Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
In my hunt to switch career fields, I've taken up multiple pro-bono marketing work for a couple of different events around town. Since I've volunteered marketing/social media skills for 4-5 events within the past 6 months, what is the best way to reflect this on a resume? Do I count it as "freelance" and summarize the overall tasks that I accomplished? It seems like an awful lot to list individually, but sometimes I think "Freelance" work gets brushed off on resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

In December of last year, I applied for a job that I considered to be close to a dream job, at least in terms of getting my foot in the door doing a job I'd like with an organization I like. It was only a part-time gig, but it would lead to full-time. I went through two rounds of interviews and ultimately didn't get the position. I was disappointed.

Based on various advice I read around here, I contacted the person I interviewed with (who would have been my boss) because I felt we had a really good rapport. I contacted them to just say someday I wanted to be in a similar career position as they were and I felt since our backgrounds were similar, maybe they could offer some advice/mentorship on what I could do to achieve my goals.

They contacted me back, we had a nice lunch together, and since then they've helped set me up with volunteer positions that have similar duties to what I want to do for a career. We've stayed in decent touch, then recently they contacted me to say the person they hired back in Dec. for the position I applied for, unexpectedly left. They mentioned the position is full-time now with really good pay/benefits and they encouraged me to apply again (since the job is full-time, it's considered a new position).

I've applied, and have now scheduled my first interview. I should be hopeful, right? But I'm nervous. I know where I might have faltered the first time around, and I have better answers, and in general, I know what to expect since I did it before, but I'm curious if anyone has any additional tips in this situation. The people at this place know me now, and I'm on "good acquaintance" terms with the boss. How do I make 100% sure that I get this job and not screw it up?

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

I had a phone interview today and the interviewer asked me to name my last 5 bosses and how each one would rank me on a scale of 1-10 and why. I've never been asked this before (in the ridiculous amount of interviews that I've now done) and I'm curious why this question might be asked, especially during a phone interview. Thoughts?

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Curious, do employers call people in to offer jobs in person?

I've been through essentially 4 rounds of interviews for a position I'm absolutely ecstatic about pursuing. I get a call today letting me know they've gone through my references and want me to come in and meet one-on-one with the person who would theoretically be my boss. I'm not sure what to expect or if I should prepare for something in particular, or what.

StarSiren fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 31, 2014

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

seacat posted:

No, I've never heard of this happening. They're just having you meet someone within the company. It would take some sadistic fucks to force you to accept or reject an offer point blank in person.

I forgot an important detail. The boss-to-be I've already interviewed with during 2 of my group interviews, and she was the one to call me directly today and ask me to come meet with her one-on-one.

I'll just go into this treating it like another interview, I just feel like it's been an unusual gauntlet of a process.