cut in hours, I wasn't earning enough to break even myself and I could tell that the restaurant must have been losing money. I am nevertheless appreciative of the opportunity because I had the experience of being at the opening of a new restaurant, and it also gave me a heightened awareness of the financial elements of running a restaurant as well as a chance to work in other areas.

The second new job is a bit more iffy. That's because it amounts to a dispute with management over some issue. I don't know off the top of my head what to do on that one. I'm inclined to add it too the CV but again don't name the restaurant.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 4, 2013

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Mondlicht posted:

I don't really get how I'd put it on there without naming it, I think it would look really strange, but maybe people do that? It's hard to tell.

I work on various confidential projects, so I don't name the client or actual project - I just describe it in generic terms. For a restaurant that could be a bit different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

KernelSlanders posted:

I have a question about case interviews. Everything I've read about them and everyone I've spoken to has made a big point about how, after the interviewer has laid out the problem and you've asked some clarifying questions, you're supposed to take a minute to "organize your thoughts" or something like that. My question is, what are you supposed to be doing during this time? If you're working through a framework (say a P&L framework) it only takes a second to write down Profit = Revenue - Costs = (Quantity x Price) - (FixedCosts + Quantity x MarginalCosts). Even then, wouldn't it be more client friendly to draw out your little tree explaining your thought process as you go? I really don't see what you can be doing during this minute of silence, but I keep hearing that you won't do a good job on the question unless you do that first. This kind of makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I've done case interviews for McKinsey, BCG and Bain. I moved into M&A investment banking and now we do a M&A specific case interview - I've given that interview maybe 100+ times over the last 5 years.

The organising your thoughts part is about identifying the right framework for thinking through the problem. ie you identify the type of problem and the way in which you need to think to solve it.

At this point it might be a good time to write down the problem: The Richard Feynman approach to problem solving is 1. Write down problem; 2. Think very hard; 3. Write down answer. Richard is gently caress-off smart and likes to solve problems professors have got stuck on for decades over a lunch.

However writing down the problem helps you map the data you have been given to the framework used to solve the problem, work out what is extraneous, what might be missing in order for the pieces you have to be useful, and what is the most critical pieces of information. You need to be matching the data to the framework.

You can do a good job without thinking it through first so long as you get the right framework; as Xandu says you don't need to stop and pause.
You can also think out loud as you devise the framework too.