Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

quote:

The judge was pissed that the photographer stopped payment on his checks and that he didn't pay the remaining invoices, since we had an ongoing fee-for-work relationship. The judge was also pissed at me for up and quitting the training and not "being a man about it" and giving him an ultimatum. She felt like he spent a good amount of his precious time training me, and regardless of his lack of hard evidence, he was owed something for the training. She finished off with saying, as the previous judge did, "Get your contracts and agreements in writing!"

Be a man? What the gently caress does that even mean? No man is exactly the same. No creative man in my opinion got anywhere by following specifically defined rules. That's how people end up in jobs that suck. They got complacent, lazy and stupid to do anything about it.

I haven't been to court for this specifically, but i've been in the creative industries for 10 years. Pretty much if you're young, this is every company's argument - that they could have not trained you up. It's the reason they justify not paying you or really bad wages. In cases like this, I've found they're not going to change- but you have to. Only use places like that as stepping stones to the next job. The best middle finger you can probably give is "bye." In this case, you'll never see this dickhead again.

Take away this as whole thing as experience. Given the chance, someone will shaft you. When I left to work in my first year, I got shafted 3 times- one of which was working for a month not unlike your thing but still pissed me off enough to now try to send paperwork to sign before every job. This way, freeloaders will freak out at the potentially legally binding words on paper and gently caress off without wasting any more of your time right at the start. I'm actually happy when they do this rather than doing any potentially unpaid work.

Nobody ever teaches you how to write a contract, you usually have to see lawyers to draft one and that's expensive. General rule: some money up front before you actually even do anything. These might help you out:

http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/10-critical-points-for-strong-photography-contracts--photo-6235

https://lessaccounting.com/blog/free-photography-contracts/

http://www.slrlounge.com/photography-contract-template

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread