Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
What did you get two master's and a PhD in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I was always under the impression you should try to use a friend or family member's address that is local to them so that the idea of relocation isn't even a concern to them.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I do both.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

standardtoaster posted:

I would love a critique of mine. I'm trying to transition into a new career, taking some of the skills I use at my current job and applying them full time in a new one.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxhbaTTQZdeTcVhCOVd1cVhzRFk/edit?usp=sharing

I've gone back to school to become an expert in GIS analysis, and that's what I want to do full time.

I'm doing a master's in GIS and looking for work, actually just got my first interview offer a couple hours ago. That being said:

Qualifications should be turned into a shorter and more concise Summary of Qualifications, although I've had some professors suggest it is not necessary if you want to make more room for accomplishments.

Selected accomplishments is redundant if your work experience shows accomplishments.

quote:

Performed analyses of natural gas well impact on groundwater contamination using
lithology and spatial data in ArcGIS.

What analyses of what? "Created unique hot spot analysis in python/model builder to do blah blah blah"

quote:

Created oil and natural gas well feature datasets including key field data, domains, and
subtypes, and created feature classes using geolocation data.
Again, be more specific

quote:

Created analysis maps for expert testimony reports using ArcMap showing the
georeferenced locations of sampling points, oil and natural gas wells, property parcels,roads, and wind speed and wind direction. The maps included titles, legends, compass rose, map descriptions, sources, coordinate system or projection used, and scales.
Condense the first sentence. The second sentence is dumb, you pressed Insert and then clicked the appropriate buttons. Anyone can do this because the work is done by the computer for you.

You can go down the page and ask yourself how you can be more concise and specific for the rest of your work experience. You also should try to move this into one page. One idea would be to put your name in a header or make the titles of sections 12 point font and the text be 11 point font. You should also build a table for your skills and show that off somewhere instead of mixing them into course work. That section is confusing and you should try to avoid mentioning coursework that you've completed. If you do want to do that, have an academic projects section and put something like:

quote:

Spatial Statistics
Performed Location Quotient analysis of home loan defaults to determine potential mortgage fraud and abuse locations

And then have a map available.

I am also eventually going for ESRI Desktop Associate. However, I haven't done that yet and don't think it should be included with a resume - a page of accomplishments.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm just getting started in GIS but these are my impressions.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I'm looking to get back into the workforce as I'm currently a stay at home dad. I've checked out the OP and I think I'm hitting the points I need to. Can anyoen give me some pointer?

Here is the link to a public resume

Also this thread is for reference of my situation, rather than typing it all out again:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572558&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

You have a really vague duty based resume. For example, when you say

quote:

Independent insurance agent licensed for property, casualty, life, and health

Personally responsible for developing and cultivating clientele

it should say something more like

quote:

Cultivated eight trillion new clients and sold x property, y casualty, z life and w health insurance over [time frame]

Increased clientele x% per fiscal quarter

Across state lines? Are you a 1920s bank robber?

quote:

Sold [quantifiable amounts of] insurance in Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, wherever

This repeats for all of your insurance sales jobs. For Best Buy, try putting yourself as "top 10% of sales reps 2009" or whenever that happened.

ING: What was your job? No one knows what a random E4 does and some absurd percentage of the Army is an E4. Were you a paper pusher? Were you responsible for some huge inventory? Did you write any reports? Did you protect/defend something? (not freedom)

You should also move your bullet points over and not waste the white space. Make tables and choose the "no fill" option for borders with single spacing if that helps you.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I interviewed with a company who seemed really interested in me. I answered everything well and thought out, did their test at the end well (or so I thought, it was pretty vague but I made sure to show my work and explain why I did everything I did), they told me about all the opportunities to grow and learn about projects, seemed real interested in my portfolio of projects I brought. It was all around a great interview.

They told me they would let me know by the holidays. I haven't heard anything either way. I think I just need to get this out but someone tell me I'm crazy for stressing out about this right before the holidays. :ohdear: I keep thinking I haven't heard anything because they want to wait until after the holidays to say no. But this doesn't make sense because why should a company care about that?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can someone tell me what a posting like this means?

It's posted as a job with a requisition number and an "Apply Now!" button but there's a dozen different positions listed.

I've seen that on Indeed and didn't know what's up with Leidos for that ad. I'm in school sort of near Reston but Leidos is all over my metro area. I've asked about them and other places requiring a clearance, what I've been told is that you either need serious experience plus an active clearance (TS/SCI poly super secret squirrel preferred). It also helps to have experience in the dozens of other software they want clearly marked. I was also told they're often a black hole to apply to for whatever reason.

But again, this is just stuff I've asked around about. I'm looking at (mostly) GIS tech positions in not defense. Source for most of this is a Navy O5 in my program who does something else other than GIS, not really sure where he's going with this because he's riding out the rest of his career doing whatever it is he does. I think he just needs a master's degree for the check in the box.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I interviewed for a job two weeks ago on December 17, thought it went well, and they told me they anticipated making a decision "by the holidays." I thought I would hear something back by the 23rd at the latest but no luck. I don't expect to hear over the holidays but I'm not exactly sure when that period ends. January 2nd?

My question is, when would it be appropriate to contact the recruiter and ask about the job? I was thinking next Monday January 6 but am not sure if that's too early.

The catch with this hearing back from this job and what makes me think I didn't get it was that it's a contract position working on with a federal agency. The contract expires in March but has at least one month of work beyond that, up to five months. Whatever the case, I would think that would make the decision making process need to be quicker in order to find someone.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Knockknees posted:

I got connected to a high-up person who is passing along my resume to a lot of great people. But, she wants me to remove my summary of qualifications and replace it with an objective. :(

Since I have to write an objective, what is a good resource to write a good one?

Change the title and leave the content?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

angst emotion posted:

Hi all. Hoping for some feedback on my resume.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YljEUSAeg2qT-Kw1MgM8tTUJm6RGFxMiRPvKebTMjjE/edit?usp=sharing

I just recently moved from Atlanta to Seattle with a buddy of mine, and I'm looking to get a job doing data analysis for one of the hundreds of tech companies up here. The problem is, I graduated a year ago and spent too long working at the restaurant instead of doing mathematical work, which is why I'm playing up my coursework in this version.

In addition, any tips for networking and/or actually finding jobs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should play up what you did in school because that doesn't look like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I've been at my job long enough to understand what my duties and what I actually do so I decided it's time to update the resume. I was hired as a tech (which is my title) but actually work as an analyst. Is it cool to write down as the first bullet point "performed the duties of a (my job) analyst"?

FWIW, after starting work, they offered to train me as an analyst in expectation of positions opening up after a contract renewal. Also, that job is more interesting than just being a tech.

prezbuluskey posted:

Great, thanks!

Also this is a dumb question but its in DC (actually rosslyn) and we have a massive snowstorm coming in. I don't know their cancellation policy, and I plan on taking the metro to get in, but has anyone dealt with this on a first day?

Regarding your other post, I did the same thing in a similar area and felt like I looked like an idiot. No, security guard, I can't use the other door because I don't have a card to get in! It was an awkward 5-10 minutes but it ended. Are you supporting the federal government in any way? Call HR, call your boss, check your company's website, whatever, but you are probably not working tomorrow. I know I'm not. In fact, my second day of work was canceled due to snow. Call folks.