Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, this looks interesting, but gently caress reading it all on the website. The FAQ makes mention of unofficial ebook collections of the chapters, would anyone know where I could find one? If I could just get most of the way caught up on my Kindle, I wouldn't mind reading the rest as it came out on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
I don't know about any of that, I just finished the first fight against Leviathan. Am I the only one who thought that due to Tattletale's description of it as a creature with a simple biology, basically sounding like an oversized crab, Taylor's powers were going to have some interaction with it?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, I agree, I'd figured she'd be able to sense it at most, definitely not control it.

Also I had a nightmare about bugs crawling under my skin last night :gonk:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished the bit where Skitter executes Coil and holy poo poo. I have no idea how Wildbow keeps upping the ante, or how he can possibly keep it up, but goddamn am I looking forward to finding out.

Whoops, sorry, didn't see that.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 15, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Oh god, Noelle :gonk:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

SerSpook posted:

So are you just starting that part, or just ending that part?

Just finished the Travelers' backstory.

E: She sounds like some hosed up version of Echidna.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Lprsti99 posted:

E: She sounds like some hosed up version of Echidna.

AHAHAHAHA I loving CALLED IT

E: to be fair, that was pretty obviously the idea

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 17, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
This has probably already been thoroughly discussed, but I enjoy hashing stuff out like this, so bear with me.

So, a thought I've had after reading the interlude where Crusader and Purity take Theo to the university to talk to the parahuman expert guy, as well as Tattletale's explanation of how the passengers are big, whale-kind-of beings in another dimension. During the interlude from Noelle's point of view, when she's fighting Eidolon, she realizes that her passenger wasn't supposed to go to her. That makes me believe that the effect of Cauldron's power-giving potion (for lack of a better term) is to force a passenger to connect to the person who drank the potion, meaning whoever that passenger was meant for doesn't get it.

We also know that the children of capes generally get powers similar to their parents' (Glory Girl getting light manipulation from Brandish and Flashbang, Panacea getting biology manipulation from Marquis). So, poor Theo, whose (presumed, it wasn't confirmed or denied yet) father and grandfather were metal manipulators, should have a similar power along those lines, and yet has not had a trigger event yet, though he really should have. Sure, he's evidently not been in a situation likely to cause a trigger event yet, hence them abandoning him at the end of that interlude, but what if one of the Case 53's, namely Weld, intercepted his passenger and got a warped version of what his power would have been?

That also leads me to wonder what would happen if someone who was eventually destined to gain powers normally drank one of the potions. Would it just bring on their trigger event more quickly? Would they get a completely different power than what they would have? What if they triggered afterward, would it be just like a normal secondary event, where they gain new powers, or would there be some sort of conflict? Can the person whose passenger was intercepted still trigger, and if so, do they get a new one, or is there some interaction with the person who got the original?

Goddamn, but it's been a while since a book made me think this hard. I love it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Algid posted:

"Inheriting" powers aren't based on getting a shard from any of the alien entities directly. The shards seem to fall across a pretty large section of space and time, but children of capes specifically get their powers because a nearby shard is mature and generates new shards. This was mentioned in the Scion POV.

Which I haven't gotten to yet :ssh:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

Then you really shouldn't be reading this stuff because we are only using spoilers for the lastest current arc or two.

No, I know, and it's fine, I just meant that my ramble was based on what I've read so far.

E: and other than when I bring it up, there's very little discussion going on about anything that's not the current arc, so I'm not too worried about it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

builds character posted:

1. Why wouldn't he just get weld's power?

2. Isn't his power like metal manipulation? He's manipulating physical stuff with his body. It's a similar vein, just not limited to metal and with the restriction that he has to use his body to literally shape the stuff vs just his mind.

I'm going off of this line:

Noelle posted:

It wasn’t me.

Whatever her body was, the intelligence and purpose that lurked inside her other half, whatever these powers were. It had all gone to the wrong person.

Gone to the wrong person, askew from the beginning, then twisted further by her own psychological issues, messed up by the fact that she’d only taken half a dose.

I kind of read that as just the act of taking someone else's passenger would change it somehow. It still has the same basic properties, but skewed somehow, I don't know, it's just an idea v:shobon:v. And Weld does seem to be limited to metal, considering how he has to avoid touching metal stuff or he automatically starts absorbing it.

E: Sorry if I'm annoying people by spouting these ideas off about stuff that's long past as far as the story goes, I'll stop if you want.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 18, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Hahahahaha holy poo poo Taylor is hard-core. Had her bugs chew open Valefor's eyeballs and filled them with maggots. What.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
You are the worst people.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Regent noooooo :(

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

There is worse to come.

That might as well be the tagline for the entire serial.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, Worm, I get it, no one is ever allowed to be happy, holy poo poo. They kill Behemoth, things are looking up, and then Khonsu happens, and is the most terrifying motherfucker ever, with the possible exception of the Simurgh.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Oh poo poo, Scion :stare:. It appears that Jack succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Finally caught up. :stare: I swear, there needs to be a reverse "It gets better" campaign for Worm.

"Hey, I know you're probably upset because you just read about Brockton Bay getting fisted by Leviathan, and you're hoping that things are going to work out in the end. Well, trust me, it gets worse. You ain't seen poo poo yet."

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

I think I'll try to read this again.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

DudeOnCrack posted:

Except he didn't seem to give a poo poo when the Siberian was literally standing in him doing exactly that. And I don't think a steel column(as big as it is) is gonna do the kind of damage the Siberian can against Scion.

You're ignoring both the fact that they pelted him with his 'wife's' dead body, leaving him stunned at the pure hosed-up-ness of it, plus, as was mentioned, he can't quite think straight/use his precog abilities as well near the Case 53's (Sveta), as well as apparently when he's near his counterpart.

At least, that's what I took from it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Oh holy loving shitballs :stare:.

TOOT BOOT posted:

How does Dinah know Taylor's future anyway, given that her power works based on specific questions?

As I recall, she gets glimpses of what happens in each possible future, and they arrange themselves as a mosaic that she can tell the relative sizes of. My guess would be the only way she saw them not getting curbstomped was by Taylor doing something like this.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

Thing is, Taylor's power is worrying, mostly because of Wildbow's writing. I'm pretty sure Wildbow would make more-or-less any power terrifying if pushed. Wasn;t there something in one of the comment threads about him taking something super-innocuous as a power and turning it into a super-powered hitman?

Yeah, the power was the ability to make words appear on any surface, which the hitman would use to make his target think that they're losing their minds, writing out parts of their 'suicide note' where only they could see it and similar things, until finally killing them and making it look like a suicide (roughly paraphrased from memory).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Jesus Christ Taylor :stonk:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Holy gently caress. I actually felt bad for Scion there at the end. Still, don't loving pick a fight with Taylor :black101:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

hollylolly posted:

I'm not sure who the rods guy was.

I don't remember if his name was Sifara like someone said, but it's the guy who connects two things together so that when one moves, the other moves with it. He connected capes to Khonsu so that when it teleported they were taken along, and connected everyone to that rock or orb or whatever and then when it was turned the people spun like the rim of a big wheel.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Hawkgirl posted:

What's a WAG, by the way?

Wild-Assed Guess

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

AgentHaiTo posted:

So just to get this straight, Imp has suddenly been so witty recently because once you correct her because she made one of her stupid puns, she can use her power to make you forget she just said something, and then say it as it was perfectly timed? So around Tattletale she was especially smart, because Tattletale always likes to tell people they are wrong...

Hahaha now I'm imagining Imp doing that when poo poo like Noelle was going down. "That poo poo can wait, I'm getting this right dammit."

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

leaves the story with an ending that does not really match the tone of everything that came before it.

Said tone being "Everyone dies, forever, poo poo sucks"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Oh man, that was fantastic. That said, I am actually mildly disappointed that Teacher never got drilled in the forehead, because goddamn would that have been cathartic. Still, that was probably the best possible way Wildbow could have ended the series.

As far as his next work goes, my interest based solely on the genres is probably Pact=Body>Face=Peer. Looking forward to any of them though.

• Locked thread