Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Subjunctivitis posted:

I feel like if I need to got to small claims, I have more rights and more evidence on my end to demand payment. This also goes as far as witnesses who have been present when I have been doing the work for those invoices. I feel like he would have way more to lose by not paying me, such as his "valuable" time to gather his own evidence, attending court, and more importantly, his professional reputation.

He put a check in your hands; that's an indicator that he acknowledges a debt to you. I think you stand a very good chance at recovering the amount of those checks in court.

Additionally, internships are pretty clearly defined. If he was making money off of your work, then you were not an intern, you were an employee. And it sounds like he is treating you like a contractor. Having recently gone through being hired on as employee #2 at a startup, I've learned that the distinction between contractor and employee has pretty important ramifications with the IRS. If you really wanted to be a dick, you could contact the IRS and let them know that you think you were misclassified as a contractor and he could have to pay backed payroll taxes and whatnot.

In reality, the IRS threat is more of a way of twisting his arm into making the situation right without having to involve the legal system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread