Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

What an rear end in a top hat. Does the judgment include legal fees? So the judge ordered him to pay you, and you have to wait for the judgment paperwork to come in the mail. At what point does he have to actually write you a check? And I thought he couldn't appeal? Or is it the decision only and not the amount, or vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This guy will never admit that he's wrong, as far as he's concerned OP is a disloyal ingrate who took advantage of his generous unpaid internship offer. The clone stamp brush in Photoshop elements is a valuable trade secret! (An actual thing I was told at a mall portrait studio franchise NDA)

Would it be possible to get a gag order included with your eventual favorable verdict? The guy's obviously going to talk poo poo about you to everyone he knows which might close a few doors, if it were me I'd want to get some contempt of court charges tossed at him. I'd bet he's preparing some inflammatory posts on FM, MM or a flickr Pro HDR group discussion right about now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

tiananman posted:

I have another call with this guy today and I'm kind of straddling the line a little bit because I honestly haven't done much work since last week. I figure talking on the phone can't hurt, but we'll see if the check comes. If it's not here by the end of this week, I'm cutting him loose. I have other clients I can do work for who I know will pay me so tying my bandwidth up for what might be a bigger payday isn't ideal.

I'm not quite sure what your work entails, but wouldn't it be easier to just tell them that their work is on the back burner since you're still waiting on a check, or is it an all-or-nothing job? I would let them know that paid-for jobs take precedence and see if that lights a fire, especially if you've sunk some time into it already. If they refuse to pay you until the job is done and in hand, maybe fire them for being unreasonable.

I think I got another ridiculous assistant job offer. 30 minute interview, then 90 minutes of assisting them on an actual engagement shoot, in order to determine if I'm worthy of being paid to assist a wedding photographer. It's literally just moving lights around and changing batteries, why does every job offer have to be staged like a reality show?

E: vv yes, that's what I meant.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 9, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Just want to reiterate, you guys: everyone is out to screw you so get stuff in writing. Also don't do nice things for anyone, ever.

I got an offer to assist a photographer I admire, in NYC. He talked me into bring my own gear and a reduced day rate since he'd be coming from out of town to shoot 3 jobs in a day. No problem I like his work and it'll be good to learn something.

I busted my rear end on the first job, and he says 'oh the other 2 jobs canceled so I won't be able to pay you since this trip barely paid for itself, send me an invoice for $30 that should cover gas and tolls'

$3k in gear and an assistant, for basically free. And he even said "just send me an invoice afterwards, we're both professionals", and said he'd hook me up with a magazine editor contact. He gave me the editors public email from their website.

Now he's not answer phone calls or emails. Every time :suicide:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 28, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

RogueLemming posted:

Well, it sounds like you learned something.

Honestly, that lesson may save/make you more money than anything he could have ever shown you about cameras. Probably a day well spent if it really sunk in.

Not really, he set up his shots exactly how I would have, and he kind of alluded that he was phoning it in because the 'fitness' model wasn't in great shape having just peaked for a contest the week before. The model was paying him $800 for the shoot, and hair/makeup, and a rental fee to the gym.

I did find out how much he charges, and its pretty comically high, so I have a good basis to figure out my own pricing. The lesson was that my time and expertise is valuable, and I am at least as creative and technically proficient as working pros so I should get my act together.

I assisted a major LA photographer in NYC yesterday for the third time on a big shoot with Petra Nemcova. First two shoots were for free, this one he paid me the normal rate. Movin' on up.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread