Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently working at an unpaid internship doing web development, as I wanted to gain experience in programming before graduating and I still have a part time job on the side with flexible hours, so I can still make money over the summer. However, it's going a bit below my expectations for a few reasons...

They provided almost no training for me to the work. Their training consisted of a total of about an hour and a half of talk time, showing me how to do specific things, and referring me to a few books to read. This is a small local startup business, and the owners work (i'd guess) 120 hours a week running their business and doing development, plus one of the owners has a newborn. So I understand that they literally don't have time to train me (but then why hire an intern with no previous experience?!). Now they are complaining that I am going too slow, and am unable to do the work. They did not even give me any deadlines or specific projects to work on, so how can they say I am going too slow? They have also called me awkward (probably true), and make me feel unwanted there, even though I really have nothing to talk to them about and just want to do good work (basically they are being very immature for being in their late 30s). They originally had plans to hire me as a subcontractor after the summer, but have gone back on their offer now because I am too slow.

I am a pretty smart guy, and I'd like to think I am decent at programming, but how can they expect me to do complex tasks when I have no previous experience and no real training? I am working on a large scale eCommerce website, which has pretty complex things to implement like review systems, user databases, payment gateways, tons and tons of individual product pages which have to be individually programmed, etc. You really thought it would be a good idea to present an unpaid intern with no previous experience or training, one of the largest and most complicated projects you guys have worked on to date? And then they have the nerve to complain that I am too slow. Also the company has not provided any the data yet, so how can you expect it to be completed? Ridiculous. Now my confidence about my programming skills has been lowered, and I am thinking about switching majors all together (which is not all a bad thing, maybe it's good that I learned I am not super talented at programming. But I still have to think that if they provided adequate training, I would be just fine in terms of my speed and skills. I'm definitely smart enough to do the work, I just don't know how to).

So basically, my last summer break (in my entire life, wow) is totally shot with work, I'm not performing well at my internship, it's unpaid with no chance at employment, and I'm not really learning as much as I could be I would imagine at most other companies that have real training programs.

The only benefits of it are that I am learning some new programming languages and techniques, I can use it on my resume for future internships, and I have some real portfolio (large scale eCommerce websites, so pretty good) to back it up. So it's not all bad, just not as good as I envisioned.

Also, any programmers have advice on where to begin with building a secure review system in ASP.net? That would be unbelievably awesome, if you can help me with that. I don't know where to start.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sefer posted:

First, unless I'm misunderstanding you, you shouldn't be programming product pages individually. You should have a database table of products and have one page that you pass the ID of a product to that will fill in info from the database to create the page for that product. Never do individual static pages when a single dynamic page will do.

I assume that if you're programming in .Net you have a SQL Server database available. You say you want it to be secure, so you'll want a table that holds user info- username, a hash of their password (never store passwords in plain text; use a has algorithm when they create the password, store the hash in your database, and when they log in use the same hash algorithm on the password they enter and compare the hash to the one stored in your database), and their shipping and billing information (since you'll want to use the same account for reviews and for buying products). You'll have the aforementioned table of product info (name, price, shipping cost/dimensions/weight/whatever, path to product images). You'll have a table for the reviews themselves; it will have a field for a user ID (to let you know who made the review) and a product ID (to let you know what product the review was about), in addition to the numeric rating and the text of the review. If you want to do this Amazon style, you'll have essentially 3 pages: one page is the main product page, which pulls info from the product table and will pull the first 3 reviews from the review table that match that product ID. If there are more than 3 reviews, you'd link to a second page, which will have all reviews for that product listed. You'll have a third page for entering in a review, which will write to the review table, taking the ID of the product that you're on and the id of the user you're logged in as. (You'll also need pages for logging in and creating an account, but I'm assuming that's already taken care of by the time you're looking to write a review).

This is kinda high level stuff; for looking up the details of any particular step, Google is very much your friend and the best tool a programmer has. There are a ton of code examples out there, and if you learn nothing else from the internship than how to find those you'll have spent your time well.

Thank you for going into some depth on this problem. I do have a page template which has the capabilities to take in and display (and organize in the file system) data from the database, so i really just need the product data from the company at this point, and to make a spreadsheet which can be fed into this program i can use which organizes all of the spreadsheet in the database properly. However there are still minor things which unfortunately I think i may have to go back and change by hand. Your info about the review database was definitely helpful, you see we have a user database set up inthe content management system, i just need to figure out how to access it and add an additional field for product id and text of the review, and obviously how to leech the data from the table (whatever my sql query would be, which is quite simple in this case and i could just use sql studio). That was a big sanity check, and i'm very glad i have this to refer to. Can't thank you enough for this.

• Locked thread