Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Bisty Q. posted:

As a hiring manager, grad school GPA is worthless to me, but depending on your specific field education can be more or less important. I would still play the internship up far far more, though. Nobody cares about honor societies and bluntly basically everyone has a 3.9+ grad school GPA so it doesn't communicate any information to me.

Yeah. My company isn't a biotech company (just software), but whenever I see a resume with a GPA on it, that just says to me, "I have no real-world experience." That can be fine for an entry-level position, but it's also not really that useful.

What would be more worthwhile would be pointing out courses that you've taken which covered material applicable to the job you're applying for. That at least helps show that you might have the background to get up to speed. Expect to get questions about the classes you do that with, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

johnny sack posted:

2. You go to Macy's or MW or whatever and tell the salesman what you're looking for. They can tell you better than anyone here. Also, google "obama suit" and look for something like that. It's a great place to start.

Yeah. Basically, you'll want to get an affordable suit that's close to fitting right and then get it altered to an exact fit. It's usually maybe an extra :10bux: or so, but having a properly-fitting suit will leave a much better impression if the place you're interviewing at cares about that sort of thing. Dunno about Macy's, but Men's Warehouse usually has an in house tailor to do alterations, so you can buy something there and pick it up in a day or two after it's ready.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Do you actually need to give a reason? If not, just tell your boss you need to have that day off. Or, if you really trust your boss, you can mention that you're interviewing for another position, but this can come back to gently caress you if your boss is an rear end in a top hat.

I've always waited until they're requested, as have most people I know. It probably doesn't matter too much who they are so long as they can talk about your work, so peers and bosses are both good. Really, the point of checking references is to make sure the person being hired isn't absolutely reviled by former coworkers. Frankly, if you've made it to the point where your references are actually being checked, you're probably in.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Friend's been looking for work for four months, gets offered a six month contract position.

She's considering turning it down because "too much contract work would look bad on my résumé." :psyduck:

I hope you told her that too much not working would look worse (not that I really understand why; if I see huge employment gaps or lots of contract work, I'll ask about it, but I know times are tough right now).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Grump posted:

Redoing my resume, but I just declared a minor last semester. What's a good way to write a minor in your education section?

I have:

Bachelor of Science in Media and Information Technology
Minor in Studio Art
University of whatever
GPA: ###

I don't know where to put my minor.

e: I also have this part in my resume. Should I explain that I know how to use these programs, or is just putting them in their own section enough?

How you have it is fine, if the minor's relevant to the position. If not, nobody's going to care that you did a minor. Pretty much nobody's going to care about your GPA, either, so I'd leave it off unless it's specifically requested or it's extremely high, your major is related to the job, and you have no relevant work experience for it.

glowing-fish posted:

I have a question that I have kind of an answer to (well, several answers), but your input would be greatly appreciated.

I am an adult educator, and right now I am looking for a job as an ABE/GED teacher. I have had some experience with this, as well as related experience. I also have a Master's Degree, and this is kind of a niche field.

My problem with my resume is I want to find ways to figure out ways to highlight soft skills (because being a teacher is a series of soft skills) that doesn't sound like an OKCupid profile.

If I had a more "technical" job, this would be easy. Either someone knows Perl or material science or has a CDL, or they don't. And sure, people can lie about those things, but they can't throw in vague generalizations. For example, I might want to point out that I am "patient with students", "employ a variety of teaching strategies" and "have dealt with a multicultural student body" or even something more vague like "personable and hands-on with students"...but how do I phrase these things in a way that won't make someone just think I am spouting out feel-good points?

Unless the resumes for teaching are different than most jobs, show, don't tell. List accomplishments that demonstrate these traits. So, instead of saying that you're patient with students, maybe say that you've done X, Y, and Z with students that needed extra help. Things like that. Highlight your soft skills in terms of situations where you used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Bisty Q. posted:

Yeah, this. A lot of people get the horrible horrible horrible advice to blanket the world with their resumes in hope that some sucker company will accidentally call you. This is an awful idea, because it is completely transparent and a huge waste of your time. Tailor each application package to the job and you have a much much much higher chance of it being remotely successful.

When I get a scattershot resume, I don't even read it. Literally. Resumes where the person tried get more than my initial scan, but generally with most resumes that come in, it's "scan -> see 'objective' or 'summary' that applies to a completely different job -> recycle bin".

You should be picky about your jobs too; this is a Major Life Decision and you don't want to rush into something.

Same. My HR folks are really good about weeding out people who spam the same resume at everything, but I do keep tabs on what gets submitted (even if they reject it before it gets to me), and holy hell are some of those awful. I've had people submit resumes with objectives describing things not even in the same industry.

So, don't be that guy. Please. I know how much it sucks looking for a job (it took me two years of looking to get out of my last place), but just spamming the same resume everywhere is a waste of everybody's time. Also, just by tailoring your resume to the position, that gives you a leg up.