Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Without getting into TOO much unnecessary detail.. my current job is asking me to do a lot of black hat / subversive stuff. Nothing overtly illegal but nothing that I can see helping my career or my reputation in my field of work. I am also not given anything in way of budget in order to properly do my job.

Is there a way to frame it so that any hiring managers will "understand" I am leaving because I am a good ethical guy rather than a guy who just appears to want to job jump at the drop of a hat? Without this job it appears I have a sizable 6 month gap between jobs.

To be clear though, I understand it's generally (or even never) a good idea to bad mouth your prior job... but if I get fired for not following orders I may have to explain myself in this way anyway.. Is there a polite way to hint your last job was unreasonable?

Also quitting isn't on the table. I need a job, just like most of you out there. I'll stick with this job as long as I have to, but I can already tell I will be regularly disciplined for issues out of my control.

To expand a little more aside from the owners, 90% of employees were with the small company for under a year and they've seen at least 40 employees cycle in and out inside a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

FrozenVent posted:

"I had a disagreement with management on a question of business ethics, and that's why I'm available" or something like that. If your employer gets caught, I'd also have an answer ready as to why you didn't go to the cops.

I'm not an expert on the hiring process by any mean, but this book helped me a lot with the interview process to get the job I currently have, and I've been recommending it to everybody I know who's interviewing.

Oh thanks I'll look it up.

Yeah the company might just be in the red too.. but as far as I know they aren't doing anything illegal. So there's nothing I can report to the cops even if that were the case.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

For the record I knew you were only making reference to yourself in a silly manner on the forums. I don't know why these people thought you wrote it on your résumé but didn't have time to post a reply because I was at work.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Does anyone have a connection here to HubSpot?

There's an amazing job I applied for, and took a phone interview for.. but I realized I want to get as many legs up against the competition I can get.