Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pavlov posted:

This is largely why I think Twig is his better story.

Speaking of which, I have this problem where I want to talk about Twig, but can't think of anything to say besides, "it's good I like it". Does anyone have any real opinions on it?

It's good I like it.

:colbert:

Real talk: it was my favourite of the ideas that Wildbow posted after Worm, I really like the team he's set up, and the world where it's REALLY not clear who's the 'good guys' and who isn't. Even our protagonists are pretty dark, but it seems like their opponents are generally darker.

The one thing I've been a little disappointed by (but only a little) is that it ramped up into major plot arcing so quickly. I was kind of looking forward to the idea I had of it basically just being a monster of the week type serial where the Lambs go out and track down a gribbly each chapter, something that works a little more on a serialised level, and you don't have to go right back to the beginning to get it. A sort of deeply twisted police procedural.

But twas not to be. It's definitely a great story, it's just not quite what I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pavlov posted:

In Twig news: I feel like the Duke jumped to conclusions too fast fingering Avis. Does anyone else think that's what's giving Sy that bad feeling?

Yeah, I'm with you here.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the Birdwatcher (I love Sy's names for the antagonists) will turn out to be guilty, but I feel like she's going to be a cover for a deeper plot. In particular, I find it very interesting how the Duke is never referred to by name; the way he's always called the Duke really makes him feel like another of Sy's named antagonist monsters...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Re Twig: Are you guys suggesting the Duke is in on the plot? That would be kind of strange given he's one of the people the rebels are trying to overthrow. Regardless, I'm really loving loving the Duke's character so far.
I'm suggesting that the Duke has at some point before the current events been killed and replaced. And as I've been writing that last sentence, it's become very obvious how that could have worked...

Oh. Oh dear. One of the Lambs is going to wind up assassinating the (fake) Duke and tried for it, and one of them will be executed for it, and that's the push they need to get themselves on the other side.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Interesting theory. But I'd think that assassinating, and especially replacing, royalty would be pretty hard given what we know about them. If the rebels (do they have a name yet?) are really that capable, I'm surprised they haven't practically won yet.

They HAVE, it's just no-one is aware yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Twig is really good at the moment. Like, really good. I'm having such a great time with it.

Helen is proper creepy though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

'Professional' is a weird grading given how lovely many professional authors are at writing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Your implied meaning of "professional" is weird. "Professional" means "able to get paid to do it more than a couple of times".

Well, that IS what professional means. It doesn't mean good, it means 'does it for a job'. Wildbow is currently a professional author (as, IIRC, patreon and donations are paying his bills).

E: to be on topic about it, I'd struggle with the idea that Worm is ever going to be published under the current structure of the publishing industry except via self-publishing it as ebooks. 1.5 megaword epics which don't really break down well into volumes won't fly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh nooooooo.

If the firstborn AREN'T the actual babies, then the fact that McCormick gave his child brain damage was both unnecessary (though from the sound of things, probably a kindness) AND dangerous - because he thinks his firstborn is damaged, when presumably it's completely healthy...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

blastron posted:

I'm pretty drat sure the blood flowers aren't an engineered plague at all, but the tiny fragments of primordial life that were told to bloom by the last remaining primordial in Lugh. I'm hoping that the next Enemy chapter we get gives us some insight into how the Academy is handling the thought that there's a horrific bioweapon out there that they didn't create.

Well duh. Was there any question that they were not?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Ah yeah, forgot about those two aspects of her power. I guess it wouldn't be too hard for some tinker to make a gun that fires bullets with an edge, but it would be kind of pointless since they would only penetrate slightly deeper than regular bullets (since she would probably only be able to charge like 1cm of the bullet). The crossbow actually does seem like the best long-range weapon for her.

Sabot rounds would have made sense.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I always thought that banner was Dog?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the link to Practical Guide to Evil. Great fun, got caught up over the last couple of days.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I enjoyed The Practical Guide well enough, but Jesus Christ would it kill the author to draft their poo poo? At least give it a once over :sigh:

I take it you mean copyedit/proofread here?

Because yeah, that's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is anyone else starting to find Twig a little tiresome? It's starting to feel that way to me - I'm struggling a little to keep up with each chapter change and the constant cast churn.

Still liking Practical Guide a lot though.

• Locked thread