Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I found a job ad that seems interesting, but is sort of vague and I'd like more information before applying. The ad says to e-mail applications to the HR department, and to call person A or person B during two specific one-hour slots next week for more information. Those time slots are kind of inconvenient for me. Should I just e-mail A or B anyway (the company website says all e-mail addresses are firstname.lastname@company), or would that work against me since I'm not following instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Well, I looked up the e-mail address for one of the people mentioned in the ad, and e-mailed her. Got a very friendly response within 30 minutes. :unsmith:

It's a Media Researcher position at a large PR/media agency. Not something I have previous experience in, but it seems interesting. Time to write cover letter and fine-tune my resume!

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I had an interview about a week ago - the first proper interview after about 10 months of being unemployed (I've applied for a lot of things, but there seems to be 300 applicants for everything, also I'm kind of changing careers). This thread was really useful for preparing.

It seemed like the interview went really well - as soon as I sat down, the first interviewer (potential future boss) said that he was "delighted" to see that I'd worked at my previous employer, because he's a long time customer and loves their products (it's kind of rare to find someone who actually understands what my old job was about). We chatted about our mutual nerdy hobby while waiting for the HR person to arrive. And the HR person was really interested in my other hobbies. I just hope they were equally impressed with my qualifications and experience, because this job would be perfect for me.

They said they'd let me know this week or early next week. I hate waiting for a phone call :/

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Wheeeeee! I didn't get the job I originally interviewed for, but they asked me back to interview for a different (but similar) position today. I went in and was somehow much more nervous than at the first interview, the questions seemed tougher, etc...but I think I did well on the competency test and they called me back and offered me the job within a few hours! And it's not a temporary contract like the other position would have been. So happy! I've been unemployed since January, so I'm really excited about this opportunity.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I applied for a job just before Christmas a couple of years ago. I got an e-mail back on the 22nd of December, they were asking me to record a short video answering some questions and submit it by the 26th. This happened a day before I was due to leave town for the holidays, to visit family (and in this country almost everything shuts down from the 24th to the 26th). It had to be done using a webcam on a particular website, so I couldn't just record it on my phone and send that in. So then I had to find out if any of the relatives I was visiting had a webcam and a reasonable internet connection, and spend time during Christmas holidays stressing about this video. I really wanted the job so I did the video, and did it well enough to get asked to do a Skype interview, but I wasn't happy about it. Didn't end up getting the job, which is probably for the best. In retrospect, I don't think I would have fit in well at that company.