Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I've been looking for a full time job for about a year and I very rarely get contacted about anything I apply for. If someone could look at my resume and give me some advice that would be great.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10949028/goonresume.docx

Some background info:

I graduated from college last May. After high school I was going to work part time and go to college but that part time job bagging groceries quickly turned into an amazing full time job. I worked too much for school and was making $20/hour plus amazing benefits (union job). In 2005 the company started closing the stores in the area as the leases on the properties came up.

So when I was laid off I went to college to get my degree in accounting like I originally planned. I applied to accounting firms after graduating and only got one reply. Went in for an interview and thought it went well, but I was super nervous and had to interview with each person at the firm. I had a really awkward interview with one of the partners and didn't get the job. Since then I've been applying for any entry level accounting position I see in my area on craiglist, indeed, linkedin, monster, or from word of mouth.

I get very few call backs. I've had multiple people tell me they want someone that has experience in X accounting software (quickbooks, great plains, dynamics, yardi, peachtree), they're too busy to train, want someone that can just dive in, etc. I've even applied for jobs that said in all caps "NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED" or "ENTRY LEVEL ACCOUNTING". First question I get asked is if I do accounting at my current job and I try to BS and say "no, but I have taken a quickbooks course and done some light bookkeeping...". The interview just goes downhill from there.

Any advice or critiques would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU