Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but I have a job-hunting question.

I'm considering starting a search in a much larger city that is an hour and a half away from where I live now. I need some tips on job searching in a city that you don't live in.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to address the fact that I don't live in the area in my cover letter but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. Would I possibly be selling myself short if I say that I don't need any relocation assistance and the company had planned on offering it? I certainly could use the help if I do end up relocating but I'm trying to make myself look as good as possible and I don't want to scare companies away by requiring relocation. Also, should I mention that I have 'roots' in the area(family, have lived there before)?

Any tips at all for this situation would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006

GreenCard78 posted:

I was always under the impression you should try to use a friend or family member's address that is local to them so that the idea of relocation isn't even a concern to them.

Well I've thought of that but my work experience will still tell them that I'm working in a different city. Maybe I could remove [city name] from the different jobs I've worked?

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Hello there.

I just found out today that my department is being laid off in the next month or so. I haven't touched my resume in a while and I'd like some critique on what I have.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_nphot9YMq2E5SO7N0872sDp6luG9f-hnq-z5IiHMTs/edit?usp=sharing

I'm looking for suggestions on the entire resume, from format to content to anything else.

I do have a couple of questions to start with:

Company B merged with Company A and I've noted that on my resume. Is this the best way to go about it? My duties changed pretty significantly over time at the new company but I'm wondering what looks better for me: the two entries like I have now or one larger entry with a longer work span.

Some of my duties are hard to quantify-

Developed, implemented, and maintained [product name] property adjusting tool.
Designed and built automated electronic forms for [product name] users.

Those didn't involve using an actual coding language, I worked in a couple of internal tools that allowed me to build very specific types of software. Obviously this isn't as valuable as knowing a general language but surely this counts for something. To expand on this, the property adjusting tool involved knowing the ins and outs of home construction as well as the ability to create some pretty technical mathematical formulas.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Alright, back again with my resume.

Xandu has helped me tremendously in getting my resume fixed up but I want to get some more eyes on it.

I added a Skills section but I'm not sure what all to put there, you'll see that is unfinished. I use a couple of different internal tools to build the products I mention on my resume. No one else is going to know these by name but I want to find a way to include them. I'll try to give a rough explanation of how the one I use most often works to see if that will help with any tips:

Use interface to create question
Give question different answers
Attach those answers to an item database
Give items a formula for the system to use (ex: [surface a * factor = result])

This is a very simple way of explaining it but that's the gist. The questions/answers/items then appear in an in-software interface and allow the user to create a result that is based on the answers given and the item formulas.

Anyway, here is my current resume:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fSOOtaoStSin4mHNEZHhqFB1wk5_Wrf8GzRccEZwCVw/edit?usp=sharing

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Is it appropriate to talk about why I'm leaving my current job on a cover letter? I'm still currently employed by my company so it may not be a big deal now but if I'm still applying to jobs after becoming unemployed I feel like it would be a good idea to address it.

edit: forgot to include that I'm being laid off due to a corporate restructure.