Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think Wildbow has proven that he can write smart/clever characters and intrigue quite well. I am enjoying Peer, but to be honest I'm pretty sure I'll read whatever Wildbow writes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I don't like that we're only going to be able to read past the first three chapters with one of these stories. :colbert: I want to read them all!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Have you ever been in a town that was looking to become a city in the next decade or so?

That aside, there's only one good candidate for releasing Barbatorem, and that's Molly. Which doesn't really jive with her death very well. Illusion? I guess we'll find out :unsmigghh:
But Molly didn't have the key to the tower, nor did she read the note. Accidental release perhaps but who would be so careless as to leave something near the circle that could fall onto it and disturb it? Mr. Beasley perhaps did something or..?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Maybe a new thread for Pact?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Has Jeremy just hosed up? He specified carefully that Conquest was not to harm the Duchamps, but a LOT of that family have been married off and aren't Duchamps any longer, technically...

I think the fact that we know that the Duchamps are all women, marry to further the family magically/politically/whatever and are bound to have only female offspring due to...something, and yet are all called Duchamps means they don't take the name of the sperm donor they have married and are all considered Duchamps. Sandra is certainly a Duchamp despite her marriage to Jeremy.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Kalas posted:

What's a million words between friends.

Either way, it's an insane amount of writing to turn out in a few years. I really hope Wildbow gets a good editor and starts to sell his writing as actual books.

He should probably talk with Hugh Howey, who self published the Wool series.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

If it was just a Pact thread then we could not use spoiler tags at all, just tell people not to read up unless they've read the latest update. Maybe.

I'm a little worried about our heroes, guys. :ohdear:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

Golden Rules for Worm; nobody is untouchable and it can always get worse.

Out of the frying pan, into another frying pan.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I am enjoying the story but it does sort of feel like Blake is running on a treadmill - lots of action but not getting ahead.

Edit: which, ultimately, could be the entire point. It has been hammered home that his situation is pretty much hopeless. If it goes on too much longer (and I don't think it will, as the Conquest arc is coming to a close and I anticipate a paradigm shift with the conclusion of that) Pact is going to really suffer I think.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Poor Maggie!!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

Signature 8.6

-“Vestiges, children,” Johannes said, drawing his pipes from one pocket. “Find another place to hide for the time being.”

“Why-” Ben started.

But Johannes was tapping the set of brass pipes against his ring.

Metal chimed, a brief sound like that from a tuning fork.

“Begone,” Johannes said.-

He also mentions them when talking to maggie/mags about his familiar.

It could be that he can control vestiges with them, which is why Blake is told to stay away.

I dunno, I'm finding all this fascinating and confusing. :D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

I wonder if that 'deal' with the Light God is going to bite Blake in the rear end. Either the god answered a small bit of worship/prayer in helping Blake curbstomp Ur or it was an act so minor the god was running on autopilot. In the first case it might not have been a freebie.

I figured it was trading worship for light. Not a 'deal' so much as just powering up the god with a tiny bit of worship (American Gods, Small Gods style)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, something feels off about that last bit to me too. Was Blake in mirror-land the whole time he was fighting Ur? We don't see any description of anything like how Rose said mirror-land was. He also has his own reflection, and isn't limited to certain places like Rose was. Also if he was in mirror-land couldn't he just have used that to jump out of Ur's factory?

I feel like he might have been in real-world for the start of the chapter, and somehow accessed the mirror because he didn't have another way to get back to Jacob's Bell.

Wildbow confirmed in the comments that Blake did not fight Ur in the physical world (but he didn't specifically say he fought Ur in the mirror world so :tinfoil:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Love the new chapter, but it felt short. :( We are seeing some classic Wildbow frying pan/fryer situations develop. :allears:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Awakening the Thornburns and taking on the responsibility for everything they do in perpetuity seems like such a terrible idea that I can't wait to see what Blake does with them. :allears:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The way Peter is good at reading people and picks up on things so quickly, and finds unconventional ways to fix a problem reminds me a lot of Blake.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The old woman is the old aboriginal woman practitioner who lives in Jacobs Bell. Maggie went to see her when she lost her name.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

If Corvidae messes with Rose by giving Blake back his connections it would be perfection.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Duress 12.2 The witch hunters were the least of our problems, with the Thorburns gathered in the diabolist library, and monsters at the gates.

:ohdear:

I can't think of any aces they might have up their sleeves - a lot of wildcards though with the Thorburns. Barboretum doesn't work as an ace if no one can control him.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I suspect that anybody can make a deal with Barbatorem on their own initiative (if they can work out a communication protocol / Rose's works for other people), they just don't necessarily have the benefit of non-Seal preexisting conditions.

Which, you know, could be important.

Blake dealing with Barbatorem seems like the only sensible Wildbow thing to do - a solution to a problem that quickly becomes a worse problem.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Blake also bedded a bunch of girls and built chicken coops, built displays and frames and such for art pieces, and worked manual labor on a farm. I'm not saying a girl can't do those things but for me it throws the idea that Rose is the real one and Blake was cut out from her into doubt. I'm in the Blake is the original camp for now.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ty already has the gateway open to the other side though. We'll see. It always gets worse. ;)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

He left the humans behind. Very meaningful word choice there.

:ohdear:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Well, I'm not quite sure this is as bad as it can get for Blake, but it's pretty close. :ohdear:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

He's reading Worm, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Maybe he still has plans to use them. :shrug: