Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Red mist? Crawler wasn't disintegrated, he was turned into some kind of glass by one of Bakuda's bombs. He wasn't ever cut in half, but in 12.x Scrub did remove large chunks of his body, including a considerable potion of his brain. It didn't seem to cause him more than a few moments consternation.

His clones, or two of them at least, were killed by Defiant and Dragon by turning them into red mist. I don't think he's meant to be able to come back from that. I guess it's something Wildbow could have decided to do, but I doubt that Crawler is coming back at this point; just from a story perspective.
I seem to remember Wildbow saying something about cutting a regenerator in two and that one half would regenerate with the other staying dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sort of weird how the only Endbringer that hasn't shown up is the one that happens to mirror Eidolon's powers. It even specifically copied Eidolon in that little bit we saw during the time-skip.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Happy Yeti posted:

His clones, or two of them at least, were killed by Defiant and Dragon by turning them into red mist. I don't think he's meant to be able to come back from that. I guess it's something Wildbow could have decided to do, but I doubt that Crawler is coming back at this point; just from a story perspective.
I seem to remember Wildbow saying something about cutting a regenerator in two and that one half would regenerate with the other staying dead.

Oh okay, yeah I'm quite sure they're dead. Even if they're not Cauldron has Jack's remote now, so they are more or less in control of any S9 members who survived Arc 26.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mm, I know, but I keep going back to that bit and thinking how lovely it would be if those crawlers worked like Itchy did in the Simpsons pisstake of Fantasia... I can just imagine someone having breathed a single particle of mistified Crawler suddenly exploding...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Mm, I know, but I keep going back to that bit and thinking how lovely it would be if those crawlers worked like Itchy did in the Simpsons pisstake of Fantasia... I can just imagine someone having breathed a single particle of mistified Crawler suddenly exploding...

I don't think we've ever seen a regenerator that splits into multiple copies capable of independent action/recovery. It's been pretty consistent that whatever bit of its self happens to have the greatest mass is the part that heals and the rest remains inert and/or rapidly rots away.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think we've ever seen a regenerator that splits into multiple copies capable of independent action/recovery. It's been pretty consistent that whatever bit of its self happens to have the greatest mass is the part that heals and the rest remains inert and/or rapidly rots away.

Not the greatest mass though. It's likely to be in the larger section, but the core could be anywhere.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
God help me. I started a re-read. It is just so convenient to read a chapter and then study for half an hour and read another. It is really neat seeing how things get set up. Some of the foreshadowing for the large events and major players is pretty cool. Knowing Taylor's overall arc also helps, because I can see some of her little rationalizations that eventually lead her down the path that she takes. Seeing the line that she draws for herself between her cape and non-cape identity is interesting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

packsmack posted:

God help me. I started a re-read. It is just so convenient to read a chapter and then study for half an hour and read another. It is really neat seeing how things get set up. Some of the foreshadowing for the large events and major players is pretty cool. Knowing Taylor's overall arc also helps, because I can see some of her little rationalizations that eventually lead her down the path that she takes. Seeing the line that she draws for herself between her cape and non-cape identity is interesting.

I want to do a second read through, but I'm forcing myself you wait until it's been fully edited. Otherwise I'll end up reading it a third time!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Skippy McPants posted:

I want to do a second read through, but I'm forcing myself you wait until it's been fully edited. Otherwise I'll end up reading it a third time!

Yes, and the rate at which Wildbow writes I doubt that it would take very long for this editing to happen. What he (she?) decides to do with it afterward is the question. Self publish, mainstream publisher...?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Email all yer favorite authors to plug the series, and maybe one will pass along Worm to a proper publishing house!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fellwenner posted:

Yes, and the rate at which Wildbow writes I doubt that it would take very long for this editing to happen. What he (she?) decides to do with it afterward is the question. Self publish, mainstream publisher...?

Based on comments made the plan is to finish, edit and then self publish the ebook. A physical copy might show up later if the money for it materializes.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Skippy McPants posted:

Based on comments made the plan is to finish, edit and then self publish the ebook. A physical copy might show up later if the money for it materializes.

A physical copy would probably take up a whole shelf of my bookcase. :D

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Skippy McPants posted:

This could be crowdfunded. I'd Kickstart it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

This could be crowdfunded. I'd Kickstart it.

I've never donated to a kickstarter, but I would too.

Kind of hoped we'd have an update today, but it seems not.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SerSpook posted:

I've never donated to a kickstarter, but I would too.

Kind of hoped we'd have an update today, but it seems not.

Click on the Donate tab along the top. The one between Cast and Gallery, not the one on the right-hand sidebar. On that page it lists when the next bonus chapter is due.

There's one slated for the 19th.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So while reading the backlog via Instapaper, for one chapter the "read later" function gave me the text from one of the comments at the bottom of the page instead of the story text itself. It would have been obvious that something was wrong, except the particular comment happened to be a big chunk of erotic fanfiction. :gonk: It took a while to figure out that the story hadn't actually gone in a totally unexpected direction.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

withak posted:

So while reading the backlog via Instapaper, for one chapter the "read later" function gave me the text from one of the comments at the bottom of the page instead of the story text itself. It would have been obvious that something was wrong, except the particular comment happened to be a big chunk of erotic fanfiction. :gonk: It took a while to figure out that the story hadn't actually gone in a totally unexpected direction.

This sounds like it could be hilarious. Can we get some details?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hollylolly posted:

A physical copy would probably take up a whole shelf of my bookcase. :D

I think there was a comment from Wildbow on the latest chapter, saying that the word count is over 1 495 000 words. Assuming it's not finished yet, that's a big-rear end book, probably multiple volumes, actually. WIldbow posted a long thing about how it might be published.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

This sounds like it could be hilarious. Can we get some details?

It was somewhere in Chapter 14 or 15.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I looked it up, and basically, Worm is as long (longer now) as the first three Song of Ice and Fire books (around 3,000 pages paperback.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IIRC there's one particular commenter (Psycho Gecko) infamous for this sort of thing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
28.6 was goooood. Lots of callbacks to characters we haven't seen in a while.

Holy poo poo the Simurgh communicating with Taylor. :aaa: Can't wait for the fallout from that. Also, I'm wondering when Tattletale will pick up on Scion's powers-limited lifespan. Humanity doesn't need to win the fight -- they just need to extend the draw/loss long enough that Scion croaks under his own power usage.

There was also a pretty good comment by Wildbow (who doesn't seem to be correcting people using the pronoun "he", so I guess I was wrong) after 28.5 about why he won't attempt the traditional publishing route. Here it is. Not that he'll turn down any publishers who make first contact, he just doesn't expect anything to come out of the traditional approach that he couldn't do better on his own.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 14, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Honestly they don't even need to run Scion out of power Scions actions are largely predicated on him being correct about the death of the shards, and he's probably wrong.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, 1.4 million words seems to make a drat loving good writer.

And yes, MIGHTILY creeped out by Simurgh singing Tattletale a lullaby *shudder*

I do wonder, with the Simurgh, whether she can help the singing when she's actively using her TK to build and move things other than herself. I kind of feel like it might be a side-effect of her powers that she uses anyway, rather than something she does on purpose. Same with Levi's water-shadow.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The lullaby was kind of sweet.

And creepy as hell

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I just marathoned Ra.

I hope it's only this depressing because we're in the middle of the story.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just finished the bit where Skitter executes Coil and holy poo poo. I have no idea how Wildbow keeps upping the ante, or how he can possibly keep it up, but goddamn am I looking forward to finding out.

Whoops, sorry, didn't see that.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 15, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Per the agreed spoiler policy, you don't need to spoiler that.

But yes, the ante does keep going up from there...

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

But yes, the ante does keep going up from there...

Every time someone decides to play hardball with Taylor. Every. Single. Time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just caught up to Worm. Kind of sad about it in an inevitable way.

I have a theory that Taylor's real superpower is falling into and surviving increasingly ludicrously high-stakes situations. Seriously :v:

Any recommendations for other web serials?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tollymain posted:

I just caught up to Worm. Kind of sad about it in an inevitable way.

I have a theory that Taylor's real superpower is falling into and surviving increasingly ludicrously high-stakes situations. Seriously :v:

Any recommendations for other web serials?

Ra is by Sam Hughes, the same guy who did Fine Structure. Both of them are available in his fiction section which has some good shorts as well. His work tends very far towards the super-science ficiton end.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Oh god, Noelle :gonk:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

Oh god, Noelle :gonk:

So are you just starting that part, or just ending that part?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

SerSpook posted:

So are you just starting that part, or just ending that part?

Just finished the Travelers' backstory.

E: She sounds like some hosed up version of Echidna.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

Just finished the Travelers' backstory.

Oh man, you're easily into one of the best parts of the series now. Though I guess that's really the case from the incident with Coil you mention above, to a few arcs from where you are now.

eta: Obligatory gently caress Trickster here.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Worm: Oh loving hell, how does everything keep getting more and more hosed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Worm: The answer to "Can it get worse?" is always "yes"

Cool chapter, though. Lots of insight into many of the characters featured. Especially the Simurgh. She's plotting something, and given how the last few chapters have gone, it's probably more complicated than just taking out Scion.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 17, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The realization that the endbringers aren't all cooperating so much as following Simurgh's orders is disturbing.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not buying that Contessa went down that easily. I have to wonder if she somehow deceived them or let herself be defeated as part of a larger plan. Somehow.

Maybe I just didn't expect her to be taken out off-screen like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SerSpook posted:

I'm not buying that Contessa went down that easily. I have to wonder if she somehow deceived them or let herself be defeated as part of a larger plan. Somehow.

Maybe I just didn't expect her to be taken out off-screen like that.

Yeah, it's fishy, there is deffo something up with that, of course precognition makes guessing "why" even harder than it'd normally be.

• Locked thread