Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Dunno if I need to spoil this, but I'd really hate to ruin the story for anyone that's not caught up yet.

As much as I'm enjoying Worm (and I really am), I find it kind of absurd how much it's scaled up. It used to be hard for Skitter to fight 1 or 2 capes, and now it's like, 200+ S9! Also, I understand that he probably wants to wrap it up, but I found the story more interesting when it was a little slower and Skitter had her territory, Char and Sierra and the Undersiders to interact with. It's still good writing and story, but not as interesting now that she's not a villain and not smaller scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm so glad there's somewhere goony to talk about web serials (well, Worm, anyway) now. I've been thinking about starting up a discussion of it, but never been sure whether any goons actually like it. The thing that really impresses me I have to say is the inventiveness. So many of the powers are so simple and straightforward-sounding, and yet they manage to become so much more with a little thought. Especially Golem. Love Golem.

And yeah, Saint comes off as a complete cock, but wasn't it very heavily implied in the scene where he took down Dragon that it significantly improved the numbers on the end of the world by doing so? I can't help but wonder what it would have looked like had it been one of Dragon trapped in the time-loop listening to Jack persuading her to gently caress the stupid humans and go all skynet...

One downside to Worm is that after reading it, all the other mainstream superheroes that have had movies made recently all have kind of boring powers or rely on way too many of them to do something simple. Worm's simpler powers and most Capes having only 1 power means that no matter how good your power is, someone somewhere has some kind of power that could completely nullify you and probably eventually will if you live long enough.

Saint/Dragon:It's stated pretty much straight up that turning off Dragon upped the chances of preventing the world ending right then, but it's not made clear how. There's no good reason to assume it's Dragon that destroys the world, just that she indirectly helped convince Scion to do so or helped Jack get the opportunity. 27.2 also says that the end of the world was always going to be caused by Scion/Entity, so it's unlikely that Dragon was going to go rogue. Saint also sucks at managing all of Dragon's systems, ie. failed to micro shields to prevent cities from being swamped by waves, and earlier on nearly got capes killed chasing Jack since he couldn't, or wouldn't, micro the ships/mechs.

Saint also has the nerve to drop the "think of the bigger issues right now!" card on Defiant, after shutting down Dragon in the same critical scenario because she was getting to close to him. It had little to do with Dragon suddenly going Skynet and more to do with him being in personal trouble, but happily loving over other people who were doing actual, dangerous fieldwork.

At least, that's my impression, but I could easily have missed something pointing to Dragon going rogue (other than Saint's backstory).

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Lyon posted:

Did they explicitly state that people naturally got Scion's partner's shards? I kind of thought those shards 'died' and maybe that's where the cauldron capes were coming from by 'resurrecting' the partner's shards.

I kind of also thought when Glaistag referred to the courts it was the shards from Scion as one court and the partner's shards were the second court/cauldron capes.

During Scion's interlude chapter, he recognizes each shard that people have, both those from him and his partner. When Contessa and the Number Man show up, he notes that he doesn't recognize either of the shards they have.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Oh I could have it wrong, was just going off memory.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

SerSpook posted:

Well that was a chapter. The Endbringers are freaking the gently caress out it looks like. The question is whether the theories on Eidolon creating them are right and no one control's them now, or if it's a signal from the group that controls them. I think the latter, and I think they're going to be used against Scion. Also, 5 Endbringers and 5 groups mentioned by Dinah?

I'm still curious on the Endbringers. The sheer volume of capes that have been lost to them seems like it wasn't worth it if they've been held as an anti-Scion force from the start.

I really disliked Armsmaster as a person, but I really like Defiant. On the other hand, before we were actually introduced directly to him when he shut down Dragon, I thought I was going to like Saint but I ended up not.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

thespaceinvader posted:

5 endbringers is obvious. 5 groups, I don't think we actually know yet, but... Undersiders, PRT/Protectorate/Wards, Cauldron, Thanda, Yangban?

There are a lot of groups...

I anticipate Scion growing to the size of a skyscraper. Then 5 groups pilot 5 Endbringers and combine to form MegaEndbringer

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
We've had some 10+ arcs before but the last 5 or so arcs are all really short. That was a hell of a cliff-hanger to leave us on though, so I'm also gonna flip a table if it's not 29.10 tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
The best follow up to a huge cliff hanger is, of course, an even bigger cliff hanger. Graarwrgh. Also Trickster is "back", that little poo poo.

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 12, 2013

• Locked thread