Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Is it ever stated what gender wildbow is? I see people using she and her, but haven't actually seen it explicitly mentioned that wildbow is a woman, or a name given.

As far as the Saint thing goes, as a few people mentioned, I think the reason the odds went up for success was that Saint can find the things that were in Dragon's blind spots, rather than stopping Dragon as a threat or that Dragon would somehow mess up their chances. It's specifically stated that initial casualties went up, but their overall chances increased, too, which fits. I like how that makes Saint think he's a hero for doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, when in actuality it was only by coincidence that he didn't completely gently caress everyone over for nothing. Plus, it means they might bring Dragon back, and she's one of my favorite characters. I love when sci-fi subverts the evil AI kills everyone theme, too - it's really played out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Does she get anything from Cauldron capes, though? I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but they don't have shards, or at least, not Scion/Partner's shards, so they might not work for her.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

why oh WHY posted:

She has Grey Boy and I'm pretty sure he is a Cauldron cape.

You're right, he is.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I was sad to see that character die, too.

Just start reading. It's longer than the first three ASoIaF books combined. Even if you have a shitload of free time, it'll take you at least a week or two, and if you don't, you'll probably catch up right near the end. Which is where we are now, really, but closer.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I looked it up, and basically, Worm is as long (longer now) as the first three Song of Ice and Fire books (around 3,000 pages paperback.)

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I just really hope she doesn't do what she says she's going to do at the end. That character is my favorite character and deserves far better.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I really liked that, mostly because I really, really like Dragon and I was so sure that Wildbow was setting us up for "Dragon has to die so Dragon can live" kinda thing, and while that happened, it was the new Dragon that died, which completely reinforced why I loving love Dragon so much. I also love how the best (in terms of awesomeness to the reader, and in-universe as a quality individual) character is a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I sort of feel like losing her powers is her chance to just live her own life and stop having to sacrifice everything for everyone. It's the only way she can have any sort of happy ending; she'd just start all over again if she could. I mean, at what point in the story would you say she was truly happy? There were happy moments, but it was just one crisis after another, struggling to protect people, and fighting with her own sense of right and wrong while being poo poo on by the universe. Here, she can finally go back and establish her relationship with her dad and just live a normal life. She'll probably end up in some sort of self-sacrificing career, but it'll be rewarding in a way that her previous life wasn't.

Feels really weird that this is over, though. I've only been reading for half a year or so (less than that), but the story was a really important part of my week. I ran through something like 25 chapters in a week and a half during a really lovely depressing period in my life and it gave me something to focus on and to escape from my poo poo with, so it really helped, and I'm really glad someone (multiple people) posted the link in the Dresden Files thread.

• Locked thread