Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hey guys, can I post in this thread?

karl fungus posted:

I'm aware of Roman Catholic dialog with both Protestants and Eastern Orthodox, but is there any interaction at all between the various Protestant denominations and the Orthodox?

My dad is a Lutheran pastor. He told me once that Luther tried to become bros with some Orthodox church, but they basically were all "who the heck is this guy? and why does he keep sending us letters?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's been dialogue between Anglicans and Orthodoxy for at least the last 150/160 years. You can read various Anglican/Orthodox agreed statements here. There's also an organization in England, the Fellowship of St. Alban & Sergius, which promotes Anglican/Orthodox dialogue.

And there are some points of theological alignment. For example, my (Catholic) mom got an Orthodox pamphlet once that touted C.S. Lewis's more 'Orthodox' beliefs as expressed in Mere Christianity, especially about theosis. I also have a book, Participation in God, which traces theosis in historic Anglican theology. Also, apparently the Liturgy of Tikhon of Moscow, one of the modern Western Rites in use, is based in part on the BCP liturgy.

(My mom has a sortof-friend in her SCA group who used to be an Orthodox monk, and I think taught her how to write icons; she once went to a monastery to help him teach it, and brought some pamphlets home. Apparently he's living a semi-hermetic lifestyle now.)

Also, the next US Prayer Book revision is supposed to remove the Filioque, but we don't revise it that often (heck, there are still people who believe we should never have dropped the 1928 version), so we'll see how that shakes out.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 12, 2013

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I know more than a few LCMS pastors that have a fascination with Eastern Orthodoxy and a couple that actually converted. All of them are very liturgical/high church so I think thegloaming has it right at least from the guys I know.

I'm a lasped LCMS Lutheran myself and did go to seminary for two years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Keromaru5 posted:

Also, the next US Prayer Book revision is supposed to remove the Filioque, but we don't revise it that often
I realize this is highly un-liturgical of me, but I stay silent during that one bit of the Nicene Creed, as a token ecumenical gesture.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

In the United States, a lot of ex-Evangelicals have joined the Orthodox Church because they are seeking a stronger weapon in the American culture wars. They know that the Church is conservative, which it is, so they expect that the Church is what Americans mean when they say "conservative," which it isn't. (Rod Dreher is probably the most famous.) I am solidly against this, for several reasons: obviously, because I'm so liberal I'm practically a Communist, but also because they're making the Church more Protestant--some of them have no idea who the saints are, for instance, or they speak disparagingly about what they see as superstition but what we see as necessary, integral parts of our religion.

Moreover, their attempts to drag the Orthodox Churches into American politics for the right has been very controversial and, in my opinion, counterproductive. The ex-Metropolitan of the OCA was recently forced to step down because he got involved in right wing politics (he was in very thick with Rod Dreher and his faction), and involvement in politics of any kind, left or right, as a representative of the church is forbidden to members of the hierarchy. I'm not up on the Internet drama that surrounded this thing (there is no Internet drama like Orthodox internet drama), but apparently the final straw was when he said that he'd love to see the OCA enter into communion with some right-wing splinter Anglican group.
I hate to admit it, but this is a lot of what has put me off from going to the local OCA church. For one, it's the South, so there aren't a lot of Orthodox churches to visit, and it's in a remote part of town. For another, whenever I've gone to its Facebook group, its members struck me as that kind of culture warrior, and come across as needlessly reactionary and triumphalistic.

Not the best way to judge a group, I'll admit, but whenever I visit an Orthodox church again, it'll probably be the Greek one.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 12, 2013

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I realize this is highly un-liturgical of me, but I stay silent during that one bit of the Nicene Creed, as a token ecumenical gesture.
Heh, me too. Though sometimes I forget.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

I hate to admit it, but this is a lot of what has put me off from going to the local OCA church. For one, it's the South, so there aren't a lot of Orthodox churches to visit, and it's in a remote part of town. For another, whenever I've gone to its Facebook group, its members struck me as that kind of culture warrior, and come across as needlessly reactionary and triumphalistic.

Not the best way to judge a group, I'll admit, but whenever I visit an Orthodox church again, it'll probably be the Greek one.
Find a ROCOR church; they're reactionary in a different way. Hope you enjoy hearing about the Masonic conspiracy! :haw:

But seriously, I'm glad that most of my church is either cradle Orthodox, long-term converts, a few ex-Lutherans, and some ex-Catholics like me. Christ am I glad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Find a ROCOR church; they're reactionary in a different way. Hope you enjoy hearing about the Masonic conspiracy! :haw:
Oh yeah, there's a ROCOR church in another remote part of town.

And yeah, the people in the OCA group struck me that way, too.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Keromaru5 posted:

There's been dialogue between Anglicans and Orthodoxy for at least the last 150/160 years. You can read various Anglican/Orthodox agreed statements here. There's also an organization in England, the Fellowship of St. Alban & Sergius, which promotes Anglican/Orthodox dialogue.

And there are some points of theological alignment. For example, my (Catholic) mom got an Orthodox pamphlet once that touted C.S. Lewis's more 'Orthodox' beliefs as expressed in Mere Christianity, especially about theosis. I also have a book, Participation in God, which traces theosis in historic Anglican theology. Also, apparently the Liturgy of Tikhon of Moscow, one of the modern Western Rites in use, is based in part on the BCP liturgy.

We use the Liturgy of St Tikhon at my church. I haven't gone through my copy of the 1928 American BCP word-for-word but off hand I can't think of anything that's different from our Liturgy, except for the Epiclesis & the fact we have Confession.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Cool, the thread's here.

It's not exactly a denomination, but I'd love a paragraph on universalism in the OP. Arsenic Lupin explained it here and it was one the biggest :aaaaa: moments in the RC thread for me, since I didn't even realize my belief system had a name. I'm not sure if you can call universalism a denomination by itself, but it describes my belief system to a T, so you can go ahead and put my name under the paragraph.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fade5 posted:

Cool, the thread's here.

It's not exactly a denomination, but I'd love a paragraph on universalism in the OP. Arsenic Lupin explained it here and it was one the biggest :aaaaa: moments in the RC thread for me, since I didn't even realize my belief system had a name. I'm not sure if you can call universalism a denomination by itself, but it describes my belief system to a T, so you can go ahead and put my name under the paragraph.

It's not so much a denomination as, I don't know, theology I guess? Anyway it'd be confusing to have that in the OP, since it sounds like Unitarian Universalism.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mo Tzu posted:

It's not so much a denomination as, I don't know, theology I guess?
I'm pretty sure it's a bona fide heresy, depending on who you ask.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

It's not so much a denomination as, I don't know, theology I guess? Anyway it'd be confusing to have that in the OP, since it sounds like Unitarian Universalism.

Yeah, it's a heretical belief, not a form of liturgical Christianity. Unitarian Universalists are not even Christian, and that's going by a very liberal definition of the term.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thegloaming posted:

Yeah, it's a heretical belief, not a form of liturgical Christianity.
Again, depends on the sect. I'm pretty sure HEGEL SMOKE A J has mentioned Universalism is compatible with at least some forms of Orthodoxy.

The UUs aren't Christians, no do they claim to be. An individual UU may or may not be; I've known pagan, atheist, and Jewish UUs.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How are Mormons regarded by the other various lineages of Christianity?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

karl fungus posted:

Grand majority, Catholics included, do not consider them Christian. The Catholic Church doesn't recognize Mormon baptism as valid, and pretty much any other church's baptisms are considered just as valid as ones done in the Catholic Church.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

thegloaming posted:

Yeah, it's a heretical belief, not a form of liturgical Christianity. Unitarian Universalists are not even Christian, and that's going by a very liberal definition of the term.

It's only heretical if you're enough of an exclusivist sperglord to actually believe that your definition of "liturgical Christianity" alone is valid.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

karl fungus posted:

When you start adding books that weren't there before, you're going to have issues.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's only heretical if you're enough of an exclusivist sperglord to actually believe that your definition of "liturgical Christianity" alone is valid.

I've never heard of any Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, or Orthodox catechism or declaration of faith that promotes universalism. Those are the groups mentioned in this thread, but I was pretty certain it was the condemned by all mainstream Christian groups.

But thanks for the name-calling and setting a bad precedent for this thread already by page 2! :thumbsup: I was only correcting the poster that "universalism" isn't a Christian denomination.

Anyway, within my exclusivist sperglord mystery cult, there have been writers who have supported universalism and they have not been condemned, so others are right that it's a gray area. Officially, though, I've always learned it to be a heresy.

By the way, heresy is just the term to describe something that isn't apart of official doctrine (literally, an "opinion"), so people shouldn't think we're using it in the same sense that it's used in Warhammer 40K. :orks:

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 12, 2013

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

karl fungus posted:

I'd say a lot of them see Mormonism as heretical at best, non-Christian at worst. Their theology on things like the Trinity & Christology is definitely very different from most of historical Christianity.

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 12, 2013

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Add me to the list, ELCA Lutheran, wife is a pastor so I can use her as a source if there are any questions. And that graph about ELCA membership needs to be extended, those membership declines are peanuts compared to what's happened in the last few years.

Is there any good resources/opinions regarding the second vatican council? I find it fascinating all the bridge-building that it seemed to do. (bridges that were apparently swiftly burned by the next pope)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thegloaming posted:

I've never heard of any Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, or Orthodox catechism or declaration of faith that promotes universalism. Those are the groups mentioned in this thread, but I was pretty certain it was the condemned by all mainstream Christian groups.

You're proposing a binary here: "officially promoted by the church" versus "condemned by the Church". There's a wide, wide area in between, and that area includes "the church doesn't express a dogma, but leaves it up to the conscience of the individual believer." Which is certainly the case for the Episcopal church with regard to universalism -- the church doesn't take a position either for or against.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You're proposing a binary here: "officially promoted by the church" versus "condemned by the Church". There's a wide, wide area in between, and that area includes "the church doesn't express a dogma, but leaves it up to the conscience of the individual believer." Which is certainly the case for the Episcopal church with regard to universalism -- the church doesn't take a position either for or against.
OK, fair enough. I should have expected such from you pesky Episcopalians! ;)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hey, the only thing we commit to is "Would anybody like another martini?"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

fade5 posted:

Cool, the thread's here.

Universalism (as opposed to the UUs) is a belief, not a denomination, just like transubstantiation and sola fide aren't denominations; nor is it unique to the liturgical denominations, so I'm not putting it up. If you're interested in universalism in the Catholic and Orthodox churches, I'd recommend the work of the Catholic theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar as an introduction--he doesn't state that all people are going to be saved, but talks at length about how he believes he is justified in hoping they might be. Among the Orthodox, Origen is our most famous universalist--beliefs called "Origenism" were condemned after his death, but I don't think that was one of them. If you want an unimpeachably respectable source, though, read Clement of Alexandria, who seems to have influenced Origen quite a bit.

thegloaming posted:

Anyway, within my exclusivist sperglord mystery cult, there have been writers who have supported universalism and they have not been condemned, so others are right that it's a gray area. Officially, though, I've always learned it to be a heresy.
"Officially." I like you. You're cute. :kiddo:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 12, 2013

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Like it or not, 'heresy' is a word with an extremely violent history and has come to mean much more than 'divergent opinion'. Also at least among the OO, each church will tend to define its own dogma/canon to a large extent, and it would be a mistake to assume that they are uniform.

Smoking Crow posted:

When you start adding books that weren't there before, you're going to have issues.

Ethiopia has added plenty of books, they just don't get Biblical status. The range of non-Bible canonical texts is often one of the things that marks Orthodoxy from other churches.

I'll talk about Haile Selassie and the rastas when I have more time because it's interesting.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I was talking about how Mormonism has books which almost replace the canon to the point where the canon is almost useless. I'm guessing there's no Ethiopian Book of Mormon equivalent?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 12, 2013

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

I was talking about how Mormonism has books which almost replace the canon to the point where the canon is almost useless. I'm guessing there's no Ethiopian Book of Mormon equivalent?

For sure. I didn't mean to suggest you were wrong, just to expand because different ideas of canonicity are interesting.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Great OP Hegel. Glad to see you make this thread.

You can put me in the Catholic, Roman, Part 1 category. Like I said in my original A/T thread I was an cradle catholic that stopped practicing. After some years as a practical agnostic, I began a spiritual search that included stops in Buddhism and Protestantism and then came back to being Catholic. When I was younger, I chafed against many of the church's teachings, but these days I support them and I think I'm starting to understand why they are there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hegel Smoke, when you get a chance, I want to know more about the crucifixes with extra blood.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
What are some common rites in your respective traditions, and what is the purpose of them in the context of the faith?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

karl fungus posted:

What are some common rites in your respective traditions, and what is the purpose of them in the context of the faith?

A tangential question that I could google but I'm not sure I'd get good context: could someone please define "rite"? I know the word but in my native language it's apparently used slightly differently than in English.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MoraleHazard posted:

Great OP Hegel. Glad to see you make this thread.

You can put me in the Catholic, Roman, Part 1 category. Like I said in my original A/T thread I was an cradle catholic that stopped practicing. After some years as a practical agnostic, I began a spiritual search that included stops in Buddhism and Protestantism and then came back to being Catholic. When I was younger, I chafed against many of the church's teachings, but these days I support them and I think I'm starting to understand why they are there.
Hello again, MoraleHazard. It's good to see you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hegel Smoke, when you get a chance, I want to know more about the crucifixes with extra blood.
Well, the crucifix shows Christ on the cross, right? You can order a tasteful bit of blood, gesturing toward his suffering without really going there, or...the whole shebang, I guess. I grew up in a Hispanic area, and they're very comfortable with that. This is in the church where I grew up, and it's not as much blood as it's possible to get, but to the outside observer it's still "marginally creepy." You can't see it in the photo, but the blood is running down his legs.
http://lange-photography.photoshelter.com/image/I0000Xfl6W4RCLpU

Valiantman posted:

A tangential question that I could google but I'm not sure I'd get good context: could someone please define "rite"? I know the word but in my native language it's apparently used slightly differently than in English.
The English word, by itself with no more context, means "ritual." When you say "Byzantine Rite Catholic" or something though, it means the body of liturgical tradition--not only how a group of people celebrates the liturgy, but also which saints they venerate, what happens on what day, etc.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 12, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

This is in the church where I grew up, and it's not as much blood as it's possible to get, but to the outside observer it's still "marginally creepy." You can't see it in the photo, but the blood is running down his legs.
http://lange-photography.photoshelter.com/image/I0000Xfl6W4RCLpU

Talk about Muscular Christianity.

Are the Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches in communion? My godmother converted so she could recieve Mass (if that's what the GOC says) in Greece, but I think someone upthread implied that they weren't.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

House Louse posted:

Are the Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches in communion? My godmother converted so she could recieve Mass (if that's what the GOC says) in Greece, but I think someone upthread implied that they weren't.
Nope, they're not. The Greek Orthodox are part of the Eastern Orthodox, and the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic Church have been angry at each other since before 1054. Each group thinks the other's sacraments are valid though, so in an emergency they can receive the sacraments of the other group.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

The English word, by itself with no more context, means "ritual." When you say "Byzantine Rite Catholic" or something though, it means the body of liturgical tradition--not only how a group of people celebrates the liturgy, but also which saints they venerate, what happens on what day, etc.

So in the broader sense it's the entire system of customs and rituals and holy days and all that? Are the Rites usually defined by books/manuals or are they more like undefined traditions?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

From what I understand, it went from undefined tradition to being fully canonized. This is why Christmas is on the 25th, and why stuff like St. Bridget's Day in Ireland is close to the Summer Solstice.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Valiantman posted:

So in the broader sense it's the entire system of customs and rituals and holy days and all that?
Exactly.

quote:

Are the Rites usually defined by books/manuals or are they more like undefined traditions?
The specific rituals are defined by books, but what each community thinks is "correct" is upheld by local custom and tradition. In the US, for instance, Irish-American Catholics, Italian-American Catholics, and Hispanic Catholics all have the exact same prayers as far as the books are concerned, but they each have a different "feel" because of their different customs--and that's just differences within a single rite, Roman Catholics. Is it "official" to have a parade on St. Patrick's Day if you're an American in a large city whose ancestors came here from Ireland? No, but it may as well be because the community enforces it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And as someone mentioned upthread, different provinces in the Anglican Communion have their own versions of the Book of Common Prayer, and sometimes different service books. New Zealand has its own. The US has one, which itself includes Rite I--traditional language--and Rite II--modernized language, and more Eucharistic prayers*--plus "Enriching Our Worship," plus parishes that still use the 1928 BCP, plus parishes authorized to develop their own liturgies. England still uses the 1662 version, but also has a set of services in modern English called Common Worship (which I personally think is better-written than the US BCP, but it desperately needs a condensed version. There's a whole volume just for daily prayer!).

So yeah. The ideal is that we're all united by common prayer, but there can be a lot of variety in how that common prayer is carried out.

* This includes the infamous "Star Wars" prayer, though personally I like to think of it as the "Carl Sagan" prayer, and then cringe when I hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Nope, they're not. The Greek Orthodox are part of the Eastern Orthodox, and the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholic Church have been angry at each other since before 1054. Each group thinks the other's sacraments are valid though, so in an emergency they can receive the sacraments of the other group.

Maybe I'm misremembering? Thanks for the quick reply.

• Locked thread