Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What do you do if a recruiter you were working with got laid off yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Lockback posted:

lol, "Hey, sorry to turn this around but any chance you have a job for me?"

If you were down the road with a particular company, contact the company. They should be able to take things up from there and will be more motivated to keep up momentum. If you haven't, you can try to reach out to the recruiting firm but I am guessing it'll be poo poo show. They may reach out to you, they may ghost you. I'd maybe reach out and then assume they cut you loose until you hear otherwise.

This was a corporate recruiter not a third party, so it's more likely they'll just hand me over to some other poor sap who is now overwhelmed. I haven't had the formal interview yet, just the first meeting with a recruiter to make sure I'm not a weirdo and a meeting with the hiring manager, I guess to make extra sure that I'm not a weirdo. I'll give it a few days and see what happens!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The consensus is

quote:

ugh no just make it normal

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Dik Hz posted:

To a good candidate, an interview is a two-way thing. Changing it to a one-way evaluation will cost them a portion of their best candidates.

I had one of these a couple of months ago, and you're exactly right.

The video interview was 10 questions, I didn't get the questions ahead of time, and I had a minute to answer each question. Luckily I was able to do multiple takes but that made things worse because it took me like 3 hours to get through all the questions. If it was a one on one interview it would have been infinitely easier.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I kind of assume that this is so they can automatically process the results in some way to screen candidates but I don't know anything.

Oh, I should note that this was for an SVP level technical position.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

:lol:

Yeah it was definitely a "wtf is happening here" moment. I thought about withdrawing but decided I might as well try it and see what happened. I... did not get the job.

edit: It was worse than the 8 hours of Amazon interviews I had for a job I didn't even want

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2023

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm sure there's others, but I used EarnBetter to convert my resume into AI generated content with a much improved format.

I used this and it didn't really change my format but now it looks like my resume went through a thesaurus (which is probably what it needed). Thanks for the tip.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
In 2022 I interviewed for a role with a competitor. They ultimately went with a different candidate and now that role is open again. The difference is that now they're posting a salary range and it's roughly 40k less than I make now. This is possibly why they went with the other candidate... I was very clear about my experience and my rate.

All that being said, it's exactly what I've been looking for. Is it worth trying again?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Mustang posted:

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years. Said they're going to contact me again next week about other roles.

This has been the worst job search of my life. Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

My favorite thing about interviewing with Amazon was that they sent me a survey after they were "not inclined" to hire me. No, I'm not filling out your survey, gently caress off.

edit: in my case i withdrew after the initial phone screen because it was a heavy travel gig. the recruiter convinced me to go through the 8 hour remote interview anyway and it sucked. my particular line of work doesn't necessarily line up with the amazon "leadership principles" but i did my best to shoehorn them in. i bombed the star interview method too, every job interview i've had has been way less formal and it was one of the worst interviews i've had...and I didn't even want it!

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2024

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remembered there was an applicant portal for this place, logged in, and say the dreaded "not retained."

:suicide:

brutal, i had this happen to me too. AND this was a place where i had an in... the hiring committee ended up going with an internal candidate.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Pain of Mind posted:

When applying to a job on linkedin, sometimes it has drop downs for a handful of specific skills related to the job.

Can you apply on the company website?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Here's my latest FAANG experience so far:
  • applied for job in December with trusty resume, never heard anything back
  • job posting still up in March, re-applied but added a period to my email address and submitted new version of my resume
  • got hr callback a couple of days later, set up hr screen for later in the week (Thursday)
  • hr screen went fine, set up call with hiring manager for following Monday
  • Monday call with hiring manager cancelled, asked for availability over next two weeks
  • hiring manager interview scheduled 3 weeks later
  • two hours before hiring manager interview, call is cancelled and rescheduled for following week at same time
So it's been almost a month and a half so far, still waiting to talk to that hiring manager.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

pmchem posted:

lmao that a FAANG hiring process can be hacked by not sanitizing inputs for that

it's entirely possible they're using the application i put in back in december, i haven't exactly asked them which resume version they're using.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
If the company won’t let you change your start date, I’m not sure that’s a company you want to work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
You can’t miss your dad’s 800th birthday.