Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also holy poo poo happy family reunion you REALLY need to re-read that scene because that isn't at all what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

That quote does not say that Taylor is morally justified. In fact, it says the opposite. "It is okay to be a bad person if there are other people who you think are worse than you".

Is that second part supposed to be a gotcha? Does having Taylor possessing an artificial arm somehow shoot down my point that Taylor ends the story with two arms? Are you implying that Taylor should only have one arm as an artificial replacement is a bad thing? Can amputees not have happy endings? This seems like a strange point to make, to me. Reminder that the only other character with extensive cybernetics in Worm is Defiant, who actually improves as a person as a result of his enhancements. Similarly, Taylor's artificial limb is a sign of her growing as a person and becoming better. In that sense, Worm is not Star Wars where the machine destroys the man.

You can do better, Overwatch avatar or not.

Jesus Christ you're fuckin insufferable

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calef posted:

Compare: "It is okay to be a bad person if there are other people who you think are worse than you".
"It is morally justifiable to be a bad person if there are other people who you think are worse than you".

Are these statements meaningfully different?

Regarding the arm thing: she does not have a robotic arm. I'm not sure why you've chosen this hill to die on, but, as far as I could tell, you were arguing she was not missing an arm. She is. She also has a fake, plastic replacement arm. Maybe everyone is right? I honestly don't know why you brought this up in the post I was responding to.

Regarding the text/subtext of Worm: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" works fairly well. Worm is a tragedy: it's a cautionary tale about how much damage can be done by convincing oneself that the ends justify the means. Note that Worm *isnt* an indictment of consequentialism itself--just that people can and do use that sort of logic to delude themselves into thinking they are right. Textually, the story traces this damage, both to Taylor's own moral compass, and to those around her, over nigh constant escalation that is often derived from or even instigated by Taylor's own choices.

It's one thing to disagree that this is the point of Worm, it's another to claim Worm communicated this poorly. I suspect you actually believe the latter, and if so, then *just say that^. Having a different opinion is cool and good. But your suggested reading of the text actually doesn't have any support.

It's almost like he's just an rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank Christ you're here to explain this to us all, thank you for taking time out of your day oh wise master

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

berenzen posted:

An optimistic ending isn't necessarily a happy ending either. Taylor had to lose literally everything in order to realize that she was a completely unrepentant monster, and is only starting to repair the burned bridges with her father. She realizes she was a complete utter and unrepentant monster that wrought more destruction than built anything, and is still struggling with the guilt of that. That's not exactly a happy ending.

Also, calling the scene with her alternate Earth mom a family reunion is massively stupid because it's not a reunion. She's never met this woman before, shes basically approaching a stranger and hoping she doesn't get pushed away. Her dad doesnt even go over because it hurts too much to see her

But that's a happy family reunion I guess because we're all wrong about worm

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyway twig rules

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dauntless would also be super boring in a fight and half the fun of worm was the people with very useless sounding abilities actually being terrifying as gently caress even against a man who could turn into a dragon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neurosis posted:

i dunno. maybe they could his equipment all sorts of whacky abilities that weren't explored in the original.

I'm o sure Wildbow has said that while he has some psychological control over how the powers manifest they all tend towards direct combat stuff

Also he could easily become just straight broken by the end and not in an interesting way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mad Hamish posted:

What is it about Worm in particular that facilitates this sort of discussion? I never see people doing this for Pact.

There's UNSONG. UNSONG is good.

Unsong seems too fuckin weird

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Reading chapter one of Unsong and it's weird as hell but gods name ends "meh meh meh meh meh meh" and that rules

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CaptainJuan posted:

Unsong is a spec fic serial for people who love shaggy dog stories and awful puns

That sounds dope actually

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Am I reading twig right (part six) did Jamie just come out to Sy and admit that he has a thing for him

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poor Jamie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

Nah, it kinds of makes the whole thing a bit laughable if her flaws are things that allow her to save the world and the whole narrative (and, indeed, world) is constructed that it's the only way things could've happened. I've always found Taylor's attempt at pathos towards the end, where she muses that she would do things differently and heroically if she could do it all again, really weak. Because it's like, okay, you do that, Scion wins. Now what, Taylor?

uh not necessarily? things play out the way they do because of what happens in the first arc, if she never joins the undersiders who knows how poo poo goes

but you're the guy who argued that getting double tapped and sneaking away to a world where you know one person and also you've lost an arm and have a lovely prosthetic (and it is, because the epilogue mentions her having to use her other arm to get it in her pocket) and the one thing that gave you meaning and your last line is hoping that someday you'll figure out how to be okay is a happy ending

so no poo poo you're a flaming idiot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not convinced that nothing Taylor did ever mattered because if she joined the Wards or whatever she'd still end up in the exact same position to defeat Scion with the exact same capabilities is the right argument to make but, hey.

Remember when you thought she was missing an arm entirely and had two gaping bullet wounds in her head and didn't know a single person when she actually knows two (because Regent is there as well?) You can't really gotcha someone with the stuff they corrected you on, by the way.

Good times in the Web Serial thread.

I said optimistic, by the way. But if your reading comprehension was beyond a middle school level, well, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

Someone she thinks is Regent, or the Aleph version of him, not necessarily the one she knew, also lmao at you insisting that having a prosthetic means she isn't still missing an arm

Also no you changed your mind to say it was optimistic after other people pointed out you were confusing that for happy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also there's no guarantee that any of the events of the story up to and including jack turning Scion would have happened the way they did or at all if it wasn't for her decision to join the Undersiders, that's kinda one of the themes of the book: actions have consequences and some of them you can't see coming no matter how hard you try

Like Taylor doesn't join, the bank robbery fails (possibly, all of this is just a possibly), the Undersiders don't get in a fight WTH Bakuda, the ABB war never kicks off, which means Leviathan isn't attracted to the city, holy poo poo one giant calamity already doesn't happen, maybe, because of one decision

I'd keep going but besides the very end I don't remember much of it and I'm only up to the Leviathan arc in my reread

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 15, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

Imagine I posted some words wondering how you reconcile this with Cauldron/PTV/yadda yadda yadda and the fact that the text of Worm posits that there is no such thing as free will.

Taylor is an unreliable narrator whose trauma prevents her from seeing things clearly and accurately. I am still correct and accurate.

Worm doesn't posit that free will is a myth. Nobody has perfect sight of the future except the simurgh, everyone else is shooting the odds. Even Contessa has blind spots.

Also lmao that you simultaneously acknowledge that most of the info we get is ubrelaible as poo poo while proclaiming yourself to be perfectly correct about the story

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To try to move this away from the most interminable philospohical argument in recorded history Im just wrapping up arc 6 of twig and holy poo poo is the Duke terrifying. Just a superhuman royal with no fucks to give about anyone else, nobody to tell him no

I guess I never thought about what the broader society was like, with the focus on the lambs and their missions, but goddamn

Also poor Jamie. Poor Gordon.

E. I WROTE THAT BEFORE THE END OF 6.13 WHAT THE gently caress WILDBOW WHT YOU GITTA DO THIS

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 15, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How old are the Lambs supposed to be? I just got to the start of arc 8 and I'm having a hell of a time pinning it down

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Namarrgon posted:

There's usually something like half a year to a year between arcs so that's no surprise.

Besides 'age' becomes a bit fussy when you are talking about biological experiments.

At the start of 8 Lillian mentions being fifteen, so that at least gives me a physical age to pin to the Lambs for now

Also gently caress this Lillian and Sy poo poo Sy/Mary OTP

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Arc 7 is a motherfucker too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Twig is goddamn amazing and Wildbow's best work to date by far, and I'm in the party that loved Worm both for Taylor's steady descent and for the This Is How People Get Involved With Gangs Allegory.

For real

The back quarter or so of 7 with the arrival of Jamie 2.0 and Ashton was actually loving crushing, watching Sy deal with the first thing in there

And the Interlude from all the different POVs was fantastic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Polite request please tag your spoilers for Twig with at least an arc number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
no no no no no we are not doing this argument shut the gently caress up

• Locked thread