Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I've caught up on like... the last forty pages or so of this thread because of HEY GAL mentioning this thread in the Milhist one, so I figured it had to be good. And lo and behold, it was! Very interesting stuff, even though I'm personally not Christian.

Speaking of, I actually live in one of the Catholic areas of the US (Louisiana) and occasionally discuss church stuff with my family, good ole Cajuns. But I was raised Protestant, went to a Fundamentalist Protestant school, that sorta thing. It turns out that my parents were born Papists but later just went to Evangelical Protestantism. When I asked why, apparently they had a laundry list of complaints, like "worshiping Mary" and such. That didn't even seem right at the time, when I knew relatively little about Catholicism/non-Protestant Christianity, of course. Since that conversation like half a year ago, I've learned a lotta stuff about Catholicism and Orthodoxy that's just sorta cemented the thought that I would probably convert to Catholicism if I was still inclined to Christianity. But y'all seem to talk to that sorta Protestant a lot, so next time that that topic comes up, do y'all have anything that I should read/anything I should say to learn more/dis-spell that line of thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

more casualties of bad catholic education as children, i bet they were easy pickings for evangelization by protestants

I think this is how it went, yeah. If they're anything like me, which I imagine they are, they just likely accepted what they heard at Mass without really questioning further. Then when they heard some Evangelical saying things about sola scriptora or Mary-worship or what have you, they realized they didn't understand what they were hearing and went "Yeah, this is dumb." I mean, that's kinda how I ended up leaving the church, and I only started to try and understand things later on when I got a notion of critical thinking from talking/debates with religious friends later on in life.

Man, with this thread especially, I read more Scripture and stuff about church history than I did when I was involved with it! Going to an Evangelical Protestant school was odd. Thank y'all again for the fascinating read, though.

• Locked thread