Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah that seemed kind of neat! Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's an epub floating around if you know where to look.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Helen is getting the parts for a computer and putting them together, installing the software you designed on it. At the end of it you have a computer that does what you expected it to do.

The primordial life is Shodan. It's giving the machine the intelligence and capacity to upgrade itself and build its own hardware and write its own software.

Helen will never change without Ibbots intervention, she won't hit puberty or grow older (correctly, at least, I think), it's all artificial. She has no capacity to change or, as far as the scientists know, evolve.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 12, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig is good, I really liked the primordial interlude.

But, I think I'm gonna give up on Unsong for now. It's slowing crawling up it's own arse.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This one seems to be new:
https://twigserial.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/cropped-twigheader5.png

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It might be this one? Apparently it's the banner on topwebfiction.
http://mahasim.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Twig-Banner-557896276

Suddenly the name Twig is starting to come into context.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Question is, will Sy and Jamie ever get to work that out...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Keep an eye on the top banners, there tends to be one for each of them, although no Helen yet as somebody pointed out earlier. Is there a Lillian one?

You're right at the start, just stick with it.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 7, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sy, short, always imagine him a couple of years younger than he is. Black hair slicked back with pretty much a whole bottle of hair-control-stuff, otherwise it curls, always absolutely soaking wet and slightly manic. The banner image is good enough.

Jamie - Chest always obscured by a book. Long dark hair generally tied back like a sailor. I always thought he had dark hair but he might be blonde? I could not find an image for the life of me. Edit: Yep, blonde. Add a couple of years I guess, I ain't good at ages either.

Gordon - Blonde, handsome, muscular and confident. Think "Knight" with a dangerous undertone. Think a young Jaime from game of thrones or Joffrey if he ever smiled.

Helen - Golden hair in coils to about shoulder length. Beautiful in an old fashioned way, busty but not overweight. Pintrest needs to die in a fire. think this lady Jean Harlow, or Monroe if she hadn't been off her rocker.

Lillian:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 7, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Keep doing your sum-ups as you go along, it's interesting! I really ought to go back and read it again from the start, reading it as it comes up means it gets dragged out over a long time and details get forgotten...

The way the Percy stuff was resolved was interesting, it felt like it could have gone a lot of different ways, but the way it went was good. Do wonder how much Mary is repressing her emotions and how that's going to play out.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 14, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It might be something that comes later, going off roughly when that banner went up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

We're supposedly at least halfway through.

Gitro posted:

8.7: I guess the best you can say is that he's still pretty tilted with new-Jamie. Except everyone else went along with it and no one suggested like 'maybe we shouldn't risk getting killed or worse for the sake of Lillian's potential patronage.'

Lillian is like, the one lamb who's probably going to survive their teens, so a lot of the focus, at least from Sy's and possibly Mary's point of view, is on her and her actual possibility of a future.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 19, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:allears:

Not real spoilers, but enough if you're just starting I guess : Despite what they've done their, their handlers really view them as tools. Helen has, as far as everyone outside the lambs is concerned, no free will at all, and the others are much the same. Lillian is a student thrown along for the ride, Jamie is just a front for project caterpillar, Sy is a wildcard, barely controlled. I think Ashton sat that one out? I get the impression Mary is viewed along the same lines as Helen.

Ah, you never mentioned Gordon
!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Man, Twig, it was all going so well...

On another note, this Citadel thing isn't terrible: https://unillustrated.wordpress.com/monster/

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 6, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

bagrada posted:

Back on the Web Serial topic, Twig is kind of wearing me down. Part of me hopes he will wrap it up soon.

The way it's going, he won't have much choice. :v:

Pact went up to 16.13 so I guess we're getting close to that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig is good!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

So I just read the whole of Mother of Learning over about 2 days, how often does this thing update?

Also, I'd completely forgotten Fictionpress was even a thing, I read some great and also some awful stuff on there as a kid...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Fair enough, maybe I'll skim off some of what I give to Wildbow and give to them instead! :)

Man, I just logged into my old fictionpress account, it looks like all the good stuff I'd favourited is long gone, leaving only the trash, and what utter dregs they are.

There used to be some cool stuff in there too, one girl who updated every day for a while, writing a gypsy caravan fantasy in real time day by day (She gave up and it was probably awful), a good retelling of Cinderella, some neat sci-fi, I wonder where it all went and if any of them ever got published...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There, I finished The Gods are Bastards, it was pretty good, but not as good as Mother of Learning, much easier to make an rss feed for though. I'd like to see a word count. Now onto... A Practical Guide to Evil?

Also, holy poo poo I really am gonna skim off some of what I give to Wildbow to give to this guy. Reading the comments as I went along I think somebody has placed a bad luck curse on him, he needs all the help he can get.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 16, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that either but I'm warming up to it as it goes along. That bit was good, and it's not like it hadn't been hinted at from right near the start I guess.

Started a practical guide to evil, chapter 3 so far, it's ok but god drat there's a lot of typos, word-mistakes and random tense changes. I'm assuming it gets better?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

So I got bored of all that and decided to work my way down the list of topwebfiction, here's how it went.
1: The Good Student - how does this have top billing and nothing but positive comments. It reads like it was written by an autistic 7 year old.
2: Twig - Twig doesn't get enough love.
3: How to Avoid Death on a Daily Basis - I think I've seen this anime. Slightly better written than The Good Student but still shoddy.

1 and 3, they're both so... Emotionless, with no spacing between things happening. "I woke up and found myself lying on the ground and I discovered I was having a panic attack, I hadn't had a panic attack in a long time. After I got better I got up and started to look for food, I remembered my family back home and felt sad, somebody suggested we hunt for dinner, I..." and so on. Tell don't show?

4: Super Powereds - I'm put off just by the title. Within the first sentence it's exhibiting the same problem as the two above.

prologue posted:

The two well dressed men materialized outside of a small white brick building. The taller of the two pulled out a small notepad, made an entry with the slash of a few pen strokes, then stowed it away once more.

“Where are we Mr. Transport?” The speaker was the shorter man, wearing a black suit with a black tie and presently putting on a pair of black sunglasses to fight back the sun’s penetrating glare.

“Arizona, Mr. Numbers,” replied the taller man, who by elimination could only be Mr. Transport, as he adjusted the sunglasses he was put on before they departed.
I've been trying to give these at least 3 chapters but I just can't do it. I skipped ahead about a thousand chapters and I'm pretty sure it doesn't improve. Is dialogue really that difficult to write?

5: Worm - It says a lot that this is still at #5.
6: The Gods are Bastards - This one is actually good, I read it up there. It even manages to be funny! Recommended!
7: Unsong - I tried this in the past and followed it for a while, did it ever crawl out of it's own arse? It wasn't as badly written as that guff up there anyway, it just got a bit um, deeply into it's own system and references I felt. I think it was on chapter 7 when I got bored of it.
8: A Practical Guide to Evil - It's ok, I don't like what it's doing with chapter 16, which is turning suddenly into an enders game type "you're controlling troops now!" scenario, but without any build up, training or emotional investment to actually make that work. I'll probably give it another go, later.
9: The Wandering Inn - Writing is still a bit haphazard in places, the author has no idea how to work speech into a paragraph and names are overused, but it might get past that. [Hint: It doesn't] The idea is pretty cute anyway and that's almost enough to save it, but it's not an easy read. Worth having a look at.

Another thing I've noticed they all do is weirdly specific units of measurements that make no real sense, "She found a river a few miles from home, it was nice and close for fetching water" "He searched around his feet for an hour before giving up" "she sat in the chair for an hour before thinking "I'm hungry". She sat in the chair for another hour before getting up" "he was given water that made him feel drowsy. A second later, he’d fallen on his face and everything had gone black."

10: The Iron Teeth - yet another story told in the "this this happened he was bored then that happened he did the thing" style, I don't know what it's called but I don't like it. It has all the same issues as the rest of them, within the first few paragraphs.

Why is this list filled with such trash! Maybe it's because all the good authors get themselves book deals...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The comicrocket one seems to be the closest I could find. Fictionpress offers search-filters for categories, which would limit it down to two stories to sub to, but then only lets you rss subscribe to the whole category, thousands of terrible <1000 word stories, thanks very much. It doesn't have it's own community or reddit thing. You can subscribe to the fp author page but that doesn't update when they update their stories, only when they post a brand new one, which is insane. Combined with the other little quirks it adds in, it's a stupidly awful website in general.

Maybe subbing to the whole fantasy category and then filtering in your rss reader would work, but the free version of feedly I've been playing with doesn't allow you to do that, would mean setting up ttrss or something.

On another note, I started working my way down the list again, clicked Twisted Cogs and haven't looked at any of the others since, this one is good, and complete I think!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

DarciisFyer posted:

I use the author feed: https://www.fictionpress.com/atom/u/804592/feed
It doesn't add entries like a normal feed, but still gives notification when it updates.
Helps that Mother of Learning is the only work under this author.

There was an update yesterday, this feed showed nothing for me, but the comic rocket one worked great.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Finished Twisted Cogs, that was pretty good, even if it had a bit of a naff ending. Reminded me a lot of all the books I read when I was about 13.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Vateke posted:

Is he still doing that? That's what made me stop reading Pact. It's just exhausting to read about things going wrong over and over again.

Yep.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I recommend Worm and Twig to people but I don't recommend Pact. I should read it again at some point but even the thought of it makes me tired.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

[Enemy III: Arc 18] Twig is getting kinda heartbreaking. I wonder if the lambs will make it back. And how many of the people around him are still real. The comments suspect that Shirley and Pierre have been gone for a while. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Stop making me want to read it again!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think that was just a Worm problem though, I don't think he uses it at all in Twig, although it would be appropriate sometimes...

How are you getting on with Twig? I was enjoying your updates! Has Jamie died yet? :p

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah Duncan doesn't get much screen time, but he seems much better later on. Or maybe just from outside Sys perspective.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

No, it's heartbreaking :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Didn't wildbow say at some point that The gunshots basically gave her permanent unfixable brain damage and she's in a coma somewhere, with Tattletale and the others secretly looking after her body, but he made it a bit too subtle?

I liked Worm, but I'm not sure I really want Worm2...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For real

The back quarter or so of 7 with the arrival of Jamie 2.0 and Ashton was actually loving crushing, watching Sy deal with the first thing in there

And the Interlude from all the different POVs was fantastic

Twig is absolutely heartbreaking at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Nope, still going. Still on the same schedule. Maybe you need to refresh?

• Locked thread