Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

What're folks thoughts on timings for following up after an interview? I applied for a job I'd be very interested in - cool mission, ability to develop new competencies, and a (post-pandemic) move to a city with lower CoL and greater access to the outdoors, which I value. Had the phone screener with HR, absolutely crushed it to the level where she told me then and there she was setting up the callback with the hiring manager.

Had the interview with the hiring manager two Thursdays ago. Think it went well but am less sure, largely because he was more reserved generally and, you know, didn't tell me then and there he was bringing me back. The day after got his email to HR and sent him a thank you and a follow-up question better suited to go to him directly than to the panel interview that would be the next round. Got a long and detailed reply the next day, so a week ago last Saturday, for which I thanked him, so that's at least a data point that I wasn't totally brushed off at that point.

Since then, radio silence from them. And I'm starting to be concerned as I move towards second interviews for other jobs, two in particular that I'd take, but would rank below this one. Thoughts on how best to handle this? Reach out soon? Wait until I know I am expecting an offer from elsewhere so I can lean on them a bit? Other ways to handle this? Or am I doing mental gymnastics here to avoid thinking their disinterest is a soft pass?

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

So I applied for, some time ago, a "young professionals" program that's an entry track into jobs at a large organization. As part of the process I had a formal interview, everyone on both sides in business dress (I'm a lawyer if it matters). I was accepted into the roster of candidates to be placed in positions with the org as they open up.

Well some positions are open, and I now have an "informal," their words, teams call with a team I'd potentially get an invite to join tomorrow afternoon. And have NO idea what to wear/how to dress. Thoughts, hive mind?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lockback posted:

Someone who actually takes time to learn about my boring-rear end company is my #1 "This doesn't actually make you more qualified for the job but makes me way more likely to hire you" secret-code trick.

It's not a qualification for the job as much as for success at any activity.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

There are going to be people with better and more industry-specific insights, but the thing that strikes me right off the bat is that you quantified your contributions at your prior role - $X revenue, Y% increase - but not at your current one. If the information is not proprietary, they should both be presented the same, and I'd go with having hard figures for both.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Red posted:

Ghosting is becoming pretty common. If you've developed a rapport with a recruiter or something, you may get the gentle letdown call, but you'll probably get an automatically-generated email in most cases.

This. I've been called with a "no" once and exactly once.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

It slots pretty easily into any negotiation about leave/vacation, etc. "Hey, so you're aware, I already have [X] set for [dates]. Since I won't yet have much leave accrued, how will we accommodate that?"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

There comes a point where the tire fire gets abject enough that any sugar coating just melts.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

"A new management team changed both our customer service standards and our KPIs, and these changes directly conflicted providing clients the best outcomes. It was evident my feedback on improving the system was unwelcome, and I was let go before I could hand in my notice."

If you can have a wry little smile or such during the second line so much the better, everyone's worked under at least one drat fool that won't see sense at some point, and you can make this seem like that.

But echoing what's been posted already, and based on how many long posts you've made about this trying to justify everything, you have a little bit of work to do on detachment. Which you can totally do without letting on in the next interviews.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 1, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean if your C-series funder and not you are paying for it, go for it man

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

w4ddl3d33 posted:

all my work experience, bar one internship and a government role i signed an nda for, is in retail and i don't want to work in retail anymore. will i have to bite the bullet and do unpaid volunteering to get a smidgen of experience?

1) how broad/narrow is the nda? Can you say “delivered projects with X budget in Y field (IT, research, etc) or can you not even say “I worked for the federal widget inspection bureau”? Because there’s a lot you can still say even if you can’t talk substance.

2) You’ve worked retail. You’re not gonna walk into anything super high level, but back end customer satisfaction teams, basic IT, etc are all natural next steps depending on the field and interest.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Let’s work on the first full paragraph, because it’s doing all the heavy lifting of convincing them. You currently have:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this role. I have a solid engineering background, and while I have not worked directly with HVAC systems, I do have a good knowledge of what those systems entail. Additionally, I have a strong curiosity, passion, and aptitude for all things technical and engineering. I’m very self-motivated, and in my current position, started as a QA associate and have managed to grow in that role to a systems technician. I have also performed business associate duties where I took customer requirements and translated those to measurable and quantifiable goals for software development teams.

With my |notes|, how about we tweak that to:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this role. |Duh|

I have a solid engineering background and bring to bear a strong knowledge of HVAC system [because of what?], even though my career has been focused on other areas of engineering to date. |Re-wrote this to lead with what you have, not with what’s missing. Also, this isn’t currently that convincing, as there’s no reason why I’d believe you know HVAC - was it from classes, or working on your own place, or your uncle Troy Barnes? Tell me why you say you have knowledge even if you haven’t worked on it|

|Deleted the “Additionally” sentence as it separates two concepts that you very much want to link more closely than you have|

What I don’t already know about HVAC systems I’m confident I could learn quickly, because I’m a self-motivated, rapid learner. For example, in my current position, I started as a QA associate and was promoted to systems technician because I developed skills in [widget touching] in [timeframe]. |I think that one example is enough, but split it into two sentences to not have so many commas|

Lead with what you bring, not with what you lack, show rather than tell, and tighten it up a bit, and I think it’s doing the same work but is more convincing, and more succinct about your actual point of “look, I’m smart, and you already have HVAC knowledge in-house, bring me in and teach me and you’ll make more money than with the dumb, experienced guy.”

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

wash bucket posted:

ChatGPT is surprisingly good at resumes and cover letters. Probably because of how inherently artificial, arbitrary, and soulless the job hunting process is.

... for real though it is a pretty good at that stuff.

Because it’s just smarter predictive text - doubleplusgood T9 - so it gives the most common language used, and when dealing with automated screens and HR drones, most common is most effective.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what's interview speak for "some morons set the roof on fire and management told everybody (including people at the company next door) to not call the fire department?"

“I’m excited about a position where my team’s goals are supported by management and so we can grow together.”

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Discendo Vox posted:

Every other indicator of their internal practices was similarly dire.

True, but on the other hand: no power point decks. Ever.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Well yes but what can you do if it’s a fender shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

DTaeKim posted:

I got a rejection letter from a job I applied to two months ago and Gmail is like hey put an emote to "reply quickly and add personality."

Which one?