Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm looking for work with graphics and the local newspaper is looking for a graphic designer to work with Adobe Suite. (aka someone to do typesetting in ads) They specifically ask for people with Mac experience. I've used Photoshop forever and I've had 5 months of working with Indesign. I'm as computer literate as most goons and pick stuff up fast. At this point I'm telling the people at work "Did you know you can do this with (PS/InD)"

My first take on the Mac requirement is to question the intelligence of the person placing the ad. They want someone to run Adobe Suite and it SHOULD be the same cross platforms. Is there some secret to using a Mac that a long term PC user wouldn't know? How do I answer when they ask "How long have you used Macs?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

To get critique on a resume would I need to use dropbox or post a stripped out version here? I've been dealing with long term unemployment (fired last August, worked from Feb to beginning of July as fill-in) Too many times I'm wonder if there's some flaw in the resume that I don't see or if it's just a matter of numbers (openings versus applicants)

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I'm looking for work in the graphics field and need someplace I can use for a gallery. The stuff is on DA at the moment, and while the layout is nice the place itself has an association with bad drawings of catgirls. Is there any place like DeviantArt that isn't DeviantArt?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Problem! posted:

Coroflot is what I used. It's way more professional looking and has an associated design job board. I got my first job through them.

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Here's my (incomplete) profile. http://www.coroflot.com/darthbrooks/profile I'll take whatever suggestions you have.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I know that the OP has "don't call back" as a cardinal rule but man, it is frustrating. Companies in this area are bad about telling you anything. You can have a positive interview, lots of interest and they may say "We'll call you when we've made a decision" but what ALWAYS follows is silence. Seriously, Is it that hard to call and tell me I didn't get the job?

I think the worse one was when a truck company asked me to make some sample graphics for their flyers. The didn't even acknowledge that they received them. No thank you, just nothing.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 9, 2017