Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Worthleast posted:

In total agreement here.

"He blasphemed the Virgin Mary, and his mouth was turned into a rectum." - The Golden Legend

So basically nothing's changed???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The memes back then would have been the dankest.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Keromaru5 posted:

The memes back then would have been the dankest.

Too early to explore the world. Too late to explore Rome. Just in time to browse saintly memes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cythereal posted:

You liturgicals are weird.

delaying full adult membership into the church until the congregant's balls/ovaries drop is just so out there, i know. having kids go to class and take tests, instead of having them say a few words with the pastor before they get the full-dunk.....wow, super wacky. and teaching the kids with a little book that conveniently lays out all our beliefs???? totally :vince: amirite

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

delaying full adult membership into the church until the congregant's balls/ovaries drop is just so out there, i know. having kids go to class and take tests, instead of having them say a few words with the pastor before they get the full-dunk.....wow, super wacky. and teaching the kids with a little book that conveniently lays out all our beliefs???? totally :vince: amirite

I missed your shitposting.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Okay. I hang out with a bunch of seminary/PhD educated Episcopalians (I am at the low and of this spectrum). Tonight at our regular get together there was another gentleman, an old classmate of a friend, who believes that Adam and Eve were real historical people. How do I disavow him of this belief, and get him to... understand truth as it is expressed in both science and theology. I am mystified by this sort of biblicism even though it is what I was raised with. That took decades of subtle fiendish temptation to overcome. I mean, I want to be understanding, but I don't know how to talk to someone who rejects every serious breakthrough since, who, Augustine?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Next Q: has anyone had success setting up a prayer space in their home? I've had some difficulty sticking to daily morning prayer. I know that the difficulty is entirely mine, but, if I can create a space that lends itself to the discipline, I might have more luck taming my will. My inclination is to build some sort of prayer kneeler and add some icons, but I think that is trusting in objects too much.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

WerrWaaa posted:

Okay. I hang out with a bunch of seminary/PhD educated Episcopalians (I am at the low and of this spectrum). Tonight at our regular get together there was another gentleman, an old classmate of a friend, who believes that Adam and Eve were real historical people. How do I disavow him of this belief, and get him to... understand truth as it is expressed in both science and theology. I am mystified by this sort of biblicism even though it is what I was raised with. That took decades of subtle fiendish temptation to overcome. I mean, I want to be understanding, but I don't know how to talk to someone who rejects every serious breakthrough since, who, Augustine?

St. Augustine:

quote:

Often, a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances, … and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.

The shame is not so much that an ignorant person is laughed at, but rather that people outside the faith believe that we hold such opinions, and thus our teachings are rejected as ignorant and unlearned. If they find a Christian mistaken in a subject that they know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions as based on our teachings, how are they going to believe these teachings in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think these teachings are filled with fallacies about facts which they have learnt from experience and reason.

Reckless and presumptuous expounders of Scripture bring about much harm when they are caught in their mischievous false opinions by those not bound by our sacred texts. And even more so when they then try to defend their rash and obviously untrue statements by quoting a shower of words from Scripture and even recite from memory passages which they think will support their case ‘without understanding either what they are saying or what they assert with such assurance.’

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WerrWaaa posted:

Next Q: has anyone had success setting up a prayer space in their home? I've had some difficulty sticking to daily morning prayer. I know that the difficulty is entirely mine, but, if I can create a space that lends itself to the discipline, I might have more luck taming my will. My inclination is to build some sort of prayer kneeler and add some icons, but I think that is trusting in objects too much.
I found an interesting-looking chest and set that on top of a low dresser, and there are tons of icons nailed to the wall above it. And if you think you can't use objects to get closer to God, or to manifest the energy of God in your life, you should probably turn in your liturgical-christianity card--God's power is in objects, that's why holy things are holy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This thread is getting a new edition today make your peace

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

This thread is getting a new edition today make your peace
i said you can make a new thread but when the page number had something important to do with the history of the church, what did u pick

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAL posted:

i said you can make a new thread but when the page number had something important to do with the history of the church, what did u pick

Chalcedon, 451

I was tired of waiting

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

Chalcedon, 451

I was tired of waiting

well when you make the new one i'll close this and ask a mod to goldmine it even though it's just at 4

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Smoking Crow posted:

Chalcedon, 451

I was tired of waiting

The Canons of Chalcedon posted:

Following in every way the decrees of the holy fathers and recognising the canon which has recently been read out—the canon of the 150 most devout bishops who assembled in the time of the great Theodosius of pious memory, then emperor, in imperial Constantinople, new Rome — we issue the same decree and resolution concerning the prerogatives of the most holy church of the same Constantinople, new Rome. The fathers rightly accorded prerogatives to the see of older Rome, since that is an imperial city; and moved by the same purpose the 150 most devout bishops apportioned equal prerogatives to the most holy see of new Rome, reasonably judging that the city which is honoured by the imperial power and senate and enjoying privileges equalling older imperial Rome, should also be elevated to her level in ecclesiastical affairs and take second place after her. The metropolitans of the dioceses of Pontus, Asia and Thrace, but only these, as well as the bishops of these dioceses who work among non-Greeks, are to be ordained by the aforesaid most holy see of the most holy church in Constantinople. That is, each metropolitan of the aforesaid dioceses along with the bishops of the province ordain the bishops of the province, as has been declared in the divine canons; but the metropolitans of the aforesaid dioceses, as has been said, are to be ordained by the archbishop of Constantinople, once agreement has been reached by vote in the usual way and has been reported to him..

But the eminence of the Holy See comes from it being established by St Peter, first amongst the apostles and not because Rome was/is the Imperial capital??? Hmm, very problematic... But Can. 15 speaks in clear terms of ordained deaconesses, so that's cool :cool:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Requescat in pitta.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Post faster

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GAL posted:

Do we betray our traditional thread so lightly? I find this talk of reform suspect.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Okay!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSJ7LqZLYQ

Historical recreation of a c. 1450 Mass by a Swedish priest

Also have a terrible and error-laden listicle about "lost traditions of the Catholic Church"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Do we have anyone who can perform the rites for this thread?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

How is it even possible to get something wrong in each and every item on the list?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Paramemetic posted:

Me.

Gimme a second.

*ehem*

Apage!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

You mean those rites?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Paramemetic posted:

Well, we need the assistance of a mod, but yes, the rites can be performed. A mod bans Smoking Crow, the rest of us pronounce him anathema and foreswear his dangerous talk of innovation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
translatio imperii, the new thread will be exactly the same as the old one

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GAL posted:

I'm going to become a sedeOPecist.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

WerrWaaa posted:

Physical space allows for spiritual space. Back when I got sober and daily prayers were straight up necessary to save my life, but I lived in a pigsty, I simply threw everything away from the corner of a room, and placed a lambskin right next to the bed, for ease of access when I awoke.

That skin has served me ever since, though now I plan to set aside more space, so I can do yoga and have my altar in the same area.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The nature of all threads is impermanence and it's about time you Christians learned that IMO

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

almost there

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

Sic transit gloria mundi.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cythereal posted:

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Gloria Nuncia et Dicendum et Shitpostus Sanctum. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in sæcula sæculorum.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
stay safe holy ghost

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Amen.

7 more posts to go, if I'm not mistaken. Uh, lemme see...

Cardinal Innitzer, Archbishop of Vienna (reg. 1932-1955)

Patriarch Bartholomew of Contantinople

A Lutheran pastor wearing the 'Hamburg gown' (1905)

The Lutheran attire is ok I guess, but it could use more colour and waay more bling

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

I'll get in some syncretic christian love, then!

:

pictured: A christian, probably

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tias posted:

I'll get in some syncretic christian love, then!

:

pictured: A christian, probably

Would certainly fit right in with the early French and Spanish Christians as long as he held his axe arm above the water when he was getting baptized!

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

saint sebastian is the best retroactively gay saint

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Goodbye, old thread. :angel:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He looks like he's shrugging, like "arrow in the chest, what can you do?"

Truly a relatable gay Saint. Gaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's okay, the old thread will still be really present in the webhost.

• Locked thread