Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I just finished the first volume of The Gods are Bastards, and I was not prepared for how quickly Prin became the best character.

I also can't help comparing it to another magic university web serial and being glad the author doesn't seem to have a fetish for being eaten, despite Juniper being... Juniper, and eating people occasionally.

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. Better than Pact for sure. It manages to handle the fundamental schlock of a very obvious D&D setting quite well. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mad Hamish posted:

I thought it was kind of cool that there isn't a happy ending for anyone.

You are entirely wrong about some folks. :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I caught up on the new series Yoraikun is translating, Dragoon it's actually pretty good, a lot better than that last series he was translating. Also another reminder for people that Sevens is a good series and you should read it.

Also Shalvation was joking about translating a new webnovel on his site. *joking about translating, the webnovel and novel is real.
https://shalvationtranslations.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/fur-deutschland-zu-ubersetzen-ist-unsre-hochste-ehr/

So as you can see, webnovels have now peaked. It's all downhill from here folks.

:stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Arc 22 is quite possibly my favorite, but I'm a real sucker for good "characters in a room" tension and development.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

In other news.

I have a graduate degree in tissue engineering and I keep being impressed by how creative (and biologically plausible if obviously far-fetched) the Twig monsters are. A good quarter of the reason I keep reading is because I am so drat curious to see what kind of utterly hosed up monstrosity turns up next. Someone should recruit him to write research grants or something.

Yes, this will end well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

blastron posted:

You've hit it.

e: wait, I misread. I thought you were talking about not being able to get into Pact. Oops, um,

Read until after they go to investigate the prep school, which is like 3-ish arcs in, I think. The group dynamic really changes for the better.

I thought about recommending this but it's literally through the first arc. :v:

Which on the plus side makes it short enough to easily power through.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Megazver posted:

Out of curiosity, who do you guys think the Red Robe is in Mother of Learning?

My personal excessively obvious guess is Zach's guardian.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Twig Chapter Two: just got to the off handed mention that the Crown is America and I just holy poo poo

Not exactly, but the Crown States are America.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I just caught up with Twig.

It feels like Sy doesn't have much longer to live, and I think Wildbow has said Twig will be ending soon, but there's a lot unresolved; we haven't even met the Lord King yet.

Maybe it will end with them killing the Infante and taking over the Crown States, and the epilogue will set up a conflict between the newly independent America (led by the surviving Lambs) and the Lord King that won't be returned to until a few years later when Wildbow writes a sequel.

A tangent: "Lord King" is a kind of silly title, but a lot of the high-ranking Nobles have silly titles. I guess the idea is that titles like "Infante" and "Archduke" reflect the Crown's claim to Spain and Austria as well as Britain, but "First Augustus" is just odd. Especially because in Diocletian's Tetrarchy, the Augusti were the senior Emperors, but he seems to be slightly below the Infante. I suspect WIldbow came up with weird titles in part to distance them from the real-world British royalty and nobility; if he made, say, the Earl of Pembroke a villain, the real one might take offense.

I mean, the mightiest figures in Pact were the Lord of Toronto, a middling demon, a middling angel, and the lawyers. It wouldn't be inconsistent at all for Wildbow to, in Twig, be telling the story of a chunk of the Crown States as they get blasted by the Academies, with the Infante and the Duke as the top Crown figures. Especially in light of the Noble-Academy thing we've been delving into - the real enemy is the massive overarching structure, not the dude who happens to be sitting on the throne at this particular moment.

Well, the massive overarching structure, and the voices in Sy's head that may be wanting him to set up a almost as evil overarching structure to protect the Lambs. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also the chapter where Taylor and her dad have the meeting with the school is the best chapter in the entire thing

Fight me

That was pretty good, but the whole Taylor Gets Arrested arc was longer and also amazing.

I am admittedly a sucker for People In A Room structure. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

To try to move this away from the most interminable philospohical argument in recorded history Im just wrapping up arc 6 of twig and holy poo poo is the Duke terrifying. Just a superhuman royal with no fucks to give about anyone else, nobody to tell him no

I guess I never thought about what the broader society was like, with the focus on the lambs and their missions, but goddamn

Also poor Jamie. Poor Gordon.

E. I WROTE THAT BEFORE THE END OF 6.13 WHAT THE gently caress WILDBOW WHT YOU GITTA DO THIS

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Arc 7 is a motherfucker too

Twig is goddamn amazing and Wildbow's best work to date by far, and I'm in the party that loved Worm both for Taylor's steady descent and for the This Is How People Get Involved With Gangs Allegory.

• Locked thread