Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
When applying to a job on linkedin, sometimes it has drop downs for a handful of specific skills related to the job. Am I correct in assuming that if you do not have yes to all of these questions your resume will never get read? There is a job where I have almost 20 years experience with 99% of what the job description asks for, but there is one bullet point listed that I have not done that also happens to be one of the dropdown questions of "have you run this specific thing". It seems kind of dumb to have the experience I do with the more complicated parts of the job description that take months to become proficient in, but then go straight into the trash for missing one thing that can be learned in an afternoon, if that is how those screening questions work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

TheWevel posted:

Can you apply on the company website?

I checked, it wasn't there. I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets posted later. My wife just said to lie and research it before you get there, but I would rather not.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Kind of a two parter: When is the best time to mention a job's title is too low for you to accept the position? I have always done it during the first phone interview, because if I will not take the job if it is not moved, why waste their time and mine going forward in the process if they will not move it. I can also see the logic of if you get the whole way through and they really like you, they might have more incentive to bump it up because you are the candidate that they want to hire, compared with just some random person on the phone when they are talking to 5 more people that day. Also, is it a faux pas to inquire about a role that is not the one they are interviewing you for since it makes you look less interested? The company that I am talking to about the role that is too low has one at a more appropriate level, but I did not hear back from that application.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it's also important to evaluate the likelihood of your potential future employer actually responding to your demands. Is this an organization and industry that is likely to be strict with titling and tie it to comp? If so, it's unlikely they will be willing to make an adjustment. Is the title a major change? Eg titling from Manager to Senior Manager or Junior Idiot to Senior Idiot is probably not such a big deal. If you want them to re-title a Manager role as a Director that's likely a bigger ask.

Based on the companies job descriptions they look less strict than most, but I am not sure how that is in practice. I would say the title adjustment is in-between those options, more than a junior to a senior, but less than a full tier of responsibility change. I have had a title ~ 2 levels higher than the one that was offered for a few years and the job is asking for a minimum of 5 years of directly related experience and I am almost at 20 years, so I am hoping they will not be surprised if I ask not to be at the title I was at 10 years ago, but you never know (or you never know if the recruiter actually read your resume).