Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Has anyone used the Linkedin premium ATS scanner/resume builder? It keeps failing to parse a lot of my resume (mainly the job titles and start/end dates, and company name) and the only thing that seems to work is using their lovely format with way too much white space. Other resume scanners seem to parse it just fine though. Just worried my applications aren't getting past the scanners.

I'm pretty confident on the content of my resume though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

How important are all the different skills you can put on your Linkedin profile? All these jobs I'm looking at have very different skills listed as the 10 they're looking for, and many aren't on my profile though I could easily speak to how I've used them in my career/education. Should I just have the max number and change them around based on the jobs I'm applying to?

I have Linkedin premium and it shows me which ones I have that match the job post, do recruiters/hiring managers even look at them?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What's the opinion on applying for multiple jobs at one company? I've been "under consideration" for 3 weeks now for a senior program manager job at a big tech company and they've closed applications for this job but I haven't heard anything about interviews. They've posted some new job postings that I'm also a good match for. In the past they rejected me in less than 24 hours when I didn't realise it was a technical job from the posting (I don't have any technical background whatsoever).

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've been looking for program management jobs since June here in Seattle and haven't gotten so much as an interview. Just rejections, no response, and quite a few left in some form of "under consideration".

Looking for work in Seattle is pretty demoralizing right now, I can only imagine part of it is the huge amount of people laid off this year in the area. Of my fellow grad school graduates from June that were looking for jobs, not a single one has been hired anywhere yet.

Seems like every job I apply for gets 700+ applicants on Linkedin, and I keep seeing a lot of the same jobs getting reposted by companies.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Feeling pretty discouraged in this job market. Graduated from a top 20 MBA program in June and haven't even had a single interview. Pretty confident in the quality of my resume considering it's been through my programs career center multiple times.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to stand out when every job I'm fully qualified for has like 700 applicants. Lots of my classmates are in the same boat with 0 luck finding a job since graduation.

I go to networking events and it doesn't seem like anyone is hiring, just lots of "good luck in this job market!" from the employed folks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I spent 5 years as an Army officer mostly in logistics/finance roles, including government contracts.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Studied abroad in Berlin, I also got a "Global Business Certificate" from my program. Mostly just because I find travel fun and interesting, I'd like a globally focussed role but not interested in moving from Seattle.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

And I do actually get several interview/job offers every week, but none in Seattle and all in other states. But Seattle is my home.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm honestly not completely opposed to it, just hadn't considered it because I do fully living in a state with legal weed.

I have been applying to state and city government jobs though.

Kind of discouraging to need to look at more entry level jobs considering the scale of the programs and projects I worked on in the Army, especially since 4 of my 5 years were in positions slated for higher ranking officers. The duties and responsibilities for more entry level jobs look boring in comparison.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So I paid about $1000 for a resume rewrite, LinkedIn profile rewrite, and a cover letter package deal. The resume was completed a week or so ago and has immediately produced results and now I have 2 huge tech companies interviewing me for Sr. Program Manager roles. Was not expecting this a mere week after applying for jobs with my new resume.

Which is great, but they're asking me what my compensation expectations are. The salary range on the job postings are like $110-190k. Having been job searching for 5 months since graduation, I'd honestly take the $110k and be happy with it but don't really know what to answer them with.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My original resume was the format used by my school for MBA recruiting and honestly just looks like the most basic rear end resume there is. Education on top followed by experience.

My new one has a short summary, highlights stuff I did during my MBA, and a section on key strengths. Might have gone overboard redacting stuff but I feel like it pretty easily identifies me otherwise. But it does show the format I'm using now, which I think is the important part.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

wash bucket posted:

"I thought I told you to stop letting all your vacation days pile up? Start taking some time off!"

The time off:

Once I was on leave and hiked up to the summit of a mountain and as soon as I got to the top apparently I had signal and a call came through from work.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So something strange has happened while interviewing for Amazon. I've interviewed for 2 different Senior Program Manager roles in Seattle, and a third Amazon recruiter is contacting me about a third Senior Program Manager role based on passing their assessment (which I'm assuming they can see from the ones I took a month ago for the other two positions?). Thing is, I never applied to this role and it's located in Arizona. They want to set up interviews with me. I can't even read the job description because the link goes to a page saying it doesn't exist. All I can tell is it's a Senior PM for AHS "communications and insights".

I didn't get the first two roles, I was told they went with internal hires.

I'm happy my new resume is getting me interviews for the roles I'm looking for, but not really interested in moving and my Amazon profile even has "not willing to relocate" checked.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm going to take the interview and hear them out. Finally got a link that works, interestingly this PM role asks for more experience than the ones I had been applying to, though I meet the requirements for this one too.

It's for sure in Arizona though, the full job description specifically mentions it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Amazon is telling me I missed my interview today, but to my knowledge they never responded after I gave them my availability. No email, nothing in their job portal, nothing. Don't know who the interviewer is, just that they told the recruiter I missed it.

I didn't apply for this job so I can't see it in my open applications, maybe that's it.

It's the job in Arizona so I wasn't really interested in it anyway, but annoying nonetheless.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Have a series of interviews coming up with AWS, and one of them is with someone in the c-suite. Really was not expecting someone that high up to be involved in interviewing a fairly junior position. Was expecting like a senior manager at most.

Curious what kind of questions they're going to ask, though I know Amazon has mainly asked behavioral questions for the most part with all of my interviews with them so far.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Doing the Amazon "loop" today with 5 interviewers. Can't wait to get this poo poo over. 5 hours of interviews. gently caress me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's good to hear! Reddit seems to be full of people with bad experiences with the process, but that's not surprising because people with good experiences probably aren't posting on the internet about it.

I'm mostly nervous that they'll ask a question that I hadn't prepared for and I won't be able to think of a good one on the spot.

But the hiring manager already told me she would have hired me on the spot if she could, and she's one of the interviewers I have today.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

redreader posted:

I had a 5-rounds interview at amazon in around 2015. I didn't get it because one guy had a single 45 minute technical question about binary trees where you also had a function to see the grandparent or something, and I totally blanked and went 'uhhhhh' for about 45 minutes.

But that wasn't the worst! The worst was the 'negative man' who would have been my director or something. None of his questions were technical, but they were all negative. It was rapid fire for 45 minutes and it was all
"what's the worst thing about you? No, that's a bullshit answer. Who was your worst boss? Who was your worst colleague? Tell me when you got into an argument at work. What's the worst place you've worked at? What's the worst thing you've done?"

He must have asked me like 50-60 questions like that at least, and I'm still traumatized. Right at the end I said "that was the toughest interview I've ever had" and he said "NO IT WASN'T!"

My hiring manager and recruiter have been really nice, but that sounds loving awful. Sounds like you dodged a bullet, I wouldn't want to work for a team like that.

Hopefully everyone else is as nice as the hiring manager.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's finally over. I think it went well, everyone seemed to like my answers. Fortunately, there was no negative man to deal with lol.

Honestly everyone was really nice.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The job posting for the job I went through 5 interviews for on Friday has been pulled from Amazon's website. I'm supposed to find out tomorrow if I got the job.

The wait is killing me. Been applying and interviewing for 7 months now.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years. Said they're going to contact me again next week about other roles.

This has been the worst job search of my life. Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm looking at job postings today and I don't even feel like the effort will be worth it.

A cover letter? Why the gently caress would I spend time writing one of those just to not get the job anyway? Is anyone even reading them?

I don't even know how to interview better because I'm told I interview great, but they always go with someone else or hire internally.

Like I just have no loving idea how I can possibly improve my job searching. Most of my interviews are from recruiters contacting me, cold applying only rarely gets me an interview.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So my military experience is 5 years as an Army officer, so entirely project/program management, with my final two roles being in logistics/finance. I have a top 20 MBA.

Tech, finance, and logistics have been hammered hard with layoffs and I'm getting nowhere with those jobs in Seattle. Tons of laid off people in these industries here are also looking for work and every job posting is getting hundreds of applicants. I get interviews, and told I interview well, but never any offers.

I wouldn't mind working for a smaller company, but I rarely ever come across their job postings.

I keep seeing healthcare and government as two sectors that are actually hiring. How can I leverage my experience into a role in the healthcare industry? When I look at job postings they want people with previous healthcare experience.

From my perspective, finding a job is an impossible task. Someone could hold a gun to my head and tell me find a job or die, and I guess I would just die. Just doesn't seem possible.

edit: I was consistently a top ranked officer for all of my evaluations, I won case competitions against my peers at business school. But this job search has completely wrecked my confidence.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 1, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

pmchem posted:

given your background, would there be some DoD contractor who'd pick you up because they need someone who can handle nonpublic info?

I'd honestly prefer to stay as far away as possible from working with anything DoD adjacent. Looking forward to the point where my Army jobs are far enough in the past that they aren't even on a one page resume. My secret clearance also ends sometime next year I believe.

ultrafilter posted:

Someone you worked with in the military knows a contractor who's hiring. And what about your MBA progam's career office?

I don't trust my program's career office to be perfectly honest. They stress networking and I've done tons of it over the last 7 months and it's pretty much always some variation of "job market is tough out there, chin up, something will break eventually!". And I think their resume format is bad, I didn't get any interviews using their resume format.

My fellow classmates are also complaining about their experience with the career office. We're in Seattle and our program is heavily geared towards tech jobs just due to the local economy.

Lockback posted:

So some encouragement and some tough love. And maybe a little advice.

Job hunting isn't a referendum against you. There are factors at play that are beyond your control. People aren't looking at you and deciding "Is this person worth a job or not", it's entirely a game where you don't get to see the competition, you don't get to see the expectations, and you usually don't even get to know all the rules. So your only option is play the numbers game, keep trucking, and honestly there's no reason not to believe someone if they say "Yeah you were great and passed our requirements but you just weren't the top choice". No shame in that and it's a good sign, its way easier just to say nothing.

If you're looking for program management or business/process management jobs this reaction is a big problem. Those jobs are VERY focused on being able to jump through the right hoops and being able to BS your way through whatever you need to do. They're asking you to suck up and impress a bunch of old white guys, thats what they want to see. That's the game.

I used to work as a civilian contractor on a base and had a lot of connections from people on the more business-y side of the military. This may apply to you or not, but one VERY common misconception I've seen from people coming out is the idea that the business world works like the military does. If you check enough boxes and do the things and have patience your turn will come. This is not true. The people hiring are going to pick whoever helps them the most. Sometimes that means the person who checks the boxes, sometimes it means taking a risk on a wunderkind sometimes it means picking the VPs idiot nephew. No one cares if they don't select the best match on paper. Particularly in the Army/Air Force they love to drill into people's heads how in demand ex-military officers are and how great you're going to be setup when you leave, and while there's some truth to that it's more true that you'll need to hustle, work your network, and find an edge like everyone else.

My main gripe with the cover letters is that I've custom written 12 of them and spent quite a bit of time on each one to make sure it hits everything in the job posting and why I want the job. Not a single one of those jobs wanting cover letters ever resulted in an interview. Months and months later those application are still sitting at "submitted" or "processing" on their websites.

I've gone to many networking events, regularly meet with friends and classmates about the job search. Never goes anywhere. Just mutual bitching about not being able to find anything.

I have friend with ivy league educations and FAANG experience that can't find a job. If they're struggling too, how the gently caress am I supposed to get a job?

I see a lot of jobs that I think my personality/experience would be a good fit for but still searching after 7 months has left me feeling like I'm not a good fit for anything.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

According to the senior recruiter I've been working with typically if someone doesn't getting a job after the final round of "loop" interviews they're blacklisted for two years from getting another interview at Amazon.

Said they're considering me for other roles and they'd get back to me Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

lmao I generally keep my negativity and bitching to the internet/SA.

But I'd be lying if I said the last 7 months of job searching hasn't really rubbed my rear end raw.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well, it sounds like the resume you were using was appealing enough to move you forward.

For my final round of Amazon interviews it was almost entirely behavioral questions to see how well your personality aligns to Amazon's leadership principles and culture. Other than giving a brief overview of my career at the beginning of each interview it wasn't used all that much.

I passed the final round but didn't receive an offer, apparently the rest of the team preferred someone with a more traditional finance background for the role. They say they're going to try to find other roles I'm a better fit for.

Look up the Amazon leadership principles. On reddit and elsewhere you can find examples of questions associated with each principle, come up with good STAR answers for each one. They'll almost assuredly also ask one that's about a time you failed at something.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Amazon got back to me, one of my 5 interviewers is interested in me for a role with the same title on the same team, just different work. They say I won't have to do the 5 person loop again, just interview with the manager. He was easily the nicest person I interviewed with, hopefully this one will work out this time.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Have my next interview with Amazon scheduled and I'm not even sure what I can do to prepare. At this point they've already interviewed me for about 6 hours, soon to be 7. What more could they possibly learn?

I know the weak point for this role for me is the fact that I don't have a traditional finance fp&a background, just a finance component to my last two roles in the Army as a logistician. I can't conjure a pure finance background for my resume.

But this particular senior manager saw something appealing when he interviewed me during the 5 person loop. Pretty sure the first opening on this team was given to someone else since they pulled that job posting. This one is the same job title with slightly different work.

All I can think of is shoring up my fp&a knowledge with some online classes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Seems hiring everywhere is moving at a snails pace.

Apparently "should we hire this person, Y/N?" is a difficult question to answer.

Had an easier time finding a job during the great recession.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Has anyone ever used "coffee chats" or actively networking to land a job? I just don't see why someone would want to meet up and get coffee with some random person from LinkedIn. Every once in a while, someone recommends this to me and this seems like something only an extremely outgoing extrovert could pull off. That's not me.

Like if some random person messaged me on LinkedIn I'd be willing to message them about whatever they're interested in if I know anything about it. But I definitely wouldn't want to have a zoom meeting about it, let alone actually meet them for coffee somewhere.

Like I go to networking events in my city but I've never met any people that are actively hiring. Just lots of "job market sucks right now, good luck!" or "I'm trying to switch jobs and can't land anything either".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There are companies here in Seattle that I'm very interested in and used to be my dream employer, but they've gone through layoffs in the past year, and I haven't seen them post any new job postings since then.

And they're kind of niche, like one of them is an e-bike company. Actually, picked this particular company to do a big project in business school.

Maybe I should contact a few people there about their industry and they'll have me in the back of their mind should any jobs open up in the future.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Had my next interview with Amazon today, went great. It was basically a formality. They were very impressed during the loop interview and they want me on their team, I just didn't get the first role because it involved more advanced modelling and they wanted to find me a better fit.

So it's same title, same team, slightly different models and reports. He wants me to email him and he'll set me up with someone on their team to get me started learning the models and reports they use.

As far as the job, I found out for sure next week if I get approved to backfill someone leaving their team. Sounds like hiring is very.... particular and involves way higher levels of approval than I'd expect. Which I guess isn't too surprising given the current conditions of the tech industry.

If I don't get approved to backfill their team they want to find me another role at Amazon. Manager, senior manager, and VP all want to add comments to my profile to help me out if that's the case.

I spent like 20-25 hours preparing for that loop interview. Even not getting a role there my interview skills are way better from all of that prep.

CarForumPoster posted:

Sounds like a plan and I have no extra advice regarding reaching out. One thought though: hoo boy the ebike industry seems like a brutally competitive one with almost no barrier to entry other than brand. If you're gonna roll the dice on an industry with a lot of entrants and just as many losers, pick one thats growing and is already that the size you want to work for. I'd perhaps look for one that's vertically integrated as far as design too, i.e. they design and make (or use an OEM in Asia) their own battery pack, electronic speed controller, etc. The companies assembling third party commoditized components tend to struggle more when demand plateaus and dont have the technical spirit/know how to innovate.

The company is Rad Power Bikes, which I believe is the largest e-bike company in the US and it's headquartered here in Seattle.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

They're the closest anyone has come to offering me a job that not only pays me, but pays well. Like $50k higher.

I'll take what I can get.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You don't understand why one of the most valuable companies in the world looks good on someone's resume?

Three quarters of the people I know here in Seattle work for either Amazon, Google, or Microsoft and they bounce around the various big tech companies for advancement.

Having Amazon on my resume would absolutely make any future job searches or career changes a thousand times easier.

There's no shortage of things to criticize about Amazon but I don't think their ability to make money is one of them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Got the job with AWS. 70 days from initial contact from the hiring manager on LinkedIn to the email notifying me today. Should have the offer to go over with the senior recruiter tomorrow.

Took 9 months after graduating grad school to land a job. Hundreds of applications, many of them to Microsoft and Amazon since I live in Seattle.

This is just my personal experience with landing a job in a big tech company, but I'd recommend having a really good LinkedIn profile that gets noticed by a hiring manager or recruiter. Many of these roles are probably getting hundreds if not a thousand plus applications and it's tough to get noticed with just your resume. Cold applications didn't get me too far.

Once you've talked to the hiring manager the biggest hurdles are the "loop" interviews with 5 different people. I'll write more in a later post on how I prepared for these, but you need to be very good at answering STAR interview questions. Impress these people and even if they don't think you're a good fit for the role you initially interviewed for they may instead find you a different one, which is what happened to me. Initial role they thought was too technical for my experience, so they found me a role with the same title on a different team.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I almost exclusively used LinkedIn for finding jobs and then applied on company websites directly. Indeed seemed to have all of the same postings as LinkedIn so I stopped using it. Recruiters also only ever contacted me on LinkedIn.

Probably depends on the local job market as too which job board is better though.

Like 75% of my interviews were from recruiters contacting me directly, so I highly recommend reading up on how to make a great LinkedIn profile or pay someone to do it for you. I paid for a resume rewrite and a LinkedIn Profile rewrite and both helped me land the job at AWS.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'd recommend polishing up your LinkedIn profile too, I got 3x as many interviews from recruiters and hiring managers that contacted me on there than I did from cold applications. It's also how I eventually ended up landing a job.

I paid a resume service to make me a new resume and improve my LinkedIn profile. In regard to LinkedIn, they put a lot of effort into writing a good About section that really gets into who I am and what I have to offer. Each role I've had has the typical quantitative resume bullets and also linked to all the relevant skills that you can select on LinkedIn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I used seattleresumes.com, which I believe is part of getresumehelp.com, or they're ran by the same person anyway. Job Market Solutions is the company.

I got waaaay more responses and messages immediately after using the resume and linkedin rewrite they made for me.