Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
Goky is like Goku only more kawaii ^____^
I got a job offer! I wish I would have read the part about "not coming back with a counter immediately". I responded a few hours later.

Anyways, after I gave them a counter-offer, they didn't respond for about 24 h. Once they did, it was just "Haven't made a decision yet, still thinking." Is this some sort of power move to freak me out? It's totally working. My request wasn't ridiculous (+10% from initial) but it did come after they bumped up the salary during our initial phone conversation (+4% from initial; I never verbally accepted the bump). I also tried to back it up with things and I reiterated that I really wanted to work there instead of just saying that I deserved more because I'm magical. Am I being unreasonable by asking for a slight bump after the initial slighter bump they already gave me? It seems like I'm nowhere near a level of craziness that would cause someone to rescind an offer, but this is my first choice (I have some other offers) so I'd rather not blow it.

Some other things:
1) the company is reputable and has won local business awards and stuff
2) it's a small start-up. there's no HR department, just talking directly to the president
3) I'm fresh out school, so what I made before is pretty irrelevant.

Thanks for any forthcoming input ahead of time.

Edit: They sent a new offer and accommodated my requests. Yay!

Goky fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
Goky is like Goku only more kawaii ^____^

SaxMaverick posted:

I have the dreaded all-day interview tomorrow morning two weeks after the phone screen kicked rear end.

Meet someone for breakfast, then meetings, meetings, meetings, lunch... then a two hour session of them handing a sample data set in which I need to analyze generate a report. Then two more meetings and dinner.

They sprung for a nice hotel for both nights, which is an encouraging sign.

What's not encouraging, or at least confusing, is that I'm scheduled to conduct two phone interviews Wednesday afternoon after I get home. Each is an hour long.

What I Know:
Done my research of the company
Asked for but didn't receive a copy of the day's agenda
Somehow the two interviews wednesday afternoon are important or not important at all.
Have my book to take notes/collect business cards.

tldr version: All-day interview: incoming. Any ideas?

Sounds like good news--they normally don't go through this kind of trouble unless you're being seriously considered. I had one of these, but it wasn't quite as long. The meetings tend to be short, so each person will probably focus on a specific area. If they don't, you'll end up repeating yourself a lot (which is OK, better than leaving out essential info). I've heard that marathon interviews are a way of determining if you're a good 'culture fit' (i.e., whether they could actually see themselves working with you) so try to be sociable in a way that doesn't scream "I'm trying to show you how sociable I am". Also, make sure you have a cup of water handy--four straight hours of talking is killer on the salivary glands.

Make sure you get contact information from each person so that you can send them all follow-up 'Thank You' emails that night or the next morning. It's very easy to forget who is who when you talk to so many people.

Good luck!

Goky fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 18, 2013