Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

red19fire posted:

Just want to reiterate, you guys: everyone is out to screw you so get stuff in writing. Also don't do nice things for anyone, ever.

The continual lesson of the freelancer: half on initiation, half on delivery. Protects both parties from total screwdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

tiananman posted:

ect.

Also consider adding in a contact-me-anytime fee. If you expect me to be on call 24 hours a day and pick up the phone on the 3rd ring no matter what - or if you expect me to answer an email 20 minutes after you send it instead of during the next business day - that's going to cost you. If you want me available on weekends, that's going to cost you.

Took on a "why the hell not" client like this, didn't set guidelines, it ended lamely.

Another thing: If they won't send back the contract, they're bad, full stop. There is no reason why honest business shouldn't be in writing.

• Locked thread