Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Did my 4S this morning; no wacky activation necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the GM is meant to be the code-complete final release unless a major issue is found, so there won't be any developer activation or debug-symbol-related performance hits.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The fun stuff with iCloud Drive and the integration with OSX (is Yosemite still in beta with the GM nowhere in sight?) is still not there, right? So the best you got is phone/ipad integration of poo poo like texting and calling?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The fun stuff with iCloud Drive and the integration with OSX (is Yosemite still in beta with the GM nowhere in sight?) is still not there, right? So the best you got is phone/ipad integration of poo poo like texting and calling?
Correct. And in fact, once you update to iCloud Drive any applications rely on iCloud for document access (iWork, Pixelmator, TextEdit, etc.) can't find any iCloud files anymore. You can't access your files from Mavericks.

They almost have to release Yosemite next week. There's already been plenty of discussion about this in the OS X thread though, and really belongs there.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iCloud Drive is present and you can use it among as many iPads and iPhones (and Macs running the DP of Yosemite) all you like but it's not at all backwards compatible so any Mavericks Macs can't see anything you put in iCloud Drive, which means the documents of anything that migrates to Drive, until Yosemite comes out and you upgrade, or Apple releases a patch to support it in Mavericks.

e: put another way, on September 17 (or now if you install the GM) your iPad and iPhone can do all of the new stuff with each other all day but your Mac will be waiting for a while to join in.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Eyespy posted:

For the OzGoons, Optus has announced that preorders open 5pm on the 12th (vie Twitter. I assume that Telstra/Virgin will have a similar timeframe.

Optus is also trading in old phones, $250 for my iPhone 5 in good condition which seems like an okay deal. Anyone know where to get a better price?

Have they announced any plans yet?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has anyone heard of Best Buy doing pre-orders? I've got a bunch of credit and signed up for that free $50 gift card when I upgrade. Although, I don't know if $50 is worth waiting in line next Friday for.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

suddenlyissoon posted:

Has anyone heard of Best Buy doing pre-orders? I've got a bunch of credit and signed up for that free $50 gift card when I upgrade. Although, I don't know if $50 is worth waiting in line next Friday for.

I don't remember them doing one, but honestly it sounds like they're anticipating a huge demand for them.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Has anyone seen any indication that the 6+ supports six rows of icons? Every screenshot I can find shows 5, and even with multiple pages.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It'll support 6. They're not going to leave a blank space there just to taunt you.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

One question I just thought of. Will the 6+ enable you to put a fifth icon in the dock?

Vintimus Prime fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 11, 2014

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone had luck cleaning the dust off the inside of the lens on the iPhone 5's rear camera? I asked about it while I was at the Apple store today getting my battery replaced, but the genius staff claimed they were unable to work on anything with the camera. I (think I) have another few weeks of AppleCare+ left, so I could press for a warranty replacement, but looking at iFixit's guide the process of getting to the back lens looks only moderately intimidating.

It really kills my desire to use the camera, so I'd prefer to not just deal with it until my upgrade renews in February.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
If i pre-order the contract free T-Mobile 6+ will it work on AT&T's LTE?

Any idea how long after release Apple usually starts selling the regular unlocked GSM model?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Has anyone had luck cleaning the dust off the inside of the lens on the iPhone 5's rear camera? I asked about it while I was at the Apple store today getting my battery replaced, but the genius staff claimed they were unable to work on anything with the camera. I (think I) have another few weeks of AppleCare+ left, so I could press for a warranty replacement, but looking at iFixit's guide the process of getting to the back lens looks only moderately intimidating.

It really kills my desire to use the camera, so I'd prefer to not just deal with it until my upgrade renews in February.
If you have AppleCare+ then you should absolutely get it replaced, not try to fix it yourself.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you have AppleCare+ then you should absolutely get it replaced, not try to fix it yourself.

Seriously. Don't gently caress with a camera lens, especially if you already paid for the warranty.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Best Buy has generally done a horribly lovely job on pre-orders, based on the past they will gladly take your pre-order along with everyone else's with no idea about how much stock they are going to be allocated and of what, you may get your pre-order on launch day, it make take them weeks to work through their backlog and get in the specific model you pre-ordered. They might also sell it to someone else because they are sitting right there with cash when it comes in.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I preordered a 5S at Target and they emailed me in February to tell me they had a phone for me so don't do that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My phone's second hand, so I didn't technically pay for AppleCare+. :ssh: But I'm pretty sure it should still be valid, I'll inquire about it tomorrow.

e: 10 days left, sweet.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Three Olives posted:

They might also sell it to someone else because they are sitting right there with cash when it comes in.

When the 5 came out I was running around between the Best Buys in my area looking for two phones for a couple weeks. I ended up getting them after a manager told me that someone had preordered 2 phones but never showed up, and I'd have to be there 24 hours after he was notified in order for the system to release them and buy them myself. They tried to do it like an hour beforehand but the system blocked the sale, so this is completely wrong.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Vintimus Prime posted:

One question I just thought of. Will the 6+ enable you to put a fifth icon in the dock?

Nothing has been said, but I'd be very surprised if the answer to this was yes.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

webmeister posted:

Not that I've seen. Watch the twitter of your provider of choice.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Any word/rumor on availability of the 6 vs 6+? I'm still on a family plan with my dad but don't live in the same city and am trying to decide if I should just preorder online and wait for the shipping delay to him then to me or take my chances next week in-store.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I might be an idiot here, but after upgrading both my iPhone and iPad to iOS 8... where's my Camera Roll? I've done the iCloud drive switch - has it merged my complete photo collection on both my devices?

edit: Also, probably a very stupid question - but is there technologically any possibility for Chrome in Windows to have an extension that can somehow shove a URL out to Handoff? Cuz if so, I think my life would be complete.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 11, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Any word/rumor on availability of the 6 vs 6+? I'm still on a family plan with my dad but don't live in the same city and am trying to decide if I should just preorder online and wait for the shipping delay to him then to me or take my chances next week in-store.

It always varies. Some places have a massive stock but run out easily, some have a massive stock and people can just walk in three days later and buy it. I know, for a fact, that here, there will be lines well into the second week of its availability.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Question Mark Mound posted:

edit: Also, probably a very stupid question - but is there technologically any possibility for Chrome in Windows to have an extension that can somehow shove a URL out to Handoff? Cuz if so, I think my life would be complete.
Yes, however Apple has limited it to only be able to handoff to apps made by the same developer. So you could Handoff to Chrome on your iPhone, but not to Safari.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
This is kinda silly, but apparently you can order free Ringke clear cases for the iPhone 6 (not plus) by way of 2 coupon codes...

http://slickdeals.net/f/7194242-rea...slickdealsindex

Have to use the non-Prime version sold by Rearth and it works. :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This is kinda silly, but apparently you can order free Ringke clear cases for the iPhone 6 (not plus) by way of 2 coupon codes...

http://slickdeals.net/f/7194242-rea...slickdealsindex

Have to use the non-Prime version sold by Rearth and it works. :stare:

In the 15 minutes between you posting this and me trying it, the free item code doesn't seem to work anymore, though the free shipping does. :negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Josh Lyman posted:

In the 15 minutes between you posting this and me trying it, the free item code doesn't seem to work anymore, though the free shipping does. :negative:

Figured as much, it was posted on Slickdeals and who knows where else. :v:

I fully expect my order to be cancelled though. :unsmith:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

webmeister posted:

Telstra's preorder is at 5:01pm tomorrow - no details on plans which is annoying.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
drat. I really could've used some cheap iPhone 6 case for the time being.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

noirstronaut posted:

drat. I really could've used some cheap iPhone 6 case for the time being.

Here you go.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So... iTunes Radio is just not gonna be a thing in the UK? It's been a year. Hopefully Apple Pay comes by much quicker!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Racist posted:

My phone's second hand, so I didn't technically pay for AppleCare+. :ssh: But I'm pretty sure it should still be valid, I'll inquire about it tomorrow.

e: 10 days left, sweet.

It's still valid AND cleaning dust from the lens is a free warranty issue NOT a paid accidental damage replacement.

If you're lucky, they might even break your phone doing it like they did with mine and you'll get a refurbished one back!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I might be an idiot here, but after upgrading both my iPhone and iPad to iOS 8... where's my Camera Roll? I've done the iCloud drive switch - has it merged my complete photo collection on both my devices?

I don't think there really is the concept of a camera roll anymore in iOS 8 with the new iCloud Photos system. The Recently Added album is the closest thing but I don't think it's quite the same. All of your photos should just be in iCloud and then synced to all devices.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How the hell did this U2 album get on my phone and how do I get it off?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Laserface posted:

How the hell did this U2 album get on my phone and how do I get it off?

You have to listen to it all the way through and then it should auto delete. If it doesn't, restart it and try again and it almost certainly should after the second play.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

You have to listen to it all the way through

That's hosed up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

:woosh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think there really is the concept of a camera roll anymore in iOS 8 with the new iCloud Photos system. The Recently Added album is the closest thing but I don't think it's quite the same. All of your photos should just be in iCloud and then synced to all devices.

What if I have more than 5 gigs worth of photos and don't want to pay for extra iCloud space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
Do I really need to get up at 3am EDT to place my preorder or will I be OK waiting until later that morning? I can't pick up the phone until the 21st anyway. Will this be an issue? I've never tried to get an iPhone this soon after release before.

• Locked thread