Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I can't stop reading Worm and I totally blame this thread for the lack of sleep. :colbert:

I'm going to be so sad when I catch up. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Skellen posted:

This is me, and I just caught up a couple of days ago. Friday and Monday nights are now the best nights.

Yep, the newest update was the first one I had to wait for. :allears: Being able to pick up the equivalent of a 10-15 book series and just read it through in one go is like heaven to me.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

papa horny michael posted:

Can't say I enjoy the latest update. We'll see how it goes though.

There's mostly just negative feedback in Worm's comment section. I didn't love it, but since it's basically a first draft of a book there's bound to be a few bumps. I'm with you - we'll see how it goes. I'm sure Wildbow can make it good. :)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Skellen posted:

Well tonight's update certainly made up for however week 25.6 was. Good character building too.

Oh yeah, this was a great interlude. Hit all the right emotional notes, especially with Bonesaw's origin story. If you told me I'd feel sympathy for one of the Slaughterhouse 9 I probably wouldn't have believed you. He has a great way of shaping your expectations and then flipping it all on its head.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Worm 27.2 is up.

Legion of Doom meetings are fun. I'm mad that we finally got to see the Blasphemies, but learn nothing about them, and then there are two new (presumably) S-class capes introduced -- Ash Beast and the Sleeper, I think their names were. Also I have no clue what Teacher's powers actually are, that he's so dangerous to the world.

And, as a joke theory: The first thing Scion did as it approached Earth was give all capes their powers. The second thing he did was cure someone of cancer. So if this keeps going, everyone in the worlds will get cancer, and then Scion will revoke all the shards.

Also, did we ever get an explanation for why there are capes on Earth Aleph?

I think the explanation for Earth Aleph is that some dead shards from the companion went to another dimension by accident? Now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure that is a great explanation, and it hasn't been spelled out. I need Cauldron to do the Detective Explains It All scene, I'm sure they know. :argh:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Hawkgirl posted:

I thought Scion's interlude explicitly spelled out that he sent some shards to other Earths but decided that Earth Bet was the one that should get most of them.

You're probably right, I kinda thought it was that but I need to reread that interlude. Also Cauldron might be responsible as well for some - or did they just kidnap people from alternate Earths for the Case 52s (Newter) and drop them all in Earth Bet?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Given the lines right before the break in narration, I think your first option is the correct one. Not enough to forgive her, not this easily. Not her.

I think Defiant's comment about "other options" is a nod to the fact that (old spoilers, but covering just in case we get new readers) Taylor has singlehandedly taken down three (?) of Dragon's machines, with the Undersiders accounting for a few more. And that was with Dragon ostensibly in control, though she wasn't actually doing much for some of them. What chance do you think Saint has if Defiant convinces the Undersiders that his crew is a genuine threat?

This serial could definitely use the Game of Thrones mini-series treatment. It seems to have all the makings for a popular series along those lines: superheroes, villains, clever use of powers (edit: Worm is just ridiculously good at this), gray morality, superb fight scenes, an excellent escalation in tension so far, willingness to abuse/kill off the characters as needed for story purposes, and plenty of mysteries. The big problems I see are that the gratuitous use of bugs would skeeve many people out if seen on TV (I'm one of them) (one way to do it could be to use "bug's eye" views that keep most of the critter off-camera) and that a lot of the series is spent in people's heads, which would take some work to adapt to the format of TV -- narration works fine on Arrested Development and Desperate Housewives, but I doubt it would fit well here.

Edit also: Wildbow has said that she probably won't do any donation bonus interludes from here to the end of the story. So any bonus chapters we get will be on characters who survive whatever apocalyptic scenarios take place between now and then. It is therefore in our best interest as a community of readers to convince a publisher to pick her up and give her a hefty commission on the work -- the more of these chapters she has to write, the more likely your favorite character is to be the focus of one (i.e. survive the series).

Just hypothetically speaking, if Worm was made into a TV show - what channel? HBO is the obvious choice for a product of the highest quality, but with most of the main characters being underage and there not being many places to shoehorn nudity into it maybe it isn't the best choice (actually near the beginning there are a ton of heroes in Brockton Bay so scandalous costumes wouldn't stand out too much). FX? :allears: I just love this story and think it deserves all the eyes on it. I even recommended it to my dad (he's 72). I'll report back if he actually reads it. ;)

I don't really use Twitter but maybe "we" should tweet the link to Neil Gaiman or some directors or who knows. I'm just really excited to read the next chapter and I am every single week. I was so disappointed on Thursday to realize there wasn't an extra update last week. :lol:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Cytokinesis posted:

I have to strongly disagree on this point in particular. Taylor didn't shoot her just because of the apocalyptic possibility, but also because she was in the hands of the Slaughterhouse Nine. Taylor wasn't able to get her away from them, so she saved her the only way she knew. To Taylor's knowledge it was very likely that the girl would suffer a fate worse than death if she was left in their hands any longer, and considering Gray Boy's power, it's hard to argue against killing a person to prevent them from being put into an infinite loop of agony. It was implied in one of the previous chapters that Taylor encountered one of Gray Boy's victims in Killington and simply covered them with a tarp, because no one knew how to break the loops till Foil came in with her power.

As to the rest of your argument about Saint's reasoning: Saint reasons fell apart the moment it became clear that Scion was the end of the world. He has let millions die, and is continuing to let them die, by not waking Dragon up. He's a self righteous murderous rear end in a top hat who is probably also under Teacher's influence, if not outright control.

Yeah I have to agree with this - Aster had been in the hands of the Slaughterhouse Nine for a while and if Taylor hasn't shot her she would have been in their custody for at least hours more, and Jack had no reason to hold back against her any longer. Even Golem knew that is was a mercy killing, even if he didn't want any confirmation of it because mercy killing a 3 yr old is pretty dark. Just look what they put Riley/Bonesaw through in just one evening when the Nine first met her. Taylor made a terrible choice, but it was the right choice and no one in story has given her even a moment of grief about it, not even the girl's brother.

Grey Boy's loops still continue to exist even though he doesn't, right?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

^^^^^ ah, that makes more sense than how my brain was parsing it. :)

berenzen posted:

Taylor got the broadcaster shard didn't she? Which is similar to the communicator shard, but not quite the same.

I thought it was pretty clear that Jack has the broadcast shard (I don't think there is a separate communication shard), which is why he could communicate with Scion despite being covered up with containment foam. Also he could broadcast to and somehow know what capes were doing. I sort of like the idea that his attack is just broadcasting a knife cut (or something). I need to reread Scion's interlude again, between that and the Faerie Queen's explanation I feel like I should understand it all more than I do.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that Glaistig Uaine's shard is the one that calls back/reunites shards as they die and/or at the grand finale.

Yes, something like that. She's interested in the end of the act and moving on to the next play, which would indicate gathering all the shards up, exploding all the Earths and moving on to a new planet, in the Worms' life cycle. But of course this cycle is broken, with the death of the companion/thinker worm, and the unknown third worm probably around somewhere.

I have to think that Cauldron is somehow connected to the third worm, because Scion didn't recognize their shards at all, while he knows his own and also the 'dead' shards of the companion. And Wildbow pointedly didn't have Scion think about the Endbringers at all in his interlude, which is maddening. :lol:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Worm update reaction: :stare:

Wow. I just can't imagine where the story goes from here...and I like it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Worm: We'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge!

This chapter was a hell of a thing. :stare:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Eidolon's origin makes him pretty similar to Captain America. I'm not complaining!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

OmniBeer posted:

Oh, god, I remember laughing like an idiot when I hit Battery's reaction to that whole situation.

"Wait! No! You can't do that!"

I was pretty (slaughterhouse 9 arc?)devastated when Battery died. Assault and Battery were minor side characters but they really felt like they had their own full stories that we were just teased with in her interlude.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I can't understand, if Eidolon created/projected the Endbringers then why do they exist after he does not? Wait, it's because he used one of his rotating powers to create them so they continue after him? So not like the Siberian.

I think I answered my own question.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

At this point I'm starting to think that Wildbow deserves some sort of reward for his ability to just keep upping the ante. Oh yeah does this mean that Defiant's nano-thorns can hurt Scion or does it just mean that Simurgh thinks it's worth a shot?

Probably the latter, but they'd have to find his real body anyway because the golden man is just a projection like the Siberian.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

Who was the third endbringer that Doctor Mother was talking about ?

Tohu. Or Bohu, whichever one it was that showed up. The one that hasn't showed is the only 'unclaimed' Endbringer at the moment. Khonsu was sold by Teacher to Cauldron, the PRT/Wards have Leviathan and ..Bohu?, and Taylor's group has the Simurgh. :gonk:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Based on comments made the plan is to finish, edit and then self publish the ebook. A physical copy might show up later if the money for it materializes.

A physical copy would probably take up a whole shelf of my bookcase. :D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I just read Ra and it's good...but confusing. Really confusing. I think I know what's going on, but I could be wrong. Is there an update schedule or is it just whenever?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

So, just what the everloving crap is up with Imp?

Is she perma-regented? He never showed any implication that he could entirely leave his original body that I recall, but he always was pretty secretive about his powers. Or is she Pretendered? Or was it actually a dose of Teacher all along? It's presumably not Satyrical, given that she still seems to have use of her powers and I don't think Satyrical copies things. But she doesn't seem to be on the earbuds, which you would have expected her to be.

Heck knows.

She has an ear bud, she was just telling Tattletale she'd like to hear the cliff notes on the Irregulars after Lung said he didn't want to be distracted. If that's the exchange that made you think she didn't.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I have to say that Imp's Heartbroken are amazingly named. Regent's dad is Heartbreaker - all of that (him moving in on Brockton Bay, her avenging Regent) was just barely touched on after the time skip but I love it. And the statue with all the wedding rings from the women Heartbreaker twisted. Chills. Wildbow has a way of artfully naming things.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

Worm 29.5 welp, next chapter is going to be a loving nightmare. I don't know how to interpret this other than Scion is about to attack them. Maybe Satyrical is bluffing, but my gut tells me he's not and things are about to get really really loving bad.

Worm: Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire

I'm not sure how Satyrical knows Scion is coming, but it may be explained later.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think if Canary had ever practiced with her power she'd be able to sing like the Simurgh. Which is...interesting.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Lyon posted:

I dunno, seems to me like if it was Scion they'd be, to quote Snatch, "proper hosed." Maybe it is one of the other Endbringer level characters we haven't been introduced to yet. Of course, since they're going to rescue Contessa and the Doctor I suppose that does give them some escape options so maybe it is Scion.

It's the Sleeper. He stumbles into the room only to fall down and start snoring. The sound of his snores tear everyone apart with sonic waves.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I think I'm going to have to read that chapter a few times because I didn't get why Satyr was doing what he was doing either. Just a death wish?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

So, what are the odds at this point that Worm ends with all the Earths exploding?

I'm holding out for the Travelers to arrive again from Aleph at some point. For all the talk of alternate Earths at this point Aleph has been pretty blatantly left out.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Cytokinesis posted:

If someone can tell me who I need to go to to get the title changed I'll get a new one, but no one has answered yet.

I'm pretty sure you just need to PM a mod?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Algid posted:

It was shattered along with all the glass by Scion, that's also why Dr's vial blew up in her hand before she could drink it.

Shatterbird power spotted!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

There was another thing? Serial wise anyway. The only other i remember at the moment is a book series.

I think he's talking about Ra. It's pretty good but no where near as long as Worm. Worm is like ten books, Ra is like a quarter of a book.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Maybe Taylor will get the ability to gift shards/powers to people. :shrug:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

Triggers are always accompanied by the visions when they happen in real time, but the visions are (almost) never remembered when recounting those triggers. Taylor saw no visions during the Bakuda attack, and Taylor recounted no visions during her locker trigger. There is room for a second trigger to have happened during only one of these events.

Something, we don't have many clues, but she has to have done something. The clues we have thus far are; reminding Lisa of her brothers suicide, reminding Taylor of Dinah's words, hiding a metal capped three foot diameter seven foot long glass tube in a giant blow dryer, killing Accord, creating Echidna, driving Alan Gramme insane, messing with Panacea's warning, and a whole lot of maybe warping peoples minds such that they got in Taylor's way or revealed Cauldron's secrets. The problem is, without some sort of Motive, it's basically impossible to tell what a precognative is up to by examining their actions. But we do know that nothing The Simurgh does is random or accidental.

She also is entirely responsible for the Travelers, which I realise you covered in killing Accord and Echidna, but there is always Trickster being part of Teacher's group which might come into play later. Or the fact that there are several highly powered capes in Earth Aleph now. Who knows!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I thought the "male guards his offspring" bit was for the first shard Zion gifted, and he was surprised that in humans it was the young who were better able to utilize the shards, rather than a mature human. After the girl triggered and took the shard, all future shards were distributed to the young.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Wow. Wow. That was amazing.

I was able to figure out who most of the people were from the descriptions, too, which is pretty amazing in and of itself and a testament to Wildbow because he's created so many different characters. I thought maybe the guy with the rods that pinned her neck? was Trickster at first before I understood what he was doing. Also, Trickster was killed last chapter. *moment of silence* I'm not sure who the rods guy was. I LOVE that Imp was doggedly following Taylor around, helping her out.

Glastig is a terrible person, I can't believe she killed poor Doormaker right after he got the ability to talk, poor guy.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

His entire species is terrible, and he was a dick, but I sort of feel sorry for Scion.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

What a ride. What an ending.

Can't wait for the epilogues. I'm hoping for a Tattletale one.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

veekie posted:

Interestingly, it seems that the last we saw of the 'real' Taylor, was the thought that everything went wrong. Everything after that was Administrator, growing increasingly out of touch with Taylor, who became the 'passenger' the invisible impulses that led her to irrationally spare friends. Administrator, who was so incredibly skilled at managing multiple powers and coordinating them to a combined effort. Administrator, who never was human to begin with, and had no use for human concepts like language or empathy.

All the ability to communicate derived from Taylor, who, like how Administrator normally supplied her with intuitive knowledge of how to control insects, supplied intuitive language ability to the extent of gross symbols. Except, when her body grew tired and her mind started cracking from the stress, Administrator didn't feel it anymore than the combined pair felt the discomfort of the capes under their control. So Taylor grew weaker and no longer could support Administrator's decision making, she likely collapsed after Scion's defeat, and was only moving by dint of her power controlling her unconscious body. Even when finally knocked unconscious, we know the shard can still operate(see Alexandria), and it held on control, though the Taylor side of the combination recuperated sufficiently to resume some degree of human comprehension and communication.

Contessa was thus, trying to verify if there was any way out. A solution which might have the shard release control over Taylor's body, and after that, to restore Taylor's own control.

Funny that the unarmored part of her costume, mentioned very much early on, became relevant here.

This is great and I'm glad you posted it because it makes so much sense.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:( Clockblocker :(

The body count in this story is staggering.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I love the idea that Valkyrie (seriously, these names are so great) could possibly bring back the dead she has collected through Nilbog's creations. Transdimensional New York City is such an awesome concept as well.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fellwenner posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm finding annoying about these epilogues. I was hoping for some Taylor closure and she's still been barely mentioned. This story / universe is well enough written that sequel hooks aren't really needed at all.

They're bonus chapters written because readers paid for them and requested the characters we're seeing. You could probably drop them out of the story entirely and be fine (though we'll see after this last and official chapter that is coming up). I don't mind them, and I don't begrudge Wildbow paying some bills with this extra bit of character and world building. It may not be what I wanted to see in the epilogues, but I didn't drop $ on it to get a say so I'm not complaining. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Teacher certainly implies that it's her fault, not her power's.

It's also implied that guys who don't return her affection (ex boyfriends) go worse than her actual boyfriends, i.e. Chevalier is in danger?

• Locked thread