Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He thinks that the blue word Messages is too close to the black word Paul and it's making him feel claustrophobic.
When that name gets long it will run together, resulting in ugliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Is it still relatively easy to go back to a stable release iOS after installing a developer preview? I haven't had a preview-eligible device in so long that I don't know what's changed since then.

I think they say it's impossible, but it's never been anything a dfu restore couldn't handle.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Is it still relatively easy to go back to a stable release iOS after installing a developer preview? I haven't had a preview-eligible device in so long that I don't know what's changed since then.

Oh heavens no. They made it harder to go back as an anti-jailbreak deal. It might be possible with some DFU tricks, but still not "easy".

Installing it on your day to day phone is a terrible idea and I've burned myself with it like three years in a row. Having said that...it can't be that bad this time, right...?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

Oh heavens no. They made it harder to go back as an anti-jailbreak deal. It might be possible with some DFU tricks, but still not "easy".

Installing it on your day to day phone is a terrible idea and I've burned myself with it like three years in a row. Having said that...it can't be that bad this time, right...?
It'll likely be worse.

Just depends on how much you absolutely rely on non-stock apps. Probably 85% of your experience will be fine.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

ultramiraculous posted:

Oh heavens no. Installing it on your day to day phone is a terrible idea and I've burned myself with it like three years in a row. Having said that...it can't be that bad this time, right...?

Ah, I dunno. I've done it 3 years in a row, and while battery life definitely took a good 15% hit on the initial betas, I've not had anything catastrophic happen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He thinks that the blue word Messages is too close to the black word Paul and it's making him feel claustrophobic.

Basically. I'm a pad happy designer.

I also feel that there's not enough vertical padding in the new Safari toolbar. I realize not many give a poo poo.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Considering the iPad betas won't even be available for another week or two, I think it's safe to assume that there's still going to be a bunch of polishing going on in the few months before release.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

It's not difficult to go back from a beta because they are still signing the current version. All you have to do is hit restore in iTunes (EDIT - and put the phone in DFU mode). Restoring from a beta backup probably won't work though.

You're thinking of people going back to versions that aren't being signed anymore, which is an anti-jailbreak measure.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 10, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

empty baggie posted:

It's not difficult to go back from a beta because they are still signing the current version. All you have to do is hit restore in iTunes. Restoring from a beta backup probably won't work though.

You're thinking of people going back to versions that aren't being signed anymore, which is an anti-jailbreak measure.

No, they usually prevent you from going back to even signed old versions once you've installed a beta.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The biggest beta drawback for me past 4 (had some hiccups on 4) was there always is some feature I used once or twice that disappears from the gold edition and I get really confused six months later trying to find wifi/cellular mixing or whatever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarkJC posted:

No, they usually prevent you from going back to even signed old versions once you've installed a beta.

No, they say that they do but everyone who tries is able to by going through a dfu. Maybe they'll change it this time, but probably not.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just gonna watch the iOS7 video on loop while I constantly refresh the developer page.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, they say that they do but everyone who tries is able to by going through a dfu. Maybe they'll change it this time, but probably not.

Yeah, but the guy said it's as easy as clicking "Restore", which it isn't.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus/oilipfekkmncanaajkapbpancpelijih?utm_source=plus

Hopefully this will help you do other things

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how the Auxo guy feels now that Apple has completely ripped him off, only better.

Edit - :lol: at this being the first Google result: Auxo For iPad: The App Switcher Apple Wouldn’t Make

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Yeah, but the guy said it's as easy as clicking "Restore", which it isn't.

I left out DFU mode, which really isn't a big deal whatsoever.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

ultramiraculous posted:

I wonder how the Auxo guy feels now that Apple has completely ripped him off, only better.

Edit - :lol: at this being the first Google result: Auxo For iPad: The App Switcher Apple Wouldn’t Make

But WebOS did the same multitasking design ages ago? :confused: It's even on WP.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I can't get over how much "5S " looks like "SS", and then Apple has to go make iOS all blonde-haired and blue-eyed... don't get me wrong, I dig the new look, but please don't tell me the new flat icons are Hugo Boss designed.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Foiltha posted:

But WebOS did the same multitasking design ages ago? :confused: It's even on WP.

And Nokia's ill-fated Swipe, which was itself created by a bunch of Apple alumni.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Can anyone get into the Apple Dev site? I can't even get to the logon screen.

e: nevermind, this was covered on the first page. Down for everyone I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone with a dev account, there's the "Platforms State of the Union" at 2:30-4:30 PST, hopefully the video stream will be up soon afterwards. In previous years it was sort of like another keynote but more dev focused so it might have more interesting bits on iOS 7 (and OS X if you're also a Mac user).

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
What does this look like on a black iphone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SparkPeople posted:

What does this look like on a black iphone?

Prediction: There is no black phone from here on.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's racist

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Speaking of the white phones, what's up with the home buttons on these phones.

Embossed home buttons?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Has the screen always had rounded corners like that?

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

echobucket posted:

Speaking of the white phones, what's up with the home buttons on these phones.

Embossed home buttons?

That's the way they've always looked in Apple's photography.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Posting from one - yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

My black iPhone 5 does. The usable screen doesn't go all the way to the bezel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pixel portion of the display has rounded corners too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

withak posted:

Prediction: There is no black phone from here on.

They've finally chosen the right color, then :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

They've finally chosen the right color, then :colbert:

For five or six years before everyone is all UGH MORE WHITE.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
dev site + ios 7 beta is up!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So is there usually a goon beta share or something? I would looooove me some of that :)

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
honestly as an iOS dev with a single phone, looking at the scope of changes I am staying far the gently caress away from installing any beta for a while.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nebby posted:

honestly as an iOS dev with a single phone, looking at the scope of changes I am staying far the gently caress away from installing any beta for a while.

Yeah keep in mind the last few iOS updates were full of relatively minor changes so the chances that something gets catastrophically broken in beta were a lot smaller than now with an update that looks like it has a lot of big changes.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Anyone else notice the weather they show in the preview video looks very similar to the new Yahoo Weather app? That's awesome because the Yahoo app is great.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

choobs posted:

Anyone else notice the weather they show in the preview video looks very similar to the new Yahoo Weather app? That's awesome because the Yahoo app is great.

A lot of the new design is pretty inspired by other apps: http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/10/ios-7-steals-mailboxs-gestures-sunrises-layout-bb10s-back-button-weboss-multitasking/

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

All this talk of advanced multitasking and auto updates makes me wonder if my poor little iPhone 4 will be able to handle iOS7.

I know the phone is supported but how well will it run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Well iOS's weather app was always powered by Yahoo, so I think it was less "inspired by" and more like "integrated into".... if that makes sense.

Snuffman posted:

All this talk of advanced multitasking and auto updates makes me wonder if my poor little iPhone 4 will be able to handle iOS7.

I know the phone is supported but how well will it run?

I have a feeling that older devices won't have all the new features, like how the 4 doesn't have Siri or Turn-by-Turn. The 4 (and maybe the 4S?) probably won't have parallax and maybe some of the advanced multitasking capabilities.

choobs fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 10, 2013

• Locked thread