Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
I have the dreaded all-day interview tomorrow morning two weeks after the phone screen kicked rear end.

Meet someone for breakfast, then meetings, meetings, meetings, lunch... then a two hour session of them handing a sample data set in which I need to analyze generate a report. Then two more meetings and dinner.

They sprung for a nice hotel for both nights, which is an encouraging sign.

What's not encouraging, or at least confusing, is that I'm scheduled to conduct two phone interviews Wednesday afternoon after I get home. Each is an hour long.

What I Know:
Done my research of the company
Asked for but didn't receive a copy of the day's agenda
Somehow the two interviews wednesday afternoon are important or not important at all.
Have my book to take notes/collect business cards.

tldr version: All-day interview: incoming. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Goky posted:

Sounds like good news--they normally don't go through this kind of trouble unless you're being seriously considered. I had one of these, but it wasn't quite as long. The meetings tend to be short, so each person will probably focus on a specific area. If they don't, you'll end up repeating yourself a lot (which is OK, better than leaving out essential info). I've heard that marathon interviews are a way of determining if you're a good 'culture fit' (i.e., whether they could actually see themselves working with you) so try to be sociable in a way that doesn't scream "I'm trying to show you how sociable I am". Also, make sure you have a cup of water handy--four straight hours of talking is killer on the salivary glands.

Make sure you get contact information from each person so that you can send them all follow-up 'Thank You' emails that night or the next morning. It's very easy to forget who is who when you talk to so many people.

Good luck!

Thanks for this, it was all spot on. It went extremely well and I got the offer yesterday. I even managed to side step the dreaded "how much do you think you should be paid" by answering "I don't get out of bed for less than $1.2 million". He laughed pretty hard at that, then came out with a number, and we ended up about $3k higher. All I'm all, I'm really excited and still in disbelief.

If anyone needs advice about these kinds of interviews, let me know.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What the hell is a CV? I think it's a cover letter, but I don't get the V. What should go in my cover letter?

It's standard in academia. Where the resume highlights your job experience, a CV is more about publications and teaching experience. They usually break the rule of never having a resume longer than one page, and can have varying levels of how comprehensive it is.

It's what I used to make my escape from academia and out to the real world.