Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

veekie posted:

"Cower brief mortals!....I guess you're all pretty cowered huh, I'll just hang around to watch then."

"All is going exactly according to my DIABOLICAL plan. I mean it! If there was anyone here to hear it, by gosh you'd be awed and driven mad by the merest whisper of the grand blasphemies I intend to inflict upon you! Sigh...Anybody got a smoke?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Skippy McPants posted:

I was also surprised to see Grue get put out to pasture. It makes some sense considering what he's been through, but it isn't too often you see major characters get taken down by PTSD.

It's something of a special situation. He's been heading down this road ever since Bonesaw turned him into a one-man meat locker.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

K Prime posted:

Random stupid ideas that pop into my head:

Has Parian ever said "Curses, Foil'd again?" And if so, how hard did she get slapped?

I'm going to be disappointed if this isn't brought up, like how they eventually explained the origin of the unfortunate Assault & Battery name pairing :3:

With other odd thoughts, am I the only one who's just a little bit happy that Canary got let out of the Birdcage? Of course, I just caught up, so it's fresh, but I was thinking, while they were letting folks out "I hope they're going to let out that poor girl who got indefinite detention in Hell because her powers went cuckoo."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

This wasn't recent, but why was Taylor able to shoot Jack when they were at the school?

Well, they've mentioned that when two clairvoyants fight, their powers cancel out, so it might be a similar, though lesser effect because their shard-related powers don't perfectly align. Or maybe Jack was just loving with her because he knew the mesh would catch the bullet.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure powers coming from Zion was ever the biggest secret in the world. I kinda thought that might be the case when Zion was first talked about in the first couple arcs. He shows up before anyone in the world has superpowers, floating in the middle of the ocean, the terminally ill guy on the ship touches him and becomes one of the first of many capes, etc. You would think someone in-universe would have guessed at it.

I never made the connection between him and the worms before the story revealed it, though. I thought the worms were some kind of deity because people were having beautiful visions of them in near-death situations, and I had a half baked idea Scion might be Jesus based on the name and what I thought about the worms. Offbase to say the least.

It was offered as one of the in-universe theories pre-freakout. One of the weaknesses given for the theory was that they couldn't establish a chain of "infection" for powers from contact with Scion in a number of cases.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
"I turned my attention to Scion"

And he turned to Taylor and said "Where have you been all my life you absolutely ravishing assortment of shards, you!" Not sure what the practical difference is between her and one of the entities is now because she has essentially formed a new one, minus the mountain of extradimensional flesh, but hey, there's still time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it...

The more I'll be hugely disappointed if that is unambiguously the end of Taylor. It's too loving nihilistic, her final thoughts at the end of 30.7 are those of a depressed and emotionally exhausted young woman. There's no catharsis, it just feels like a recent trauma victim getting double tapped for no good reason.

And that idea that Contessa, who was at least as horrible as Taylor and ineffective to boot, would be the one of off her is majorly unsatisfying.

Ending a chapter (or whatever you call these sections) earlier would have been better if she's actually dead. She's used up everything of herself in the fight; her body is failing, her ability to communicate is long gone and her mind is fading. With Scion gone it seemed like that was the last thing holding her together.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NecroMonster posted:

And it does it while being so much better written as well. Gurm is such a loving hack.

And having a production rate that puts any writer (let alone Martin) whose name doesn't rhyme with Sandon Branderson to shame.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Algid posted:

How has someone not killed teacher yet? He's had to have pissed off enough people by now.

Please, that's for the sequel :pseudo:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm going to be optimistic and say that the bad triggers are due to Scion's shards getting loose and not because the whole process is broken or something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I suppose it all depends on how many shards the Fairy Queen nabbed--I wonder if they still mature and split off while she uses them?

But nevertheless, the plan still had them basically releasing all the shards and just waiting for a few centuries. They would manipulate events (as per Eden's vision) but it seems that the shard maturation process largely maintains itself.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NecroMonster posted:

You didn't miss anything.

Best running guess is Eidolon.

I figure it's almost certain with the comments about the thing's appearance. It's pretty consistent with Eidelon's descriptions as below average, disappointing, stuff about his nose and ears and so on.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NecroMonster posted:

On the other hand she receives no great absolution, she is left to deal with the things she's done, and with the things she can no-longer do. Once again, Taylor has to deal with the consequences of her actions, and the actions of others the best she can. That's not exactly the salvation I deep down wished for, but it is a HELL of an appropriate ending for this work.

I imagine the worst part is that after relying on her powers for so long, it's like being half blind, not being able to rely on insects to feel out her surroundings for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TOOT BOOT posted:

Wildbow says he's going to redo the timeskip area when he's editing it.

This is what I'm most exciting about. That will get filled out and the content in general will be evened out and like Skippy said, giving it some parity with how at the beginning so much happens over like three weeks.

All that, if Wildbow follows through, will ensure that I buy when Worm goes to print.

• Locked thread