Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
2 somewhat related questions from the question about extensions on the last page...

I have 4 very promising prospects. They seem to be very similar positions with what I exepct will be nearly identical compensation packages. I have one at this moment in mind that I would chose if they were all equal, but all are viable.

Assuming one of them decides I'm the one for them and offers me a job and I can kick it out 72 hours to a week, how do I handle the other side of that?

1) When and how do I tell the others what's up? How is the best way to communicate this? If I find out I am to receive a written offer, is that when I tell them I have received an offer? Do I wait until I have it in writing? Do I tell them the deadline/offer details? (I.e. Someone else just offered me X, I asked for 3 days so I could meet with you?)

2) Assuming I get two fairly identical offers how kosher is it to ask the preferred one to up their offer based on another? What is a good way to say this that isn't offensive? Is it offensive to give the other company a chance to match? Should I ask them both for 'best offer' simultaneously to not seem like a dick? From a scheduling interviews perspective, ideally I'd like my second choice to offer first... right?

This makes me feel really dirty, but after working for the government for years I have 1) no practice at this, and 2) a fairly in demand set of skills, 3) have been dramatically underpaid. I know that this will set my rate for several years to come and I want to know the best way to maximize the opportunity without ticking off anybody (especially the one I eventually chose.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU