Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Namarrgon posted:

Another thing I disliked about Worm too. Maybe this is because of the fan community surrounding it as well (it is terrible, but in an incompetent fanboy way). Apparently part of the premise of Worm is that we are supposed to think "ah man what kind of a lovely power is insect control". I can't be the only one who read "insect control" and immediately thought "that is ridiculously powerful".

I think it's because of the way it's presented at first - Taylor doesn't do the really crazy poo poo that she does later. At first it's just summoning swarms of bugs to bite her enemies, then she starts using them for surveillance, making body doubles, spider-silk costumes, she gets innovative, right? But at first it's just boring. Woo, you can call a swarm of flies, good for you? Seems limited.

Someone once speculated that she got a Thinker shard at some point as well, which allowed her to come up with some of the weirder bug stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Dikkfor posted:

If y'all haven't been following UNSONG then I don't know what to tell you.

This guy speaks the truth.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Alright so after reading the first volume of UNSONG, it feels very similar to Douglas Adams' books. Not a whole lot of cohesive linear narrative, tons of fluff and seemingly meaningless sidestories that build up to a punchline, the same kind of humor. I really, really like it. Especially Uriel, what a great character.

I love Uriel, really I do, but sometimes his hopeless autism thing annoys me a bit. But I feel like it's actually something plausible - he really can't relate to the humans around him, they have literally nothing in common and they're on so different a level that the concept of levels is irrelevant. In many ways I feel sort of sorry for him but I don't think he'd understand why.

I think Uriel is in many ways a homage to Death in the Discworld books, and not just because he only speaks in small caps.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Dikkfor posted:

On the plus side, he's finally figured out Knock-Knock jokes.

Well, it could have been worse. What if someone had been boiling a calf in it's mother's milk?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I really liked Pact, but the non-stop escalation made it sort of exhausting. Even in Worm there were some chapters that were just people sitting around talking, or shopping, or doing stuff around their base. Every once in a while the reader needs a little break from horrible things happening.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Unsong is amazing and if you have the slightest interest in the Western magical tradition or in Kabbala then there are a LOT of entertaining subtle references.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

blastron posted:

Yeah, Ra is, though I wish it had ended very differently. I dislike the ending so much that I can now only recommend it begrudgingly, with a big "the ending is weird and I don't like it but the first 3/4s is good" disclaimer in front of it.

Transhuman futuretech powering a fictional recreation of real Earth was a cool twist. The author should have kept the Wheel Group as outright villains and not introduced the Real/Virtual divide because that made him write himself into the worst corner, with the only logical option being the incredibly unsatisfying destruction of Earth and the defeat of literally everyone in the story.

Oh, I don't know, I thought it was kind of cool that there isn't a happy ending for anyone. It's very unusual to see any kind of media where the villain wins or where the heroes fail, I kind of liked it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Vateke posted:

Speaking of practical magic, does anyone have any more good examples of it? I'm craving more of it.

There's definitely UNSONG.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Vateke posted:

Personally, I wasn't talking about Worm. Worm mostly worked. Pact was the problem. Also, I don't really mean "happy" moments as much as "peaceful moments". Things don't need to be optimistic, you just need time to breath. On a basic level, you get tense while reading a story. You can't just keep up that intensity for 20 chapters. It's emotionally exhausting. You need a break where the threat relents a bit, and things are going better at least relatively speaking. Otherwise the emotional shocks start to dull.

This was honestly my biggest problem with Pact, there was just no goddamned place to catch your breath, just nonstop problem upon catastrophic problem. 'Exhausting' describes it perfectly.

I mean, I loved it, I really did, but it puts you through the wringer.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

What is it about Worm in particular that facilitates this sort of discussion? I never see people doing this for Pact.

There's UNSONG. UNSONG is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

A basic knowledge of gematria and/or Kabbala and/or ceremonial magic is definitely helpful for reading UNSONG but even so, it was a fun read.

• Locked thread