Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
When it comes to listing skills and your proficiency in them, how do you suggest discussing that? I'm going to be applying for web design/development jobs and I'm curious as to how to in depth I should be going. Does the standard "beginner, intermediate, advanced" listing work here, or should I lump my experiences into a single category? I have an old resume from when I was in Career Development (last year and they still push the Objectives on the resume thing) where I listed my Web Design related experience and simply listed what languages and programs I was familiar with without citing my actual skill level in them. Is it also better to list the individual programs, such as Adobe, or to, again, stick them in a lump to conserve space on a resume?

Edit: Also you talk about not adding additional fluff to a resume, but one thing I know that has been encouraged in the designer world is trying to add a bit of design fluff to your resume to help you stand out. Not necessarily anything bold and distracting, but certainly stepping out of the norm of what are considered standard resumes. They also encourage the use of infographs. Would any people out there who have experience be willing to chime in about that?

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
My apologies if this has been asked, maybe even by me. I don't doubt it's a common question but I'd appreciate an answer nonetheless. I'm a recent graduate of web design, and the only experience I have in my job history related to that is my internship. Everything before was either fast food, movie theaters, and a brief stint in the Army. Should I be including these jobs because it shows I have done something with myself? Should I not and instead put in projects I've worked on and relevant information to them?