Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Subjunctivitis posted:

The California Department of Consumer Affairs states that I could (nay, should) ask for my fees to be rewarded to me:

At the hearing, you should ask the judge to award your court costs if you win. Costs are out-of-pocket fees and charges a party pays to file and present a lawsuit. If you're awarded costs, the award is included in the judgment against the losing party. In most cases, costs are awarded to the prevailing (winning) party, but you should still ask the judge for them at the hearing. If neither party is truly a "prevailing party," the judgment might not include awards of either costs or interest. In that situation, both parties may be "winners" — always a goal in small claims court.

Be sure to keep receipts for your filing fees and other out-of-pocket costs. Only some kinds of costs (called "allowable costs") can be recovered from the losing party but others can't. Costs that may be recovered include amounts you have paid for court filing fees; expenses of service of process (including the cost of locating the defendant for service, if reasonable); witness fees (but generally not for expert witnesses); and fees for service of subpoenas (of either witnesses or documents). Since other kinds of out-of-pocket expenses might be awarded at the judge's discretion, bring your receipts to the hearing. However, expenses other than those listed above are not ordinarily awarded.

It's unclear to me, however, if that includes fees incurred for an attorney's preparation of documents...

Go post a summary and a link to this thread in the legal questions thread in ask/tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That is sketchy as heck.

It would be one thing if you were a contract employee who worked and was paid only for hours you were contracted for, but they seem to want you to be a regular employee who just doesn't get paid a bunch of the time?

• Locked thread