Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I am so frustrated with LinkedIn and recruiters and job hunting and all of it.

3 times now people have contacted me on LinkedIn, telling me about wonderful opportunities. Twice these people have actually worked for the company they are spruiking for, and once they were a recruiter with a 'client'. All 3 freaking times I have been ghosted. I reply back on LinkedIn... I wait a few business days and then email them via the email address they supplied me.... nothing. What is the point of this? Even if they replied and said "actually we have gone with another candidate" (or just made up an excuse or ) I would completely understand, but again I reiterate they contacted me. Why ghost me? Am I not worth even a one line reply?

What is the point of them doing this? What is there to gain from their perspective? Do they have a KPI which is "contact [x number] of candidates and it is a box ticking exercise?

In other job hunting news I just got a rejection from a role I interviewed for and really wanted. Apparently I am next in line if it falls through but of course it won't fall through cos why would it.

I just need a job, goons. Why is this so hard :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

wash bucket posted:

I don't have any advice; just commiseration. Job hunting feels really, really unnerving because you're flying blind. You put in tons of effort searching, applying, writing cover letters/resumes, online profiles, phone calls, multiple rounds of interviews, and almost every time it just dead-ends and there you are with no idea what you should have done different. Then you get up the next day and just keep doing it because what the hell else can you do?

Thank you friend, I appreciate that. I feel so flat after today's rejection and finding out I am second in line is no consolation - it isn't like it brings me any closer to the next role. I can't say in the next application by the way I came second for the role at [x company] - because who gives a flying gently caress? As you say, I just gotta get my poo poo together and start throwing together more applications - even though I just wanna curl up in a ball and cry

Another bugbear of mine is that so many recruitment companies keep jobs up after they have been filled (maybe as bait?) - probably a half dozen times now I have applied for a role only to be told that it was no longer available. My guys, just do the minimum and take it down when it has been filled!

I have no job, so finding a job is of the essence, but hot drat if it isn't demoralising lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Well, I know some companies do that so when their over-worked employees complain the bosses can point to that job listing and say, "We have several promising candidates identified!" and then keep right on running their departments understaffed efficiently for the rest of the quarter.

This is recruitment agencies (so not directly with the company, on behalf of the company) so I suspect they are maybe farming for CVs? Or maybe just can't be hosed taking them down, who knows. I am now in the habit of emailing or calling before applying via recruitment agencies just so I don't waste time applying for a role which was filled a week ago

Arquinsiel posted:

It did though. You know that you did well in that last interview. You probably also have an idea of what question stumped you in the interview or what area of skills they were looking for that you didn't have. Now you can refine your interview technique and start brushing up on the skill gaps you identified. Plus you got that first awkward interview out of the way, so you're back in the swing of things. All you gotta do now is keep firing out applications and you'll get there.

That is very glass half full :unsmith:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Recruiters are trash. I'm sure individually as human beings they're fine, but they operate in a garbage system that forces them to become garbage. I've been ghosted by recruiters after we've had half hour phone calls, or phone calls + half hour video calls. I had one recruiter message me on LinkedIn that they were interested in my experience at "_" and wanted to talk more. As in, the message had a literal underscore where they forgot to copy and paste my employer from my profile. I had a recruiter reach out to me about a job I'd applied for 3 hours earlier and been rejected from 2 hours earlier, thinking I might be a good fit based on my profile. Just today I had an internal recruiter call me at 6:45 PM (what are time zones???) about a position I'd applied for, then sent me an email asking a bunch of questions that were answered in the job application (like my address, and if I'm eligible to work in the US).

I've had so many similar experiences as this :( Just on Monday a recruiter rang and asked me questions that I had literally addressed in my email to her. I ended up bringing up the email and reading out it's content as it contained all the information requested.

I get it, they're people doing their best but seriously, just an email response would be great. Talk to me, let me know it's a no go - I promise I won't take it out on you!!

Arquinsiel posted:

We're here to get you hired. Post a redacted version of your resume and someone in this thread will be in your field and be able to tell you what you could improve. Let us help out.

Oh really? As in, post a Google doc version with my personal and identifying info removed? I think this sounds great if I can get some help with it!! : unsmith:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Also keep in mind, losing out after an interview doesn't mean you didn't meet muster, there is only 1 position and maybe someone over qualified, or related to someone, or has a complete unicorn profile came along. An interview isn't a referendum on you, it's a competition in which you don't know the rules nor the competition.

In Australia (where I am) there are definitely policies for publicly funded institutions like government departments and universities being compelled to advertise roles, even if those roles already have someone acting in the position - which is frankly ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time and energy. And of course as you say, there can be all kinds of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes.

I hate LinkedIn telling me how many applicants, even though I know a fair amount of them are probably garbage spam accounts it is still deeply demotivating :sigh:

Can I ask the wise thread, for those of you searching, how many jobs do you apply for a week and how do you maintain motivation?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm probably applying to between 5 and 10 jobs a week, but I'm in an industry which asks you to address between 5 to 10 selection criteria per application so I spend a lot of time having to address those, tweak my cv, write cover letters etc. I am open to most roles (contract, permanent, part-time) simply because I get burnt out so I'm happy to work on a project and then scram.

it's never occurred to me to use chatgpt to see if my cv is aligned with the job description, do you just copy/paste both into the text field? I use google bard occasionally to help me tweak a sentence but I don't find it that useful in all honesty, the sentences come across as robotic in a way.

I don't mind so much the applying, it's more spending a half day or more on an application that barely gets looked before getting auto-rejected that really gets me down.

LinkedIn applications generate notifications. Once i got an email notification stating "the employer has downloaded your application" followed up by another email notification not even 5 minutes later "thanks for your application, but due to the quality of candidates we won't be proceeding with your application (etc)". That was disheartening to say the least!! Everytime that happens I feel just a bit flatter and smaller.

I feel embarrassed too, this is the first time in my career that I've been out of work this long. I've been looking in earnest since September and the bites have been few and far between :smith:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Habibi posted:

Pretty much, yes. The prompt will go something like:

Customize as necessary. I find that Bard sucks. I use it primarily when researching companies I'm interviewing at, because it's much faster at scouring the internet than ChatGPT. But that's about the extent. Bard has trouble even holding a mock interview, defaulting to performing a Q&A with itself if you don't get very specific in your instructions.

ChatGPT is not a terrible writer (Bard is), and will occasionally come up with surprising sentence construction and even humor. However, its real value IMO is leveraging its native ability to process massive amounts of text to either generate ideas or, well, process massive amounts of text!

I remember my excitement at first seeing those notifications. Now I understand that they are trash.

Heh. I've been looking in earnest since June, and with lesser intensity since April. Only started seeing real traction over these last 6 weeks. A good chunk of that was on me - my resume was poo poo, my approach was too diluted, I didn't have a great idea of what I was looking for even when I thought I did, and I spun my wheels doings things (writing cover letters) and chasing things that significantly reduced the efficacy of my efforts.

I'll def have a look at chatgpt, although I'm a touch concerned at feeding it my entire (adult) life story wholesale. Maybe I should anonymise my cv first

Sound_man posted:

Update:
After 8 months of solid job hunting I had to turn down my first real written offer. The money was fair for the position but the benefits were terrible. Like 401K match didn't fully vest until year 5 and company match was 2%. I would have had to relocate and while it was close to where my wife and I would like to move to the area was much more rural than either of us would prefer and still almost a two hour drive from where we would want to be.

No advice on the degree stuff, but congrats on getting on offer. There are a few offers I wish in hindsight I'd turned down so it's great you're doing what's best for you!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Habibi posted:

e: while editing this I received an invitation for a first round for a role / org that caught my eye two weeks ago and which I had - as already advised by another poster earlier on this page - immediately forgotten about as soon as I sent my application. So, yay.

Congrats!!! Fingers and toes it works out, goon

wash bucket posted:

I was job hunting from February to September this year and didn’t get any real traction till August. It do be like that.

I'm the idiot who didn't see the job market going in the direction it did, pure arrogance on my part

I bailed on a toxic job situation by resigning and here we are!

I must say, the existence of this thread is making me feel a bit better. I'd fallen into the habit of believing the LinkedIn hype where it seems everyone is either being promoted, or hiring single mothers who work remotely in order to make a LinkedIn update about it. Posting and empathizing with real people who get it is cool :unsmith:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

bort posted:

I recommend staying away from the LI feed. Click Jobs as soon as the page loads. The people who post there have something wrong with them. I compare LinkedIn to the Bill Mumy little kid in the Twilight Zone. We normals all pretend we like LinkedIn and that the content on the site is just great because we don't want to get sent to the cornfield.

lol

Okay I'll only look at the jobs on LinkedIn and avoid the rest of it. I think the more recent discourse about how some recruiters don't like people with the 'open to work' banner as it makes them 'look desperate' broke something in my brain. It's like a weird dating thing where you can't win - appear interested, not desperate. Be open but not too open.

The only people who message me on LinkedIn have ended up ghosting me anyway, and I doubt the banner has anything to do with it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

That's what shocked me the most in this round of job searching. I've held middle management and senior roles, yet despite my experience I'm now not even getting hits for roles I am the most experienced in

I've started to track my applications in a spreadsheet, just because the jobs were starting to blur into each other. I note down their status (applied, application in process, rejected), the date they close, contract length etc. It reminds me that I'm working hard on these applications and tickles the part of my brain that likes outcomes.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm not American so maybe I don't know poo poo from clay, but goon that sounds so dicey to me :stare:

Especially the being extra pushy part, why on earth would he be pursuing you so vigorously unless he was trying to extract something from you? Surely a real recruiter has plenty of other people they can follow up with, and within business hours as well

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah I definitely link to the original job ads, it's handy to have a frame of reference when someone calls you saying "I'm Sally from x corp" and you have that small moment of panic of "what the gently caress is x corp" lol

It's a good idea to include other information too, like selection criteria, I end up trawling through my older applications looking for the one I want. I think I'll edit today to include - thanks for the suggestion!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

melon cat posted:

literally the business model of "find a contractor" websites like Homestars, except they call is "lead generation".

And to hear that it is spilling into other industries makes me want to barf.

The amount of trash and overall decline in the recruitment industry was noticeable even before COVID. There is a lot more overlap between recruiters, realtors, and MLM huns.

I think I've fallen into this trap a few times by applying for jobs that just got filled. Mind you I'm still receiving email notifications from LinkedIn asking me to apply - which shits me every time I get it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I hate that I am the thread killer, but anyway.

As its Friday I thought I would share a job application round up to see how I compare to other people and to celebrate my wins.

This week I applied for 7 jobs
Contacted recruiters about 3 more that had already been filled
I had 2 recruiters approach me about the same job - I said yes to the first one within 15 minutes of receiving the email, but the role was filled within 4 hours of it being advertised - which is insanity but here we are!

I think I wrote some killer cover letters today, so fingers crossed for me goons :pray:

How has your week looked, fellow job lookers and employment seekers?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

bort posted:

Expecting to have six weeks of total ghosting and for positions to be closing as finance people get scared about Q4.

This is what scares me, I have worked in enough corporate places to know we are getting into "let's leave it until next year" season, and that starts earlier every year!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Why email out a job rejection at 4pm on Saturday :whitewater:

It's gotta be automated, as I doubt anyone in HR is working on Saturday. I don't know if that fact makes it better or worse :sigh:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Monday morning so hitting the job application grindstone again.

First job I am applying to wants me to, in the online application portal, "Please list all the subjects and results that you have completed to date. Do not include any subjects which are currently being completed. Do not include any failed subjects."

I graduated more than a decade ago, do they really think I should drag out my transcript and list each individual subject? I mean, surely not right??

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

It's a corporate role asking for people experienced in my industry, but it's an employer that employs a lot of young casual staff as well - my assumption is that the HR portal is set up more for them than for me

Or maybe I'm just going to go to the top of the discard pile because I didn't dig out my (old and irrelevant) grades :shrug:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I have an interview for next week (not for weird uni transcript place, another role), and someone I used to work with contacted me about maybe doing some contractor work under an ABN (Australian Business Number)

They told me they contacted a few people about the same opportunity, and I know nothing except an email (task, approx. hours per week), so honestly I don't love that - but I guess it doesn't hurt to email.

May the odds be ever in your favour

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Started looking at volunteer roles as a stop gap to put on my CV.

Look at this requirement for an unpaid, volunteer position :whitewater:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So I applied for a job, had a talk with a recruiter person, and then got ghosted. However, I saw that the exact same job has been reposted a few days ago. Is it kosher to reapply for the job again?

I hate when this happens so much. I'd rather be told to gently caress off than be ghosted honestly

I know of a few agencies in Australia who are continuing to repost jobs on LinkedIn I've been told were filled months ago. Now either I was lied to about the job's availability (unlikely), or they are using this role to farm for CVs. These are short term roles who wanted an immediate start, chances if remaining unfilled a month later are pretty slim.

Not saying you shouldn't reapply at all, just saying there's lots of reasons a job might be re-advertised, not all of them above board. You applying again is kosher, just don't be surprised if you never hear anything

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Question for the thread: I'm having a well-paid but short term gig (6 months) dangled in front of me. They want someone to start pretty much straight away (within weeks). I'm waiting on more information from the recruiter now. Trouble is it's not the kind of work I want to do long term, would be more of a stop gap. Very administrative and potentially on-site full-time.

I have an interview on Monday for a different job I'd actually want, plus ads seem to be popping up now for roles I would much prefer. Of course the interview on Monday may amount to nought, and these future roles may not want me at all.

I'm worried if I take this role and then jump ship later for one I actually want I may burn bridges with this recruiter, who admittedly is only one of hundreds, but still, I'd feel bad. I'd feel bad for the employer too.

I can definitely ask for time to see how Monday's interview pans out, but what about slightly longer term? Do I not compromise, and hold out for roles that align with what I actually want to do long term? I already have a bunch of apps in just this week, so it's possible that interviews may be offered now without me doing any more searching.

I know every circumstance is unique, and financially people have different pressures, but what say you, goons?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

I give you permission to do whats best for you.

Succinct. I like it.

Lockback posted:

Jumping ship early on on a short term gig is not a big deal. I'd try to not do that for FT roles just because the professional world is smaller than you think. This is low risk bridge to burn though, especially as we're entering a slow hiring time.

Yeah every recruiter I talk to reminds me of that fact. The Christmas ads are starting to make me feel a bit panicky lol not lol at all

PRADA SLUT posted:

The road to career mediocrity is paved with people feeling bad

Yeah I've stayed in poo poo roles for way too long because of feeling bad

It's a bad habit!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Looks like they are still offering their writing wares - thread can be found here.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Usually the things auto post by themselves every xx days.

in my experience it is this

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Friday round up: quiet this week, applied for 4 roles, was approached about another 1 (although I suspect I will be ghosted now), and emailed about another 2.

Job interview on Monday, and you never do know!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

aaaaaaaand right at 4.15pm on Friday a recruiter rings with another potential role. I am learning not to get my hopes up, but at least there are roles out there (and recruiters willing to follow up)

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

First of all I have a call with a recruiter who is running 15 minutes late. Promising, but kind of annoying because its a lunchtime thing

Then I have an interview which is going okay until my computer decides to poo poo itself halfway through the Zoom interview - I then end up having to access Zoom on my phone, as my computer has completely died. loving thing :argh:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The op is from 2013, I think it's fair to not take it as the biblical truth anymore.

If a job application calls MS Office products out specifically then I think it's okay to highlight it in your resume - but if it's part of a long list of programs they've asked for I probably wouldn't worry about including it.

It should be a given for anyone with any kind of corporate career that you'd be familiar with office products anyway I'd think

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Personally I would like to see a reboot - I have to admit I took a minute of pause when I saw the op was so old. That being said I am in no way skilled enough to write a new op so take what I say with a grain of salt

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Also - I have a second interview tomorrow, and a first interview on Thursday. Send me all of your good vibes, goons!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Just one last update on this clusterfuck.

So like I said I finally got the callback from the HR person and didn’t get hired which blew. Then a couple days later I got a voicemail from their recruiter asking me to call them back as soon as possible. So I did and they were just rejecting me again since they didn’t realize they already had. Then a week later I got an email rejecting me.

The worst thing is it’s still less terrible than where I am now but I guess I feel a little better about not working there now.

I'm sorry that happened. I'm not sure what the point of the recruiter saying "call me asap" was, if it was just to reject you. Some employers can be so clumsy when it comes to rejections and frankly it's not at all okay

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

heh

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't. You really really really don't want to do that. Taking a pay cut will continue to cost you money year after year for the rest of your career.

In fairness, money isn't always the most important thing. It doesn't make up for a massively long commute, or a terrible boss, or long work hours

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Does anyone here have experience with Referoo (or similar) for reference checks? It is an online reference checking portal, and my understanding is that the referee completes a a series of online questions, as opposed to answering questions over the phone.

It felt like bad news when I got a text requesting references via Referoo, with a warning saying "your referees are able to request we stop messaging them by replying 'STOP' to our messages' - I thought this is a good way to piss off my referees, by signing them up for a spam service! It feels like a good way to burn bridges to be honest :(

Every previous role all reference checks have been over the phone (both when I have given references, and when I have asked others to give them for me) - so I am not familiar with this at all!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

This seems unnecessarily harsh.

Yeah, this is part of the reason I'm scared to post a resume here - I'm not sure my nerves could take it!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah I'm interested to know if I should remove the date from my degree also! Seems like lying to leave it off but I suppose it isn't - it's not like it has a use by date

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm going through reference checks at the moment for a role, my first referee submitted hers straight away, while my second hasn't even opened the email.

Why can't they just do phone calls like a normal company, why it gotta be a 20 page questionnaire. I just want an offer god drat it!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

5 letters of recommendation seems a lot, is that standard in some industries in America?

I've never had to supply letters of recommendation, I don't think they're such a thing in Australia (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

If on the extreme off chance I get a job offer this morning, is it rude to pull out of an interview on the same day?

I have a job interview at lunch (currently 9.30am) but I really don't want to do it if I can get out of it.