Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Yodzilla posted:

My iPhone 5 drains like a motherfucker sometimes now. No idea how to replicate it but yesterday I was down to 50% after four hours of doing just about nothing. It's bizarre.

Stop playing Threes so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

My iPhone 5 drains like a motherfucker sometimes now. No idea how to replicate it but yesterday I was down to 50% after four hours of doing just about nothing. It's bizarre.
Launch phone? I keep hearing more and more early iPhone 5 adopters are having their batteries go south.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

LmaoTheKid posted:

Stop playing Threes so much.

Haha no gaming for me when that happened but yeah goddamn Threes is a ridiculous battery hog.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Launch phone? I keep hearing more and more early iPhone 5 adopters are having their batteries go south.

Yep. I guess it'll be two years old this fall!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had a similar problem (launch iPhone 5 - albeit twice replaced - lost battery fast, got hot, restore didn't help) and the tech at the fruit stand plugged it into iTunes and held Home & Sleep, claiming that'd completely wipe the phone and possibly help with the battery drain (there were a lot of Springboard crashes in the diagnostics log, and he couldn't find any overheating or battery problems). So far it's at least not getting hot to the touch anymore. I restored from iCloud though he told me to set it up as a new phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yes he did the correct stuff. Sometimes an app or some other strange setting can cause problems. A way to isolate a problem as hardware or software is to wipe and reinstall the OS but NOT restore any sort of backup. If you still have problems, it's hardware. If no problems, it's some weird software thing.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Haha no gaming for me when that happened but yeah goddamn Threes is a ridiculous battery hog.

Yep. I guess it'll be two years old this fall!

After 1 year your battery should be 80 percent of its original charge. As this is the 2nd year then your phone (like mine) will only get 80 percent of the 80 percent.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is this something affecting the 5S, too? I hate how subjective battery stuff is, but while I used to go two days without much worry, all I did was listen to 30m worth of a podcast this morning and maybe check the Facebook app twice and I am down to 88%.

That said, I did just change jobs from a place that had zero cell coverage whatsoever to being back in a place that does. I am not sure how that affects it.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AlternateAccount posted:

Is this something affecting the 5S, too? I hate how subjective battery stuff is, but while I used to go two days without much worry, all I did was listen to 30m worth of a podcast this morning and maybe check the Facebook app twice and I am down to 88%.

That said, I did just change jobs from a place that had zero cell coverage whatsoever to being back in a place that does. I am not sure how that affects it.

Because of the way modern cell phones charge when plugged in, always assume you're at 90% of maximum when you unplug with a full charge.

It can damage the battery if it continues to charge when full, so the phone will stop charging when at 100% and let the battery drain until 90%, then start charging again. However, your indicator will always say 100% once it hits that mark, and once unplugged it will just show the indicator quickly drain the false charge until it hits the real number. Because of this, you can't draw any meaningful conclusions about the capacity of your battery by how fast the first 10% discharges.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Promoted Pawn posted:

Because of the way modern cell phones charge when plugged in, always assume you're at 90% of maximum when you unplug with a full charge.

It can damage the battery if it continues to charge when full, so the phone will stop charging when at 100% and let the battery drain until 90%, then start charging again. However, your indicator will always say 100% once it hits that mark, and once unplugged it will just show the indicator quickly drain the false charge until it hits the real number. Because of this, you can't draw any meaningful conclusions about the capacity of your battery by how fast the first 10% discharges.

Wait what? I thought that was true of old cellphones, not modern cellphones.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Wait what? I thought that was true of old cellphones, not modern cellphones.

No. Old devices would get damaged if left charging, which is why modern phones do what he described. I'm not sure if they actually drop as low as 90%, but the general idea is accurate.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Turn of battery % and just use your phone normally you freaking weirdos.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

This forever. Stop battery :spergin:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Whirlwind Jones posted:

How exactly does having a visual indicator of battery percentage preclude normal phone usage?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

jivjov posted:

How exactly does having a visual indicator of battery percentage preclude normal phone usage?

I would like to know this also... But I have turned it off for a while myself. It comes up often enough that there must be something to it, however placebic.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jivjov posted:

Because it's often inaccurate and who gives a poo poo?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LmaoTheKid posted:

Because it's often inaccurate and who gives a poo poo?

Cite your source on the inaccuracy thing, please? (Other than the 'first 10-ish%' part, that's pretty well documented). And I give a poo poo because if I'm running down to 30%-40% battery too early in the day, before I'll have a chance to get home and charge it, I know I need to make a conscious effort to not dick around on the Awful app or whatever quite as much because I'd like to have my phone available for making calls or GPSing later.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jivjov posted:

Cite your source on the inaccuracy thing, please? (Other than the 'first 10-ish%' part, that's pretty well documented). And I give a poo poo because if I'm running down to 30%-40% battery too early in the day, before I'll have a chance to get home and charge it, I know I need to make a conscious effort to not dick around on the Awful app or whatever quite as much because I'd like to have my phone available for making calls or GPSing later.

Back when I used it it would get to 5% and just stay there for a while until the phone up and died.

I turned it off and now I don't give a poo poo. No one should outside of the visual battery meter.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LmaoTheKid posted:

No one should outside of the visual battery meter.

You're picking a really weird thing to get elitist and slightly hostile about.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jivjov posted:

You're picking a really weird thing to get elitist and slightly hostile about.

I don't mean to come off that way. But it is how it is. Anecdotal or not just turn the thing off and live a happier life :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Having a number displayed up there all of the time makes people think too hard about what their phone may or may not be doing, resulting in :spergin:, panic, and useless internet posts if that number seems to change faster than usual (cf. posts above).

Turn off the battery percent display and you will be happier, you will have more free time, and the world will be a better place for everyone.

edit: Also, turning the screen on every few minutes to check that number is really what is affecting battery life.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 23, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

It's wildly inaccurate and also causes people to obsess about the number displayed which generally results in greater than normal phone usage as well as confirmation bias with regards to "battery draining faster".

Turn off the % indicator. Use your phone normally. If your phone doesn't appear to be holding a charge as long as it once did, try a clean restore, and if that doesn't work take it into an Apple store for a battery replacement.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess I'm the magical guy who isn't plagued by those problems. I keep the % displayed at all times, but I only really look at it when I'm already using the phone or if I actually need to know for some reason (I.e. I'm gonna be home for an hour, do I need to plug my phone in or do I have enough juice to last me til that night). I don't obsess about it, I just like to know.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I guess I'm the magical guy who isn't plagued by those problems. I keep the % displayed at all times, but I only really look at it when I'm already using the phone or if I actually need to know for some reason (I.e. I'm gonna be home for an hour, do I need to plug my phone in or do I have enough juice to last me til that night). I don't obsess about it, I just like to know.

Congratulations on your obsession.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I look at my battery percentage and have its habits memorized, but I can quit any time I want.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I can't decide who is sperging more. The people who obsess about the battery percentage, or the people who won't shut up about turning the percentage off.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I just got a phone with siri. (Which is great. It's like having Jarvis in my motorcycle helmet.)

One thing I don't like, when I ask my phone to take me somewhere. It will stay locked. But the lock screen will stay lit with the route on it. Draining the battery unnecessarily in my pocket. Is there anything I can do about this?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CygnusTM posted:

I can't decide who is sperging more. The people who obsess about the battery percentage, or the people who won't shut up about turning the percentage off.

At least we're not arguing about which pocket you keep your phone in.

This is what happens when there's no Apple news for 6 months.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

I don't mean to come off that way. But it is how it is. Anecdotal or not just turn the thing off and live a happier life :)

no thanks I'll leave mine on :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Congratulations on your life of misery and lying awake at night wondering why your phone burned 7% more battery than usual yesterday.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Honestly if I could turn off the battery bar part and just have the percentage I would. Sorry if that makes you all go :psypop:

#sorrynotsorry

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Honestly if I could turn off the battery bar part and just have the percentage I would. Sorry if that makes you all go :psypop:

#sorrynotsorry

This is legit one of the reasons I miss my jailbreak when I went to 7.1

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's possible to have percentage displayed yet not stress over it. Fact.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's possible to have percentage displayed yet not stress over it. Fact.

But if you have your battery percentage displayed, you will surely stress over it! Just turn it off and use your phone like a normal person! Showing a number on the screen of your phone will RUIN YOUR PHONE AND LIFE. If you keep your battery indicator on, you will literally die from stress. Please do not post in this thread until, like us, you have turned off your battery percentage indicator.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can't you all just shut the gently caress up about stupid things?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Last Chance posted:

WWDC will be here soon to distract us.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Just get an Anker Astro Mini. It's cheap, fits in any pocket, and you won't have to worry about your battery dying on you. I actually welcome my battery dying so I have a chance to use it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Last Chance posted:

Like what, the Galaxy Gear 2?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

I just got a phone with siri. (Which is great. It's like having Jarvis in my motorcycle helmet.)

One thing I don't like, when I ask my phone to take me somewhere. It will stay locked. But the lock screen will stay lit with the route on it. Draining the battery unnecessarily in my pocket. Is there anything I can do about this?

No responses means there's no solution for this right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ziploc posted:

No responses means there's no solution for this right?
If you're using turn-by-turn navigation, then yes, the screen will turn on occasionally when the phone's locked. It won't stay on permanently-- just when you're approaching a turn in the next mile or so.

If you have a stretch of ten miles or so without a turn, the screen will turn off until the next navigation item comes up.

I think you could use something like Google Maps instead if you wanted that feature to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Last Chance posted:

If you're using turn-by-turn navigation, then yes, the screen will turn on occasionally when the phone's locked. It won't stay on permanently-- just when you're approaching a turn in the next mile or so.

If you have a stretch of ten miles or so without a turn, the screen will turn off until the next navigation item comes up.

I think you could use something like Google Maps instead if you wanted that feature to go away.

I'd have to take my phone out of my pocket to do that. Slightly awkward on a motorcycle.

I'm glad that the screen goes off between turns. So thanks for that information. I'll fiddle with it more in the car to learn it's behavior.

Siri makes motorcycling for hours much easier now that I can keep on top of notifications from work/fam without pulling over on occasion.

• Locked thread