Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The point is that if events are predetermined, then there is no concept of free will in that universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The fact that Simurgh's power works at all means that all free will is predetermined, which means it isn't really free will.

This is one of the stupidest things to take from the narrative, but that's kind of my problem with Worm.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Is "free will doesn't really exist" that controversial of a stance?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To try to move this away from the most interminable philospohical argument in recorded history Im just wrapping up arc 6 of twig and holy poo poo is the Duke terrifying. Just a superhuman royal with no fucks to give about anyone else, nobody to tell him no

I guess I never thought about what the broader society was like, with the focus on the lambs and their missions, but goddamn

Also poor Jamie. Poor Gordon.

E. I WROTE THAT BEFORE THE END OF 6.13 WHAT THE gently caress WILDBOW WHT YOU GITTA DO THIS

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 15, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How old are the Lambs supposed to be? I just got to the start of arc 8 and I'm having a hell of a time pinning it down

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How old are the Lambs supposed to be? I just got to the start of arc 8 and I'm having a hell of a time pinning it down

There's usually something like half a year to a year between arcs so that's no surprise.

Besides 'age' becomes a bit fussy when you are talking about biological experiments.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Namarrgon posted:

There's usually something like half a year to a year between arcs so that's no surprise.

Besides 'age' becomes a bit fussy when you are talking about biological experiments.

At the start of 8 Lillian mentions being fifteen, so that at least gives me a physical age to pin to the Lambs for now

Also gently caress this Lillian and Sy poo poo Sy/Mary OTP

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

To try to move this away from the most interminable philospohical argument in recorded history Im just wrapping up arc 6 of twig and holy poo poo is the Duke terrifying. Just a superhuman royal with no fucks to give about anyone else, nobody to tell him no

I guess I never thought about what the broader society was like, with the focus on the lambs and their missions, but goddamn

Also poor Jamie. Poor Gordon.

E. I WROTE THAT BEFORE THE END OF 6.13 WHAT THE gently caress WILDBOW WHT YOU GITTA DO THIS

:allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Arc 7 is a motherfucker too

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Arc 7 is a motherfucker too

Twig is goddamn amazing and Wildbow's best work to date by far, and I'm in the party that loved Worm both for Taylor's steady descent and for the This Is How People Get Involved With Gangs Allegory.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Twig is goddamn amazing and Wildbow's best work to date by far, and I'm in the party that loved Worm both for Taylor's steady descent and for the This Is How People Get Involved With Gangs Allegory.

For real

The back quarter or so of 7 with the arrival of Jamie 2.0 and Ashton was actually loving crushing, watching Sy deal with the first thing in there

And the Interlude from all the different POVs was fantastic

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also gently caress this Lillian and Sy poo poo Sy/Mary OTP

I actually really liked the way the whole Sy/Mary thing went. It's a good example of how Sy is capable of genuinely caring for and doing what's best for those he cares about. He made a conscious decision to effectively loosen her emotional "leash" to him and get her involved with other people (mainly Gordon). Up until that point. Sy was pretty much Mary's only serious social connection, and Sy rightfully realized that wasn't healthy for her. His actions definitely end up being better for her in the end.

I like Lillian and Sy because they both do and don't work together. It's easy to understand why they'd be attracted to each other, but there are also some fundamental conflicts in their perspectives*. I think it's a good thing for Sy to have a deep connection to a normal/non-experiment human, and it's also pretty easy for me to understand why Lillian is interested in Sy (he can be really loving charming if he wants to be). Also Lillian enjoys being teased and Sy is pretty big on teasing, haha.

* This might be probably is a spoiler for beyond where BENGHAZI 2 is right now: Sy ends up coming to the conclusion that the Academy causes more harm than good (both for himself and for society as a whole) and commits to opposing it. It takes him a while to arrive at this conclusion, but it's one Lillian definitely doesn't agree with. Lillian is pretty firmly committed to trying to change the Academy from the inside and is unlikely to change her mind. The thing that really convinces Sy that "change from within" is impossible is the way the Academy conspires to gently caress over Lillian, who he sees as the only possible route for a future "good Academy."

vvv. I can't remember which arcs the stuff above happened in, so I tried to compromise by just saying "pretty sure this one is past where you are" for the last one (the earlier ones shouldn't be a spoiler for where you are).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 23, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Polite request please tag your spoilers for Twig with at least an arc number

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For real

The back quarter or so of 7 with the arrival of Jamie 2.0 and Ashton was actually loving crushing, watching Sy deal with the first thing in there

And the Interlude from all the different POVs was fantastic

Twig is absolutely heartbreaking at times.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Shortest Path posted:

The fact that Simurgh's power works at all means that all free will is predetermined, which means it isn't really free will.

This is one of the stupidest things to take from the narrative, but that's kind of my problem with Worm.

This always seemed like a specious argument. I can observe you making a choice. Like, I can watch you make your choice to order a cheese pizza instead of a broccoli alfredo one. This doesn't mean that you couldn't make that choice, because to argue that would be stupid. Likewise, I can review my surveillance tapes of your house and watch you make a choice you made last week. If I can watch you make a choice NEXT week, there's still no problem. You stared at, for example, the cookies in the supermarket, and picked out the ones with melted Heath bars in them, and the fact that I watched you do it doesn't change, whether it's from the past, present, or future

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
no no no no no we are not doing this argument shut the gently caress up

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Then on a different note: Is there any chance the OP can be updated with some good non-Wildbow web serials? I like talking about Worm as much as the next guy, but it'd be nice to not have to trawl the whole thread for recommendations.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
OP last posted in 2013, holy crap thread old.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

So is Twig done? I usually wait till after a whole arc to start reading and it hasn't updated in a while.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nope, still going. Still on the same schedule. Maybe you need to refresh?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Oh I see now, the index is being weird; it always puts 20.x on the bottom, despite it coming after around 20.5 so it seemed as if there was no update after 20.x.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

John Lee posted:

Then on a different note: Is there any chance the OP can be updated with some good non-Wildbow web serials? I like talking about Worm as much as the next guy, but it'd be nice to not have to trawl the whole thread for recommendations.

It can't, sadly, because of:

sunken fleet posted:

OP last posted in 2013, holy crap thread old.

The OP hasn't even made a post on this forum in over a year. We could get a mod to do edits, but...

I decided to spend the past half hour or so writing up a new thread with summaries for a whole bunch of stories that are popular here. It just needs ones for the stories I haven't read yet and it's pretty much good to post, if that's cool with you guys. I figured a fresh start would be beneficial.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I say post it, you can edit in summaries for popular ones you haven't read after the rest of us write them

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Just make a new thread you dopes. There's no contract saying you have to keep posting in the same one forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay cool here you go:

:siren:NEW THREAD:siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831668 :siren:NEW THREAD:siren:

• Locked thread