Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I love that he thinks he can unilaterally declare you've agreed to things and that he thinks he can sue you for copyright violations he assumes have occured and even future violations he assumes will occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

coolbian57 posted:

I am a pretty smart guy, and I'd like to think I am decent at programming, but how can they expect me to do complex tasks when I have no previous experience and no real training? I am working on a large scale eCommerce website, which has pretty complex things to implement like review systems, user databases, payment gateways, tons and tons of individual product pages which have to be individually programmed, etc.
First, unless I'm misunderstanding you, you shouldn't be programming product pages individually. You should have a database table of products and have one page that you pass the ID of a product to that will fill in info from the database to create the page for that product. Never do individual static pages when a single dynamic page will do.

quote:

Also, any programmers have advice on where to begin with building a secure review system in ASP.net? That would be unbelievably awesome, if you can help me with that. I don't know where to start.

I assume that if you're programming in .Net you have a SQL Server database available. You say you want it to be secure, so you'll want a table that holds user info- username, a hash of their password (never store passwords in plain text; use a has algorithm when they create the password, store the hash in your database, and when they log in use the same hash algorithm on the password they enter and compare the hash to the one stored in your database), and their shipping and billing information (since you'll want to use the same account for reviews and for buying products). You'll have the aforementioned table of product info (name, price, shipping cost/dimensions/weight/whatever, path to product images). You'll have a table for the reviews themselves; it will have a field for a user ID (to let you know who made the review) and a product ID (to let you know what product the review was about), in addition to the numeric rating and the text of the review. If you want to do this Amazon style, you'll have essentially 3 pages: one page is the main product page, which pulls info from the product table and will pull the first 3 reviews from the review table that match that product ID. If there are more than 3 reviews, you'd link to a second page, which will have all reviews for that product listed. You'll have a third page for entering in a review, which will write to the review table, taking the ID of the product that you're on and the id of the user you're logged in as. (You'll also need pages for logging in and creating an account, but I'm assuming that's already taken care of by the time you're looking to write a review).

This is kinda high level stuff; for looking up the details of any particular step, Google is very much your friend and the best tool a programmer has. There are a ton of code examples out there, and if you learn nothing else from the internship than how to find those you'll have spent your time well.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Subjunctivitis posted:

Hoooooo boy.

Ok.

It's kinda hard to really describe the situation in depth, suffice it to say that the outcome was certainly not what I wanted, nor what I thought I could reasonably expect.

That said, we were each "rewarded" with $0.

The judge spent about 30 mins asking us questions about our circumstances and the nature of our perceived agreement (i.e. how we each believed the terms of the training situation to be). She then spent about 30 mins chewing us both the gently caress out.

The judge was pissed that the photographer stopped payment on his checks and that he didn't pay the remaining invoices, since we had an ongoing fee-for-work relationship. The judge was also pissed at me for up and quitting the training and not "being a man about it" and giving him an ultimatum. She felt like he spent a good amount of his precious time training me, and regardless of his lack of hard evidence, he was owed something for the training. She finished off with saying, as the previous judge did, "Get your contracts and agreements in writing!"

My biggest frustration comes from the fact that I was willing to provide more in-depth information this time around than last time, and the judge was less interested in hearing anything than the first judge we appeared before. (Last time the photographer talked and talked and I answered the questions simply and directly.)

While I am disappointed in the outcome, I'm glad this shitshow is over, and when push comes to shove, I'm in no different position today than I was yesterday.

Feel free to ask questions.

So does that mean you're getting paid the invoices but no other damages, or are you not even getting that much?

• Locked thread