Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe we could have a listing of the more unusual shards out there?

Skitter is the Administrator shard of course, and amongst other things, Shards themselves are kind of like insects. They form hive entities in combination, but have quite rudimentary intelligence otherwise.

Glaistig Uaine's is probably the harvester shard as mentioned, to get them all back into one entity at the end.

Jack Slash is still alive, if trapped and still possessed of the broadcast shard. I figure it's what the Worms use to communicate, across a wide variety of energies and realities.

Foil's shard is the weapon the Worms use on each other. Presumably the attack transcends time, space or even dimensions, since the Worm entities exist in multiple dimensions(and even Scion here is just a projection).

Chevalier's ability seems to fit these categories, he can see the nature of the shards involved, and on top of that, seems to be able to merge just about anything anything. He's not using it to it's full capacity, much like Jack.

Dinah's precognition seems to fit the Worm-type of future perception.

Any others I missed?

Man, this page is quite the CIA document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Isn't it basically nothing but Worm discussion right now?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm thinking the second trigger is never going to happen. It's up to Bonesaw and Panacea now.

We can fix her, we have the technology.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe, my thought is that we just don't have enough story time left to do a second triggered power justice though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

Just caught up with Worm this morning, pretty amazing ride. I have a couple broad criticisms, but they really pale in comparisons to the overall quality and staggering rapidity the author manages to maintain.

27.5 Spoilers: Curious how much Taylor will be allowed to recover. We've seen people come back from some pretty gnarly injuries, but being bisected is fairly far out there.

Bonesaw and Panacea, plus a lot of dead capes for spare parts

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

berenzen posted:

I disagree, Bonesaw has had quite a bit of experience doing so, it's just melding two whole people together is when she had a bit of trouble.

She has all the necessary knowledge, just not the interest to avoid things looking like a mutilated mess. Remember, she's also done the full upgrade set on the S9 and even more on herself, they still look quite good.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

thespaceinvader posted:

What's bugging me about this one: didn't Eidolon specifically say that he was a hole in Contessa's powers, and therefore, she had to specifically create scenarios including an analogue of him in order to work on him? Has Scion actually shown that kind of insight into people like, EVER? I'm not convinced Eidolon's done for here.

However, hooboy what a chapter.

The problem was losing Glaistig's support. Eidolon couldn't hammer Scion anywhere NEAR as hard if not for her covering for defense or mobility. He couldn't be accurately predicted due to his power being a leap of faith, entirely non deterministic. Glaistig has no such protection.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Virigoth posted:

Sound about right. It was a bitch catching up on this series. Each "installment" is about 5-7k words if I remember right with Wildbow mentioning it was getting longer each update.

A thoroughly enjoyable bitch though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It was what everyone was asking for!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Just Contessa I think.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

Love that bit about the Simurgh showing up and having nothing to do.

"Cower brief mortals!....I guess you're all pretty cowered huh, I'll just hang around to watch then."

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dietrich posted:

I don't know, Saint seems like a guy trying to do what's right and making some bad calls. Somewhat of a foil to Taylor in that way.

The difference is just that while they're both in over their heads, Saint never admits it, even to himself.

Just another hard man making hard choices that actually didn't need to be made and just make things worse.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Every time someone makes Hard Choices it ultimately ends badly though. Idealistic choices don't seem to leave regrets and consequences are transient. Hard practical choices kick everyone in the nuts down the road.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Daysvala posted:

This is kind of how I feel too, though I wouldn't say it dropped in quality as much as I think the pacing took a real nosedive.

I think it started when Taylor turned herself in willingly; I just couldn't buy that 4 cryptic words from Dinah was enough to make someone intelligent and methodical like Taylor give up everything she had just on the off chance she would be making the right decision, though I guess it does fit somewhat with her personality.

Wildbow really needed to take as much time fleshing out Taylor's time in the Wards as she/he took fleshing out her time with the Undersiders. As it is it really does feel like she/he just wanted to advance the plot as quickly as possible at the cost of the already established pacing.

Agreed, we never really got the Taylor-as-Ward experience, and her relationship with the Protectorate is...thin at best. We skipped over most of a year of character development there.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
At least as much time as being directly under Coil would have been good.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Or new Endbringers showing up even. Even as Warlord of Brockton Bay, even while fighting the S9, there was time for interpersonal stuff. Win or lose, there's a story to it. Skipping out in the middle of the fight was probably one of the bits of writing that got criticized most through the whole series.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Imp sure is getting classy.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Welp, looks like we have Endbringers on a string. One they could snap if they felt like it.

Emy posted:

It seems like Worm is basically what Wild Cards could have been if it weren't quite so Wild Cards. It's not that Worm isn't grim, gritty, gory, or whatever other applicable adjectives, but Wild Cards seemed to have much more of an adolescent fixation on trying to appear 'mature' in an edgy shock-value sort of way. Worm seems to have avoided that. It also benefits from being written by only one author, rather than a whole gaggle of neckbeards trying to squeeze in a story arc about their favorite Ace.

Wild Cards suffered from trying too hard to be 'mature' and edgy, it worked with very limited length to express plots and few characters ever really got to be fleshed out. Most of them seem distinctly...unmotivated really, just pursuing their vice of the day. You don't know them as people, but as caricatures with powers. The power defines all that they are.

For Worm, gritty and mature is just natural evolution of the plot. It's really more about the characters and how they're dealing with crisis. The powers are just a means of expressing character traits really.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

sirtommygunn posted:

Every time I ask "How could this possibly get worse" Wildbow is more than happy to tell me how.

Chances that this is just the Simurgh intimidating them/making them know who's in charge?

Good odds, Simurgh is helping because she wants to, not because she's following orders or allied. She just wants to kick Scion's rear end, and as the master manipulator of the Endbringers, does not appreciate being manipulated.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
More like Dragon's situation, his power was used to construct them, after which it was an independent existence.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
New Worm
Mecha godzilla. Who knew Endbringers were upgradable.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

Anyhoo yeah, after I caught up on Worm I went looking for other decent web serials, hoping against hope that I'd tapped into some wonderful new world of storytelling. I was quickly disappointed. Alas the internet is still the internet and 99.99% of everything on it is still utter garbage.

I'm just thankful I discovered this 0.01%.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

hollylolly posted:

Tohu. Or Bohu, whichever one it was that showed up. The one that hasn't showed is the only 'unclaimed' Endbringer at the moment. Khonsu was sold by Teacher to Cauldron, the PRT/Wards have Leviathan and ..Bohu?, and Taylor's group has the Simurgh. :gonk:

And the best part is, only Taylor's group really recognizes that they don't really have any significant control over the Endbringers at all. It's merely cooperation, not even alliance between common foes.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

thespaceinvader posted:

On another note, thinking about the mist thing... is anyone else slightly worried, even now, that Crawler might be able to regenerate from red mist status back into crawler status? Even more so if he would regenerate into multiple Crawlers...

More to the point, was it ever mentioned whether anyone had managed to cut him in half, and if so, what happened?

Wormverse regenerators all seem to have a core of some sort. Bust the core and they're bust. Hookwolf, Echnida, the Endbringers all consider non-core damage to be superficial, while the core itself is incredibly resilient.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think we've ever seen a regenerator that splits into multiple copies capable of independent action/recovery. It's been pretty consistent that whatever bit of its self happens to have the greatest mass is the part that heals and the rest remains inert and/or rapidly rots away.

Not the greatest mass though. It's likely to be in the larger section, but the core could be anywhere.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The lullaby was kind of sweet.

And creepy as hell

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

28.x Weld is a loving moron. "Yeah sure, I'll just cobble together this coalition of revenge crazed mutants and go on a selfish rampage while the world burns. But I am one hundred precent sure that when we come face to face with the source of all our pain I can convince them all to be civil and restrained."

He's idealistic, not his fault here so much as Cauldron's for dumping them all out there. Weld made a choice he should regret.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, in this case, it was Evil's fault to begin with. Cauldron releasing all those Case 53s all this time was going to bite them in the rear end anyway. Weld just catalyzed things.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Scion seems less invulnerable now, what with having stains and stuff on him, and actually putting up an effort on defense. I reckon all those powers he deflected or blocked could have wounded him. Anyone he guns for aggressively could have killed him.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NecroMonster posted:

Scion's never actually been invulnerable, well, he did make sure he couldn't lose a fight against the shards he altered and cast out, but those same shards have changed, and reproduced since then. He's dealing with far more unknowns than he started this whole experiment with, he's running himself dry of power at the same time. He's acting in total desperation, trying whatever he can to induce some sort of improvement in his own situation. He's basically committing a sort of suicide here.

There's a good chance of simply killing him by exhaustion then, if everyone puts up a good fight. There are far more shards out there than Scion has and defeating all of them will be hideously costly in terms of energy

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Each time humans manage to land a hit on him, or force him to use precognition to escape a dead end(like with Foil), he needs to be even more conservative, and that limits how fast he can eliminate people. So there's a tipping point where he can no longer kill people fast enough to keep them from fighting him. The question is if he'd break first or if humanity gives up the last resistance.

Notably Glaistig Uaine is seriously costing him. As long as she's there he has to defeat every troublesome cape twice.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Algid posted:

It's not even that, he's a projection so he literally can't die from fighting the capes. His real body is cordoned off on (several) alternate Earths. Stopping Foil's bolt is just a way to conserve energy, it would have at most dispersed the projection if he had been hit.

Can't be exactly certain on that with Foil's attack. If it was something the Worms used to fight each other with, it might have posed a serious threat even if shot at a projection.

And at the least, reforming the projection would have cost energy he clearly couldn't spare.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NecroMonster posted:

I feel like she probably will have an important role in it, on the other hand I also feel like she's a complete and total idiot who isn't going to be able to do anything but try and hurt Taylor somehow. She's mean, stupid, crazy and a complete coward so I'm really having trouble coming up with anything she might actually be willing to do.

Not necessarily willing, but she can be forced into a corner. EVERYONE present is costing Scion some effort to kill and defend against, so even if she's just running around like a headless chicken he actually has to go to the effort of using an electrical or transdimensional attack to nail her. And that's effort not spent on someone else.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Grundulum posted:

Man, Monday and Friday nights are the best.

As Worm has progressed, I've gotten less and less out of my readthroughs of each fight scene. I'm eventually going to reread the entire series, so it's not such a huge deal, but I wonder why that is. Is it that I'm reading faster because I'm more involved in the story? Is Wildbow getting more terse describing the fights, so that a skipped sentence carries much more descriptive weight? Is the writing getting frantic and frenetic to match the story environment in which these fights are happening? Is Wildbow just creeping closer and closer to missing a deadline, so new chapters get less revision before being published? :iiam:

I thought it was intended to reflect the loss of hope and purpose to the resistance as the fight went on. Nothing works, except when they breach the limitations of their powers through recombination. Cauldron capes can get a few hits in, but are crushed by the difference in power anyway. The tension had pulled so taut it's snapped. The stakes literally can't rise any higher.

It took a few readings to figure out what Simurgh was pulling though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NecroMonster posted:

Real talk Simurgh was distracting him, not just with the puff of air, but also by just generally being something his mental powers don't work on.

I suspect she's simply costing him as much energy as she could with the minimal effort on her part. Force him to check the future at minimal effort.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
^^
She's had a lot of practice, working with Masters, Strangers and Thinkers(which is kind of what the Undersiders are). The same kinds of logic applies, in a 'what would I do if I were in their shoes'. And the Administrator shard no doubt helped.

Funny how Chevalier wound up with a black costume though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Lprsti99 posted:

Okay, Worm, I get it, no one is ever allowed to be happy, holy poo poo. They kill Behemoth, things are looking up, and then Khonsu happens, and is the most terrifying motherfucker ever, with the possible exception of the Simurgh.

Worm: It Gets Worse.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Most likely this is just her coping mechanism. She's been picking up Regent's habits because she misses him. Imp isn't academically dumb so much as easily distracted.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Even when they needed an entirely unlimited power, Doctor Mother STILL mixed in Balance to limit the powers. Wasted time they didn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

hollylolly posted:

So, what are the odds at this point that Worm ends with all the Earths exploding?

Not likely, since we know for certain there will be survivors, because they'd be getting Interludes.

• Locked thread