Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I have been following Worm for some time now; it's one of the better things I've ever read in any genre. The first time I saw it I basically marathoned through the archives overnight forgoing sleep; I didn't really regret that. It's got really interesting plotting and writing, with strong characters and a great setting and background detail.

For another Web Serial, I strongly recommend Ra, by Sam Hughes. It is a great story with strongly written characters and one of the most interesting and intriguing settings I have read. The author's own summary, which doesn't really do justice to it, is as follows:

Ra posted:

Magic is real.

Discovered in the 1970s, magic has matured into bona fide field of engineering. There's magic in the factories, magic in your television. It's what's next after the information revolution.

Student mage Laura Ferno has designs on the future: her mother died trying to reach space using magic, and Laura wants to succeed where she failed. But first, she has to work out what went wrong. And who her mother really was.

And whether, indeed, she's dead at all...

His other fiction on his website includes a number of shorter pieces, and the enormously long Fine Structure; These are all tremendously variable in quality, with Fine Structure in particular having some really amazingly well-written and interesting parts as well as some really poor sections. But Ra is uniformly excellent in every section so far, so I recommend checking that out.

The only major qualification I have against recommending Ra is that it is published both irregularly and infrequently, even by the standards of web fiction (most of which is nowhere near as regular and consistent as Worm).

Edit to avoid double-posting: The most recent section of Worm, Interlude 24, just got posted. It is really, really incredibly awesome, and I am glad Wildbow didn't leave the situation in suspense until Tuesday as I was worried would occur

Great Gray Shrike fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I agree that I wasn't too enthusiastic about Worm's current story direction. It's a bit of a disappointment in a way after the huge amount of detailed and slow buildup before.

In other new, Ra has updated. I quite like this story's direction so far, and this latest chapter only reaffirmed that impression.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
In non-Worm news, Ra has updated recently.

It's quite interesting to see how things play out. I really liked this chapter, though I felt the ending was a bit cliffhanger-y. I look forward to seeing where this ends up.

• Locked thread