Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Stop dealing with him. All you are going to do is get pissed off and probably do something stupid. He cancelled a check he had written you because he decided not to pay you after the fact. Stop emailing and lawyer up. If a lawyer tells you the amount is to low to deal with I'm sure they'll at least be happy to point you towards small claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Subjunctivitis posted:

what his terms are and what his intentions to pay are.

He wrote you a check for the amount you were owed. He then stopped payment on that check. His "terms" are irrelevant and his intention to not pay is pretty clear.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Subjunctivitis posted:

I'm basically trying to get a better feel for his stance before I start threatening him with potential legal action if I don't need to make those threats.

He's not going to pay you. Why on earth do you think he could possibly have any intention of paying you? You don't need him to "incriminate himself". You did work, he wrote you a check, he cancelled said check.

This is what he's done

1. Cancelled a check that he wrote you just because he decided not to pay you.

2. Gave you the runaround for a few days

3. Cut off communication with you.

You are being a pushover. Don't be a pushover. Go to court, get your money. Hell, its very possible just filing will be enough to make him pay up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Unless there is something really big you are forgetting to tell us, you were employed "at will". So nothing. That's really a question for the legal thread though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Subjunctivitis posted:

Yeah, there's nothing else other than the fact that I was tired of spending all the time and energy doing free work for him and that I wanted to terminate the internship before I really got into the next project. I had just started the next project, and had negligible amount of work done on it (I time-synched the photos from the different cameras and did about 30-50% of the sorting -- no selecting or retouching of the photos -- about 1 hour's worth of work).

I have also linked to this thread from the legal thread.

I meant more along the lines of if you had signed some sort of contract that you hadn't mentioned.

Because this is so blatant that I can't understand how you'd be remotely concerned about anything other than "how tough is it going to be to get my money". I can't see any possible thing he is standing on (totally not a lawyer) and if anything you could sue him for the unpaid "internship" that he admitted wasn't really an internship but you doing free work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Subjunctivitis posted:

I just got a letter from the photographer stating that he has requested a new court date (letter dated Sept 05, but I didn't receive it until now since I've moved and the PO had to forward it to me). The original date is set for this Wednesday, and I'm all ready to go... I can't really say I didn't expect him to file for a postponement.

Since the letter is from him are you sure he actually got it postponed and he isn't just trying to get you to miss the court session?

• Locked thread