Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Cawd Rud posted:

:rolleyes: Here, just for you: http://i.imgur.com/17hWKFD.gif

I think iOS 7.0's keyboard was just fine, not sure why they started messing with it in 7.1.
The problem isn't really the jarring nature of it switching, it's simply the fact that 85% of the time the keyboard will be lowercase and it looks like poop when it's like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I'm having an infuriating issue with FaceTime.

All of these devices have the latest iOS/OSX updates:

- iPhone 5 (unlocked, currently being used on Beeline in Russia)
- Retina iPad mini (unlocked, currently being used on MegaFon in Russia)
- MacBook Air (Summer 2012 model - being used on WiFi or tethering to iDevices)

When I first got to Russia at the beginning of April, FaceTime worked perfectly with the same setups. Now, it doesn't work at all. On my iPhone, I can log into it with my Apple ID, but it doesn't actually ever connect when "calling" the person I want to talk to. On my iPad, it doesn't even let me sign in with my Apple ID - "An error occured during activation. Try again." My laptop has the same result as the iPad.

What the gently caress is going on here? I read about a problem with certificates or something that impacted devices that haven't been updated - not the case here, everything is fully updated. I thought the problem might be some device profiles that my company's Good for Enterprise (more like Bad am i rite) software installed, but my laptop doesn't have that and it didn't help when I removed them on my iOS devices. I have restarted plenty of times, reset my network settings, and have been using Skype in the meantime. I am at my wit's end, and I'm scared that I'm going to lose iMessage (since it works in a similar way to FaceTime). At that point I'd be completely cut off from my friends and family :(

Any suggestions?

edit: I've even tried connecting through a US-based VPN...
edit2: What's weird is that the timing that I lost FaceTime connectivity was around the time of this: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/ios-6-facetime-fix/ - but this doesn't apply to me...
edit3: ...and I think I fixed it. I had to click the Apple ID that I was trying to log in with and check the region to Russia. Doesn't explain why it was working for the first 2 weeks though...

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 25, 2014

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I've got an iPad Mini retina that will no longer charge after the 7.1.1 update. I'm using an Apple cable, but the error I'm given is that the cable is not Apple certified and will not charge.

I suspect it's a cable, battery or iOS issue, but I'm traveling, so I don't have another cable on hand right now to test it with. Does anyone have any ideas, though? The closest Apple Store is hours away right now, but I suspect it may be my only option.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Triglav posted:

I've got an iPad Mini retina that will no longer charge after the 7.1.1 update. I'm using an Apple cable, but the error I'm given is that the cable is not Apple certified and will not charge.

I suspect it's a cable, battery or iOS issue, but I'm traveling, so I don't have another cable on hand right now to test it with. Does anyone have any ideas, though? The closest Apple Store is hours away right now, but I suspect it may be my only option.

Do you have another iDevice you can test with that cable?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Nothing on a lightning cable, unfortunately :(

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Triglav posted:

Nothing on a lightning cable, unfortunately :(
Unless the cable is obviously damaged, when I've had this issue I've just cleaned the port out with a tooth pick, even not in my pocket my Air picks up lint and detritus that makes a clean connection problematic.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Cleaning the port did nothing and the cable looks fine to me: http://imgur.com/fxBd7UO

I'm trying to source a lightning cable, but if that doesn't work, maybe I can buy one in the nearby Wal-Mart. This issue started immediately after I updated iOS, so I hope the update didn't fry something and it's just playing a prank on me :(

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Triglav posted:

Cleaning the port did nothing and the cable looks fine to me: http://imgur.com/fxBd7UO

I'm trying to source a lightning cable, but if that doesn't work, maybe I can buy one in the nearby Wal-Mart. This issue started immediately after I updated iOS, so I hope the update didn't fry something and it's just playing a prank on me :(

I had a lightning cable that looked fine but suddenly stopped charging either of my devices. I've heard it's somewhat of a Thing. You're going to want to try another cable.

Edit: Sorry, that doesn't help your immediate issue of not having another cord, but to my mind it's the most likely culprit. Might be worth just going to Target and getting a new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's still under warranty. If there's an Apple Store near you, they should just give you a replacement since it sounds like it's an easily reproducible problem. (Otherwise buy one for the immediate future and call Applecare.)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Interestingly, the iPad does seem to actually charge on my current lightning cable — it just says it won't — but I'll still be bringing it into the Apple Store when able.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

So I was looking at this article on buzzfeed http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/your-iphone-knows-exactly-where-youve-been-and-this-is-how-t

When I go to my location services/frequent locations (they have it slightly wrong in the article) I don't have a history listing. Any ideas why?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

njbeachbum posted:

So I was looking at this article on buzzfeed http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/your-iphone-knows-exactly-where-youve-been-and-this-is-how-t

When I go to my location services/frequent locations (they have it slightly wrong in the article) I don't have a history listing. Any ideas why?

It's missing a step. Under "system services" click "frequent locations". You can see it in their history screenshot.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

FCKGW posted:

It's missing a step. Under "system services" click "frequent locations". You can see it in their history screenshot.

Right. When I click on frequent locations my history isn't there.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

njbeachbum posted:

Right. When I click on frequent locations my history isn't there.

Leave your house once in a while?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a reliable way to figure out where all my space is disappearing to on my iPad? The other day I got the "Storage nearly full" dialog so deleted a bunch of stuff, freeing up a gig of space. Since then I've installed nothing, I've got Photostream turned off, don't use iTunes Match/Spotify on it (which may eat it up with caches) and it's showing up as full again. When I connect to iTunes it shows 3.3gb of "Other" space used, but PhoneClean doesn't find anything that's removable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iMessage? Go in the usage part of the settings and it will show you how much space each app is actually using.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Bung Harmer posted:

iMessage? Go in the usage part of the settings and it will show you how much space each app is actually using.

Nope, iMessage was turned off too. That's the thing, it'd been declining recently and I'd kept an eye on the usage tab - nothing was actually growing but all my space was disappearing. Tonight I freed up another 700mb and it was gone within 20 minutes, without using the iPad at all in that time. I've given up and restored it, coming out the other side with 4.8gb free.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there any alternative for people whose telcos don't offer visual voicemail - that doesn't involve jailbreaking?

So tired of this dumb-rear end "interface". :(

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ufarn posted:

Is there any alternative for people whose telcos don't offer visual voicemail - that doesn't involve jailbreaking?

Google voice

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

benisntfunny posted:

Google voice

Ugh, that App (and icon) though...

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bobfather posted:

There's alternative apps for the voicemail part that aren't bad.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Didn't google kill off third party access to voice this week though? Supposedly, it will be further baked into hangouts but think some functions are still missing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

serebralassazin posted:

Didn't google kill off third party access to voice this week though? Supposedly, it will be further baked into hangouts but think some functions are still missing.

Third party XMPP access is no longer supported as of the 15th but they haven't shut down any servers yet, it's just rolling along like a ghost ship.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
If you restore a an iPhone backup, and you are downloading a million pictures over slow wifi, then you leave during that to go to a faster wifi, do the pics continue where you left off, or are they lost until another restore? IPhone 5s.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It should continue restoring from backup until everything is there. It will stop downloading if you aren't on wifi and start up again when you are.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

bobfather posted:

I use Libon, they don't seem to have charged me for it and it works just fine. The speech to text is hilarious.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Deep Winter posted:

If you restore a an iPhone backup, and you are downloading a million pictures over slow wifi, then you leave during that to go to a faster wifi, do the pics continue where you left off, or are they lost until another restore? IPhone 5s.

Like 90% of the time it will resume, but occasionally it will stop installing apps/downloading photos and never resume. Worst case you just restore again and give yourself some time to leave your phone alone.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ufarn posted:

There are providers that don't do that anymore?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TinTower posted:

All of them bar O2 in the UK

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

All of them bar O2 in the UK

EE support VV as well.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

TinTower posted:

It's very common for carriers in USA and Canada to offer it but only 2/4 providers in Australia offer it . Our biggest carrier is Telstra but they charge you extra for Visual Voicemail (at least the last time I spoke to them for my phone).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ufarn posted:

Hullomail.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

caboodle posted:

EE support VV as well.
Do they? I'm on EE and pressing the voicemail button just dials in to regular "keypad" voicemail.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do they? I'm on EE and pressing the voicemail button just dials in to regular "keypad" voicemail.

I'm on a EE contract & use it all the time.

http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/setting-up-voicemail/visual-voicemail

That link should help.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

caboodle posted:

I'm on a EE contract & use it all the time.

http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/setting-up-voicemail/visual-voicemail

That link should help.
Cheers! Turns out I'm still technically on Orange even though the merger was well over 6 or 7 months ago, so I have to pay an extra £1 a month for VV - screw that!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

FCKGW posted:

Third party XMPP access is no longer supported as of the 15th but they haven't shut down any servers yet, it's just rolling along like a ghost ship.

Are there any alternatives to the Google Voice app when it finally does shut down forever? I don't have texting as part of my service plan. Would adding a texting plan remove me from my grandfathered unlimited data and put me into the tiered data plans? (Verizon, iPhone 5) I fully understand how shamefully goony and spergy these questions are. But if anything the only reason I haven't changed from using GV is there's never really been a need to find something different.

I'm fine with adding texting to my service plan, but if anyone knows an alternative to GV, that's a plus.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I keep hearing conflicting reports about battery life and 7.1.1. Does it improve or get worse? Wondering if I should stick with the 7.1 that's currently on my iPad mini retina.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ChocNitty posted:

I keep hearing conflicting reports about battery life and 7.1.1. Does it improve or get worse? Wondering if I should stick with the 7.1 that's currently on my iPad mini retina.

How about I've noticed no difference? On either my iPhone 5 or my retina mini.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My iPhone 5 drains like a motherfucker sometimes now. No idea how to replicate it but yesterday I was down to 50% after four hours of doing just about nothing. It's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I keep hearing conflicting reports about battery life and 7.1.1.
Probably because it didn't change battery life at all.

Just update.

• Locked thread